Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory for smart TV

• 29-05-2019 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

I have a smart TV but need to buy external memory to be able to record. Any recommendations? Have no idea what I'm looking at.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

Can you say the make and model of your TV ? Most TVs with the record/pause live tv have specific requirements and these are set out in the user manual for the TV. If the printed manual did not come with your TV, it’s usually available online.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

It's Philips but not too sure about the model, I'd have to check later. We've previously used a USB stick for just episodes or a movie and that seems to work fine but I'd ideally like something a bit more streamlined and "sustainable".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

External USB HDD would give you more space.

You might need to get drive with independent power supply as USB port on TV might not provide enough "juice" for it to run.

You need to check if your TV support file system other than FAT32 and limitation (if any) max external storage it can read. This info should be available in manual by model.

What to do if the TV does not recognize a USB storage device?

FAT32 has volume and file size limitations. Could have problems if choose >2TB drive. NTFS would be better

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,

I recently installed a Philips TV for a friend and the TV formatted the drive itself before using it to record/pause live TV . The TV was compatible with FAT32 and NTFS devices.

The TV treated USB memory devces for playing back video files differently from those used for pausing and recording live TV - the same device couldn't be used for the same purpose, and a device used to store programmes recorded from the TV is effectively encrypted - for instance, the programmes can't be readily viewed on a computer.

This is a short excerpt from the User Manual of the TV concerned:
    USB Hard Drive

Installation
    If you connect a USB Hard Drive, you can pause or record a TV broadcast. The TV broadcast must be a digital broadcast (DVB broadcast or similar). Before you can pause or record a broadcast, you must connect and format a USB Hard Drive. Formatting removes all files from the USB Hard Drive.

To Pause
    To pause a broadcast, you need a USB compatible Hard Drive with a minimum of 4GB disk space.

To Record
    To pause and record a broadcast, you need a minimum of 250GB disk space.

Warning
    The USB Hard Drive is formatted exclusively for this TV, you cannot use the stored recordings on another TV or PC. Do not copy or change recording files on the USB Hard Drive with any PC application. This will corrupt your recordings. When you format another USB Hard Drive, the content on the former will be lost. A USB Hard Drive installed on your TV will need reformatting for use with a computer.

I strongly encourage you to fully check out the user manual for your TV, it'll save you time and trouble.

Cheers,

Ritz

Finally got around to figuring this out because Disney+ is free for a month. We have a 43PUS6101/12. Now, any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Finally got around to figuring this out because Disney+ is free for a month. We have a 43PUS6101/12. Now, any recommendations?
    https://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/43pus6101_12/43pus6101_12_dfu_eng.pdf
    Page 20 P4.10 , don't know what else to add.

Make, model, value for money size of memory recommendations. I've obviously already seen the manual, an excerpt of which is posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

SanDisk Extreme or ultra and I would suggest a 64gb should be enough, I have been using one of those since 2013 on our Samsung smart TV.

Usb stick or flash drive is what you need to purchase in my opinion.

SanDisk Extreme or ultra and I would suggest a 64gb should be enough, I have been using one of those since 2013 on our Samsung smart TV.

Usb stick or flash drive is what you need to purchase in my opinion.

I've already been using a flash drive for watching downloaded stuff but as above:
    To Pause
    To pause a broadcast, you need a USB compatible Hard Drive with a minimum of 4GB disk space.

To Record
    To pause and record a broadcast, you need a minimum of 250GB disk space.

So nowhere near sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Just read the highlighted piece on manual, it says usb hard drive 250gb minimum, in this case I would suggest a WD hard drive - you can pick up a 2tb for around €100, a 1tb will cost you around €70, both will have enough storage for you.

Currys/pcworld would have them available (might be cheaper online or elsewhere so shop around)

• Advertisement

Just read the highlighted piece on manual, it says usb hard drive 250gb minimum, in this case I would suggest a WD hard drive - you can pick up a 2tb for around €100, a 1tb will cost you around €70, both will have enough storage for you.

Currys/pcworld would have them available (might be cheaper online or elsewhere so shop around)

Thanks that's helpful :). I'm a bit confused about whether such a device would require it's own power supply or is it powered by the TV itself? Was hoping to get a card type gadget that can just slot into the TV...

Advertisement