Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mineral prospecting licence for the bluestacks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

That's crazy! Disert is on it too! Why on earth is an English company being granted anything to do with our minerals? Nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

That's crazy! Disert is on it too! Why on earth is an English company being granted anything to do with our minerals? Nope!

its ok leo has 'got the message' apparently

I would imagine any extraction is open cast where the rocks ground down to get the minerals out leaving most of it as spoil.

its ok leo has 'got the message' apparently

I would imagine any extraction is open cast where the rocks ground down to get the minerals out leaving most of it as spoil.

I'm not sure I follow on the Leo thing?

I'm not sure I follow on the Leo thing?

our leaders new found green credentials
    https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0525/1051594-elections/

our leaders new found green credentials

Oh dear. I think I'd put as much stock in that as I would on their speech about clamping down on fraudulent claims...

• Advertisement

quick update,

the shell company that was fronting the license has pulled out for the moment.

the save our sperrins group presented in the central donegal town last night as to whats happening there

as 500 boreholes drilled , some left uncapped roads built to get drilling equipement in, drilling fluid left to wash into watercourses.

thereis a 10000 page planning application for an ore processing plant in greencastl, co. tyrone in the sperrins so if you want to object nows the time

https://www.facebook.com/SaveOurSperrins/

there is a save the hills of donegal group - but possibly morphing into an umbrealla group for the bluestacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

No harm to keep and eye on it but there is a difference between prospecting and actual mining - and a very long road between with plenty of opportunity to object. I've seen trial holes bored around where we live, I think it's lithium they were looking for. That was a few years ago and the trial site in the corner of a field is barely visible now. But there's road access around here, if bore holes are to be made in off road locations, the machinery transport could cause significant damage.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    No harm to keep and eye on it but there is a difference between prospecting and actual mining - and a very long road between with plenty of opportunity to object. I've seen trial holes bored around where we live, I think it's lithium they were looking for. That was a few years ago and the trial site in the corner of a field is barely visible now. But there's road access around here, if bore holes are to be made in off road locations, the machinery transport could cause significant damage.

5 years from starting prospecting to applying for a processing plant which has a spoil heap in it of 800mx400mbx54m thats 1km long nearly 17 storeys high.

the company has left leaking uncapped boreholes spilled drilling fluid into watercourses maybe yours were more careful but these guys dont seem to be.

5 years from starting prospecting to applying for a processing plant which has a spoil heap in it of 800mx400mbx54m thats 1km long nearly 17 storeys high.

the company has left leaking uncapped boreholes spilled drilling fluid into watercourses maybe yours were more careful but these guys dont seem to be.

Where are you talking about? The Bluestacks or the Sperrins? If latter, that is a different jurisdiction...

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Where are you talking about? The Bluestacks or the Sperrins? If latter, that is a different jurisdiction...

the sperrins, prospecting license only issued recently fro the bluestacks,

it might be a different jurisdiction but it certainly isnt promoted as such no border on the joint irish and northern irish stand at PDAC (prospectors and developers conference )

but if allowed i cant see anything happening differently here

• Advertisement

the sperrins, prospecting license only issued recently fro the bluestacks,

it might be a different jurisdiction but it certainly isnt promoted as such no border on the joint irish and northern irish stand at PDAC (prospectors and developers conference )

but if allowed i cant see anything happening differently here

Different legislation would surely be applying though in NI? Anyways I know where you're coming from - if there's no prospecting allowed then there'll be no mining etc.

But there is a difference and a long way from one to the other. Think of gold at Croagh Patrick and then there were mining proposals in the Blackstairs back in the 1980s. Actual mining applications were fiercely opposed locally and both fell by the wayside. In fact apart from the gas field off Mayo, has there be any successful proposal to mine on any sort of scale in the Republic in recent decades? Excluding existing mines at Navan and Kingscourt etc

Actually a fair amount of prospecting goes largely unnoticed as it's done by aerial survey. Then has to be proven on the ground with test bore holes etc

Advertisement