Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Monitor Installation in Apartment

Options
  • 29-05-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I want to try and get some form of electricity monitor set up in my apartment and was wondering if anyone has any experience they could share?

Most of the devices such as the Owl electricity monitor require installing a clamp over the cables at the electricity meter but unfortunately my electricity meter is located many floors and lots of concrete away from me. I do have access to a utility cupboard nearby which does have a thick black cable that I'm reasonably certain is my mains cable but I need to verify and I do have access to my fuse box. In the case of the fuse box the cables running in to it are inaccessible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Depending on the size and type of the multi panel, it may not be easy for you do fit the clamp. Also the distance to the display unit could be too far to send readings.

It would be much better option to get a electrician to fit it at the board in the apartment. It might require a small box to be fitted beside the board but its only a 30 minute job. You can take it with you if you do move at a later date.

Third option, is to get smart plugs that can control appliances and also give you usage history. Its more where things have gone now rather than an overall usage. One of many possible options

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Thanks for the link. I'm already using some device specific monitoring but being in an apartment everything is electric, including the heating, so an overall usage setup is still what I'm looking to get as all the other stuff that can't be monitored by the smart plugs constitutes the majority of my usage.

One other possible problem is the day/night usage with a storage heater so I think I need to get two sensors fitted.

I'll try reaching out to local electricians to see if they do anything like this.

Advertisement