Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Breakdown Cover

Options
  • 29-05-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Has anyone good or bad experience of using, or even just dealing with roadrescue.ie (seems to be from AXA Assistance, €99 annual) or breakdowncover.ie (Mapfree Assistance, €84)? Other than The AA, who are more expensive (€119 for a single 2 week trip), those are the only two I could find available to me, as an Irish resident.

There are several older threads that mention ADAC.de, who are the German AA. I called them, they spoke good English, but they explained that as of the last year when they changed their underwriters they no longer provide cover for non-German residents. Pity, as they are reliable and it would only cost €84/year.

FYI, my otherwise good insurance from Liberty does not include European breakdown cover—only Ireland and UK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

My TDM 900 left me stranded in Jaca northern Spain a few years back and i had taken out breakdown cover with Roadrescue.ie before i left Ireland. It was four days before the replacement part (stator) was shipped in from Belgium and the bike fixed but they actually put me up in a hotel in Barcelona for three of those nights as well as covering the bike recovery costs to the Yamaha dealership in Huesca which was a good hour away. Used them every year since for my European trips but never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

My TDM 900 left me stranded in Jaca northern Spain a few years back and i had taken out breakdown cover with Roadrescue.ie before i left Ireland. It was four days before the replacement part (stator) was shipped in from Belgium and the bike fixed but they actually put me up in a hotel in Barcelona for three of those nights as well as covering the bike recovery costs to the Yamaha dealership in Huesca which was a good hour away. Used them every year since for my European trips but never had an issue.

Thank you, this is very helpful and encouraging aging. Was it easy to get through to them when you were in Spain? Did they act quickly on the initial report while you were still roadside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Rafal wrote: »
    Thank you, this is very helpful and encouraging aging. Was it easy to get through to them when you were in Spain? Did they act quickly on the initial report while you were still roadside?

I was lucky in a way as i broke down in a garage forecourt and had shaded cover for the approx hour it took them to send out the recovery truck because it was 34 degrees that day. The only thing is they insisted the bike be brought to the Yamaha main dealers in Huesca and not a local bike repair shop but i didn't care as wasn't covering the costs of transport.

They where very easy to deal with on the phone and even arranged the hotel in Barcelona for me. Think it cost me 50 euro or around that for the 10 days cover but that was back in 2015.

Advertisement