Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deadly junctions

Options
  • 29-05-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Perhaps it would be useful for road designers if we were to name the deadliest junctions in Dublin (and in Ireland) and say why they're deadly. I'll start:

Christ Church Cathedral - drivers turning right from any direction can hit people riding bicycles, and the road is so wide that some drivers will undertake bicycle riders as they cross.

Eustace Bridge on Leeson Street - apart from the street and the motor traffic, the transition across the bridge and into the next section of the Grand Canal Cycle Route going south is awful, with that house garden wall blocking the view, and pedestrians and cyclists trying to navigate the blind corner.

Emmet Bridge in Harold's Cross - way too narrow and packed with cars, vans, buses, lorries, motorbikes; just build a cyclists' bridge across at Greenmount, for Chrissake, and run a protected cycle lane into town through The Tenters.

(Was going to add pictures, but screenshots of Google Maps apparently exceed the forum's allowable size.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kop Idol

Apologies, I know this is a serious topic but every time you use the word 'deadly'...I find myself applying my northside dubliner meaning, which is quite different ;)

Maybe 'dangerous' is a better title ? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Coming up to this junction and waiting at this junction if you are proceeding forward.

I've nearly being left hooked by drivers here a few times. Some people also use the left lane to go straight on, which is dangerous for cyclists.

The crappy cycle lane going up the middle can be a lonely place at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Coming up to this junction and waiting at this junction if you are proceeding forward.

I've nearly being left hooked by drivers here a few times. Some people also use the left lane to go straight on, which is dangerous for cyclists.

The crappy cycle lane going up the middle can be a lonely place at times.

Maybe name the junction place in case this thread is ever used as a reference by road designers and the links' addresses change?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Maybe name the junction place in case this thread is ever used as a reference by road designers and the links' addresses change?

I hereby name it Ballbag Corner.

Or Junction between R114 and Knocklyon Road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this is the one i pass through which you have to be on your toes for.
    it's not so much cars such as the burgundy golf which might left hook you, which is the problem; it's the traffic like the mitsubishi coming the opposite direction and turning across inbound traffic which is. too often the motorist in that scenario sees a gap between oncoming cars and goes for it, without regard for cyclists. i've emergency braked there on at least three occasions.

it's the rock road inbound, where it meets the bottom of booterstown avenue. and not a road where a motorist should be surprised to see a cyclist either; ironically it's yards from one of the council bike counters. and a bike shop.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3086891,-6.1961053,3a,75y,329.01h,89.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHkm2-fOTmTtnaHh3m49grg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Blake's Cross (which is actually a T junction) heading southbound on the R132.

Clontarf Road outbound at junction with Howth Road. Very easy to get side swiped in the cycle track by left turning motorists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Clontarf Road outbound at junction with Howth Road. Very easy to get side swiped in the cycle track by left turning motorists.
    you mean the junction in fairview?
    edit: i see the junction out kilbarrack direction is actually between the howth road and james larkin road. i had thought that it might still be called the contarf road at that point, not sure why i thought that.

I don't use it much but the junction where the N4 inbound crosses the M50 (beside The King's Hospital) is awful. It's a real 'squeaky bum' junction if you decide to remain on road.

you mean the junction in fairview?..
    Yes, sorry i should have been more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't know if its deadly but never liked the Junction at Haddington Road crossing to Bath Ave as there are essentially 2 "straight ahead" roads converging , never quite trust where cars are going to be

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

At this junction there is a sequence with green lights at the same time for both the cycle lane and the left-turning traffic !!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3033833,-6.2083241,3a,75y,270h,88.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-4m6I-YSS4kHYzF9wRB3kQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Crippens1 wrote: »
    At this junction there is a sequence with green lights at the same time for both the cycle lane and the left-turning traffic !!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3033833,-6.2083241,3a,75y,270h,88.49t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-4m6I-YSS4kHYzF9wRB3kQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
    That junction isn't helped by the cycle track going off road behind the bus stop just before it leaving cyclists 'hidden' for a bit. A fast moving cyclist will suddenly appear alongside a motorist just as they are preparing to turn left. I always slow right down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Perhaps it would be useful for road designers if we were to name the deadliest junctions in Dublin (and in Ireland) and say why they're deadly. ..

There's a lot of very poor road designs in Ireland. They don't seem to follow any common methodology either. In our estate the cycle lane has a different design at every junction. No pattern to it at all. You must really not give a damn if that's what you produce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't use it much but the junction where the N4 inbound crosses the M50 (beside The King's Hospital) is awful. It's a real 'squeaky bum' junction if you decide to remain on road.

Most (all?) of the N roads going over the M50 are complicated junctions for drivers, with cyclists as an afterthought.

and many of them have unnecessary traffic lights too.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

In fairness though (and I never thought I'd say it) but there is a cycle path (albeit shared with peds) which directs the cyclist over the M50 seperately to the road and onto the old lucan road. No junctions missed. The only issue I can see is access to this cycle path from the N4 (no ramp from the road after the bus stop). In any case down the old lucan road from N4 junction 2 is my preferred option... chapeau to the brave bodies using the N4 over the M50 it's bad enough in the car...

com1 wrote: »
    In fairness though (and I never thought I'd say it) but there is a cycle path (albeit shared with peds) which directs the cyclist over the M50 seperately to the road and onto the old lucan road. No junctions missed. The only issue I can see is access to this cycle path from the N4 (no ramp from the road after the bus stop). In any case down the old lucan road from N4 junction 2 is my preferred option... chapeau to the brave bodies using the N4 over the M50 it's bad enough in the car...
    Yes, I accept that and it's what I do now but the cycle route isn't immediately obvious to those unfamiliar with the area as it seems to begin several hundred meters before the junction. The first few times I cycled there I used the road until I realised that there has to be a less dangerous route.

EDIT: I see someone has made a Strava segment of the cycle route for that junction https://www.strava.com/segments/9959803

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yes, I accept that and it's what I do now but the cycle route isn't immediately obvious to those unfamiliar with the area as it seems to begin several hundred meters before the junction. The first few times I cycled there I used the road until I realised that there has to be a less dangerous route.

EDIT: I see someone has made a Strava segment of the cycle route for that junction https://www.strava.com/segments/9959803

There is cycle lane signs all the way from woodies up to that junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Are there signs bigger than this one? You could be in the bus lane thinking you need to be to go on straight and miss it.

I've always thought the sign on the N3 was a bit big, but at least you'd see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yes they are bigger and the cycle lane leads you towards the exit before the liffey valley junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Naas Road outbound at the Red Cow is a nightmare. There is a cycle/ped overpass that runs along the Luas line to the park and ride but either I'm blind or there are no signposts - except the one here that faces the wrong direction!

crosstownk wrote: »
    The Naas Road outbound at the Red Cow is a nightmare. There is a cycle/ped overpass that runs along the Luas line to the park and ride but either I'm blind or there are no signposts - except the one here that faces the wrong direction!
    I thought it was just me! I can never make head nor tail out of that junction the odd time I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I thought it was just me! I can never make head nor tail out of that junction the odd time I'm there.

The Naas Road form the Long Mile to Newlands is best avoided. Very busy with filthy, gravel and glass strewn cycle tracks.

Advertisement