Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion worth it or not?

Options
  • 29-05-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I own a bungalow and am thinking of doing at attic conversion and also converting the end of the bungalow into an apartment to avail of the rent a room scheme.
    Can planning permission be completed easily by myself?
    I either extend the room to the back ( no planning needed ) or to the front ( planning needed ) but the view is to the beach.
    If I go down the planning route - how long does it take and is there a danger it would be refused and turn into a merry go round application costing a fortune?
    Or is it better to carry on and apply for retention planning ?

I am not aufait with buildings or planning

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1971child wrote: »
    I own a bungalow and am thinking of doing at attic conversion and also converting the end of the bungalow into an apartment to avail of the rent a room scheme.
    Can planning permission be completed easily by myself?
    I either extend the room to the back ( no planning needed ) or to the front ( planning needed ) but the view is to the beach.
    If I go down the planning route - how long does it take and is there a danger it would be refused and turn into a merry go round application costing a fortune?
    Or is it better to carry on and apply for retention planning ?

I am not aufait with buildings or planning

Thanks for any help

Engage a Planning Agent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There are few things you need to consider first. Rent a room cannot be a separate part of the building and must be part of the main dwelling. Creating a separate place as you suggest would mean all the standard landlord issues such as tax etc...
    The standards of converted attics commonly seen in Ireland are not suitable for bed rooms as generally they are a third floor requiring a fire door and enclosed stairwell. In a bungalow I guess this wouldn't be an issue. In saying that most conversions don't reinforce the ceiling joists to a floor standard.
    Planning permission requires full plans so unlikely you could do this yourself.
    Anybody applying for planning usually talks to the local authorities before apply to see what they would allow so dont really go around and around.

You really would need to hire somebody but as stated your plan as described is a no go. People do something similar but keep it part of the main property but lock the doors or agree only part of the house is shared with out of bound areas. Dont believe this is illegal but it certainly not in the spirit of the rule.

Advertisement