Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do gel bibshorts end up like this?

Options
  • 29-05-2019 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

I have had this Altura Progel bib for 3 years, my first short with the pad glued, the others are sewn. The pad started to peel away around the edges from the short then it ended up like this.:confused:

It's time for a new one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are you washing at a high temp or using a tumble dryer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have two pairs of Altura Progel bibs, one pair is 7 years old now and been worn/washed countless times and still perfect.

I only ever wash them in a 30degree wash with non bio wash powder so maybe your washing yours at too high a temp or a biological powder which has reacted with the glue/pad. Or maybe they’re simply done and need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

/Off to ask the other half./

We've no tumble dryer. Might have used a bio detergent in the past but not for long. The min. washing temp is 40C or could be 60C.
    It's down to not paying a close attention to the label then. Lesson learned! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

padyjoe wrote: »
    /Off to ask the other half./

We've no tumble dryer. Might have used a bio detergent in the past but not for long. The min. washing temp is 40C or could be 60C.
    It's down to not paying a close attention to the label then. Lesson learned! :-(

Unlikely your default 'daily wash' cycle is 60c. More likely 40c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Do you use fabric softener?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

3 years..... probably time to change :)

Yes, guilty of using fabric softener too. :-( I could do without lovely smells but it's not me managing the washing department.

Time to change indeed :-), learned the hard way though that not reading the label could cause an expensive mistake! :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

padyjoe wrote: »
    Yes, guilty of using fabric softener too. :-( I could do without lovely smells but it's not me managing the washing department.

Time to change indeed :-), learned the hard way though that not reading the label could cause an expensive mistake! :-(

Pretty certain all cycling gears says not to use it. It can weaken stitching and fabric typically used in cycling gear. Also it does destroy the padding

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

Time to change indeed :-)

The bib shorts or the manager? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fabric softeners work by coating your clothes, which can interfere with the ability of sportswear to wick sweat away.

• Advertisement

Both! ;-)

Aging doesn't do any good for either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

I had progel bibs and the same thing happened to mine after a few years. Reckon it was repeatedly washing @40C. I have Endura FS260 bibs now, they are miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

30C and non-bio always! Most washes need only be 30C anyway

I generally do 99% of our washing but the one time my other half did she stuck on a 60C and included my brand new Castelli Perfetto :(

Ruined the jacket, tried nikwax washes and spray etc but it has never regained its water resistant properties!

Advertisement