Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use dual sim phone in UK? What provider?

• 29-05-2019 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

I've a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, dual sim phone. On an eir 30 day sim only plan. Next month I'm going to the UK for 10 days. Is there a UK provider that I can use for just a month (10 days ideally) and use their sim for broadband access. Don't need calls or texts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

toby2111 wrote: »
    I've a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, dual sim phone. On an eir 30 day sim only plan. Next month I'm going to the UK for 10 days. Is there a UK provider that I can use for just a month (10 days ideally) and use their sim for broadband access. Don't need calls or texts.

You can use your eir data allowance in the uk.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    You can use your eir data allowance in the uk.

Will it work on my 30 day sim only plan? I was in USA a few weeks ago and data on phone didn't work.

Will it work on my 30 day sim only plan? I was in USA a few weeks ago and data on phone didn't work.

Should work in the EU.

Should work in the EU.

Cheers. I'll ring them tomorrow to enquire.... I better have plenty of time cos their customer service waiting time is horrendous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Cheers. I'll ring them tomorrow to enquire.... I better have plenty of time cos their customer service waiting time is horrendous!

There's no need to ring them, by law they have to give you roaming including data in EU.

• Advertisement

All plans and allowances are on the website.

https://www.eir.ie/roaming/#/europe_zone_1/united%20kingdom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

If there was any problem though, giffgaff is pretty cheap and they send sims to Ireland, so you can set it up before you travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The USA problem was more likely to an incompatibility between your phone, your service provider and the signal frequency used by your provider's partner network in the USA. I had the same with my main (French) SIM but had no trouble with my back-up (Irish) card in the same phone. You won't have that problem in the UK (or anywhere in the EU)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I've found the best UK SIM to be Three UK PAYG. I used to use it for data in the UK before the EU wide roaming came in to law. Now I don't bother and use my Irish SIM in the UK. The Three UK SIM still has working credit on it from years back. It doesn't expire and I send a text every 6 to 9 months when I'm in the UK to keep it active. Might need it again if Brexit changes anything....

My dual SIM phone - Vodafone IE and Three UK only worked with Three UK in the US. Seems the phone didn't have the frequency bands needed for the masts vodafone wanted to roam on.

Would like to have a good bit of extra data while I'm away for 10 days so I can use Google maps, browse net and keep the kids quiet! A crowd called Voxi are doing 45gb for £20 which seems best value but I've never heard of them.... Would they send sim to Ireland? Or could I use parcel wizard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Would like to have a good bit of extra data while I'm away for 10 days so I can use Google maps, browse net and keep the kids quiet! A crowd called Voxi are doing 45gb for £20 which seems best value but I've never heard of them.... Would they send sim to Ireland? Or could I use parcel wizard?

What plan do you have on your phone here?

You can use the same plan in the EU now for no extra cost.

Davy wrote: »
    What plan do you have on your phone here?

You can use the same plan in the EU now for no extra cost.

Think I have 15gb. Can I use all or only some of that? We're going to a holiday park, staying in a mobile home so I'm guessing we'll be using the phone quite a lot for entertainment in the evening. Just don't want to get hit with a massive bill from Eir by exceeding my allowance.

Think I have 15gb. Can I use all or only some of that? We're going to a holiday park, staying in a mobile home so I'm guessing we'll be using the phone quite a lot for entertainment in the evening. Just don't want to get hit with a massive bill from Eir by exceeding my allowance.

Just keep an eye on how much you are using. You can check your plan to see exactly how much is included:> https://www.eir.ie/roaming/#/europe_zone_1/united%20kingdom

10.9GB is the EU amount for the 15GB plan.

Just keep an eye on how much you are using. You can check your plan to see exactly how much is included:> https://www.eir.ie/roaming/#/europe_zone_1/united%20kingdom

10.9GB is the EU amount for the 15GB plan.
    10gb is not much. Might look into that Voxi crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

10gb is not much. Might look into that Voxi crowd

Seriously? It’s nearly 10 times the mobile data I’d use in a month

theteal wrote: »
    Seriously? It’s nearly 10 times the mobile data I’d use in a month

I don't use up much of my monthly allowance as I use WiFi at home and at work.... But holidays would be different so I'd imagine 10gb would go pretty quick, watching a few movies etc.... Maybe I'm wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I don't use up much of my monthly allowance as I use WiFi at home and at work.... But holidays would be different so I'd imagine 10gb would go pretty quick, watching a few movies etc.... Maybe I'm wrong?
    Get the 3Uk 12 GB data only, selling from mymemory.ie for about 30 euro and lasts for 12 months. Or you could opt for the 30 day sim, same amount of data but 22 euro.This will be sufficient for 10 day holiday.

I'd say it'd have been a right miserable holiday if you'd used 10GB of data in 10days! :pac:

For reference, I've used 11GB in the period 7th May - 6th June, which includes a using a tethered laptop for photo uploads, general surfing, weather checks, traffic checks & google maps, and streaming at least one movie every night while I was working away for about two weeks.

That's on a tablet; on my phone I've got 50MB of data (yeah, Mega) and never use all of it because I'll always find a wifi connection (even if it's the tablet acting as a hotspot).

Did you look at the link I posted previously where you'll find out how much you have?
    All plans and allowances are on the website.

https://www.eir.ie/roaming/#/europe_zone_1/united%20kingdom

Did you look at the link I posted previously where you'll find out how much you have?

I'm on that half price offer of €14.99 per month. Its not listed on your link so I'm presuming it's 10.9 mb out of the 15mb.

• Advertisement

I'm on that half price offer of €14.99 per month. Its not listed on your link so I'm presuming it's 10.9 mb out of the 15mb.

Switch to the newer plan 'Connect' which has 30GB at home in Ireland and then 30GB with roaming. You can switch with no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭R11

Switch to the newer plan 'Connect' which has 30GB at home in Ireland and then 30GB with roaming. You can switch with no penalty.
    Cheers for that! Is that a new 30 day plan they've just launched?Can I switch online or do I need to ring up?

R11 wrote: »
    Cheers for that! Is that a new 30 day plan they've just launched?Can I switch online or do I need to ring up?

You can switch on the webchat. Just say you want to switch to the newer plan 'connect 30' for €14.99 for 6 months. Once you are on the 30 day contract already, you wont have any penalty.

The connect 30 plan is out since about February

You can switch on the webchat. Just say you want to switch to the newer plan 'connect 30' for €14.99 for 6 months. Once you are on the 30 day contract already, you wont have any penalty.

The connect 30 plan is out since about February
    Is that connect 30 €9.99 for 6 months.....https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

R11 wrote: »
    Is that connect 30 €9.99 for 6 months.....https://www.eir.ie/mobile/simonly/

Yeah.

Its only €9.99 if you have Eir broadband also. Its €14.99 otherwise.

Word of warning, if you have the broadband, it will tie you in for 12 months if you opt for the mobile offer.

Yeah.

Its only €9.99 if you have Eir broadband also. Its €14.99 otherwise.

Word of warning, if you have the broadband, it will tie you in for 12 months if you opt for the mobile offer.
    Ah ok,thanks for that. no,I'm with Sky for broadband for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

You don't need to get another sim, you have plenty with your existing eir contract.

And if you watch 10gb of videos on your mobile on a ten day holiday, you need to go home.

LazerShark wrote: »
    You don't need to get another sim, you have plenty with your existing eir contract.

And if you watch 10gb of videos on your mobile on a ten day holiday, you need to go home.
    Yes,it seems I'll have plenty especially when I switch to that new plan.....
    We're going to Wales.....If it rains over there,like its done today,I'll need 200mb!!!!

You're on eir Mobile Connect - 30 Day which allows you use the full 30gb according to the link. No need to change plan.

• Advertisement

If you've got Netflix or equivalent, don't forget that you can download 10 rainy days' worth of movies before you leave and not use any data at all for that purpose while your away.

Back-up plan: buy two decks of cards and play canasta every night - because all the data in the world is of no use if there's no signal in your corner of the park! :D

Advertisement