Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building a boundary hedge / wall

• 29-05-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Myself and partner have just moved into a house in a mature estate.
    The lawns are mostly shared and no-one has a boundary wall. A small few have hedges. From talking to a friend who lives nearby, the done thing is that the neighbours take turns to mow each others lawn.
    Our house is on a corner site and the neighbours lawn is extremely overgrown, as is ours. We are planning to tidy the whole area up very soon.
    We will likely look into putting up a hedge in the near enough future as we don't want to be in a position where we are looking after their lawn as well as our own.
    We haven't met our neighbour, the curtains are always closed, the outside of the house looks a little neglected in general.
    We want to make sure we do everything by the book as we don't want to cause any disputes, any advice how to approach? We have a land registry compliant map

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're obviously entitled to plant a hedge or whatever, but I would start by putting a card through the neighbour's door introducing yourself and leaving a phone number.

They may be unable or unwilling to answer the door.

Don't bring up anything contentious on the first meeting/call.

Depending on their circumstances, you might want to consider mowing their lawn with their permission, because the tiny extra effort means the whole street looks nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Lumen wrote: »
    You're obviously entitled to plant a hedge or whatever, but I would start by putting a card through the neighbour's door introducing yourself and leaving a phone number.

Depending on their circumstances, you might want to consider mowing their lawn with their permission, because the tiny extra effort means the whole street looks nicer.
    Maybe not, op, check your landregistry deeds,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,169 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

mikeymouse wrote: »
    Maybe not, op, check your landregistry deeds,

What sort of conditions would restrict planting?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Yeah the card through the door is a good idea, we will offer to mow their lawn and take it from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'd say whoever wrote that would be a neighbour from hell.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

What sort of conditions would restrict planting?
    There may be a covenant in the deeds forbidding boundary fences or hedges.
    Worth checking first.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

So we discovered from talking to another neighbor that our next door neighbor is a recluse, doesn’t talk to anybody etc, fair enough. My partner spent the last couple of days strimming and mowing the entire front area, but we aren’t prepared to do this every time and it looks ridiculous if it’s half done. We want to put up a boundary of some sort. What steps should we take here, do I need to talk to my solicitor to establish the boundary line? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I'd say whoever wrote that would be a neighbour from hell.

Do you understand why this legislation was required?
    Clue, how is consent dealt with?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement