Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shimano shoe sizing

Options
  • 29-05-2019 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Looking at buying a pair of Shimano MT3 shoes, and it seems, online at least, the the recommendation is to go up a size. Chainreactioncycles, where I’m looking at buying, have Shimano size 10 1/2 as a euro 46.

I have never bought a pair of clipless cycle shoes before, so looking for some advice, or peoples own experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I take a size 10 or 44/45 in 'ordinary' shoes but take a 46 in Shimano cycling shoes. I'd say you could be a 47.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

I take a size 10 or 44/45 in 'ordinary' shoes but take a 46 in Shimano cycling shoes. I'd say you could be a 47.

Thanks wishbone, I'm a 10 normally, but the Shimano recommendations were for a 46. Looks like it was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

cletus wrote: »
    Thanks wishbone, I'm a 10 normally, but the Shimano recommendations were for a 46. Looks like it was spot on.

If you're buying from CRC, get 2 or 3 different sizes, they have free returns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Whyner wrote: »
    If you're buying from CRC, get 2 or 3 different sizes, they have free returns

You have to pay the return postage these days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭cletus

letape wrote: »
    You have to pay the return postage these days

Ah, I haven't the €180 odd to pay out to get 3 pairs of shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

I've always found Shimano MTB shoe sizing to be pretty accurate. I'm a 9.5 for ordinary shoes and size 44 in MTB shoes always fits well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Crippens1 wrote: »
    I've always found Shimano MTB shoe sizing to be pretty accurate. I'm a 9.5 for ordinary shoes and size 44 in MTB shoes always fits well.

Me too. I take 44 in regular trainers/shoes and 44 in Shimano shoes also.

If you can get to a bike shop that stocks shoes even if they're not shimano, my experience is as follows:

Shimano - sized accurately
    Diadora - sized accurately
    Lake - Sized accurately
    Sidi - go up one size
    Mavic - go up half to one full size (depending on the model)
    Specialized - go up 1/2 size.

You can always just go to a few shops and try on a few sizes to find your size and then order them online. I don't personally like doing that but if needs must...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I have to go up a size as well. Generally 45 in normal shoes, 46 in Shimano. I've on my 2nd pair now and was able to try on a few different pairs (M089, ME3) when I bought my last recently and I was 46 in all cases. I find width can be a problem - a lot of shoes seem on the narrow side for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

my shimanos from years ago were too small and had to send back.

I think amazon.co.uk might still do free returns on shoes. Amazon also have a rating system on shoes, where buyers can tick a box saying
    fits as expected
    a bit too small
    far too small
    bit too big

or similar.

Advertisement