Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Used home vs New home

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The point is it can be difficult to get people to do the work exactly as you want it. One of the main frustrations with Building.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We went to see a showhouse and there was already a crack in the walls.

Thats a settling crack. They are perfectly normal in a newly-built structure and do not indicate anything structurally wrong with the house.

beauf wrote: »
    if very difficult to find a builder/trademans who does things correctly and to a high standard, and follow plans, designs as given.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/news/government/unpublished-seai-report-showed-systemic-building-control-failure

As said wiring diagrams will will tell you where everything is. Frankly it’s nonsense to suggest they don’t do things correctly or follow plans etc, quite the opposite!

I’ve direct experience having worked for a construction company all university, that was even in the boom and everything done was to top standard and plans followed completely.

I’m at the planning stage of a self build myself and I will expect nothing but top class work done perfectly to plans from the people I employ to do the work. I’ll also be there ensuing things are done and if I’m not there myself a family member will be pretty much full time. It’s going to be a completely custom build and I have a lot of requirements I will want done exactly as I want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...Frankly it’s nonsense to suggest they don’t do things correctly or follow plans etc, quite the opposite!....

There's been a litany of building regulation failures, scandals and there's an almost non existent level of inspections by authorities.

Any surveys (and there haven't been many...why?) have found an abysmal adherence to building regulations.

My point was how well something is done by a builder or tradesman is mostly down to the quality and professionalism of the individual. Which is why you need to use someone who is recommended. If you want a good job done you need to be knowledgeable about the work so when watch it like a hawk you know what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

beauf wrote: »
    if very difficult to find a builder/trademans who does things correctly and to a high standard, and follow plans, designs as given.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/news/government/unpublished-seai-report-showed-systemic-building-control-failure

As said wiring diagrams will will tell you where everything is. Frankly it’s nonsense to suggest they don’t do things correctly or follow plans etc, quite the opposite!

I’ve direct experience having worked for a construction company all university, that was even in the boom and everything done was to top standard and plans followed completely.

I’m at the planning stage of a self build myself and I will expect nothing but top class work done perfectly to plans from the people I employ to do the work. I’ll also be there ensuing things are done and if I’m not there myself a family member will be pretty much full time. It’s going to be a completely custom build and I have a lot of requirements I will want done exactly as I want.
    I am a qualified electrical and electronics draughtsman and I can tell you a schematic and a wiring diagram are totally different. To expect a wiring diagram for a domestic build is very strange. You don't need to work out conduit size etc and leave it to the electrician to decide what way to wire. It would be both expensive and time consuming to do it like you suggest for practically no gain. Plumbing would be the same. Different in apartment builds.
    Did you hire multiple professionals on your drawings because a na architect can't design plumbing or electrical layouts. A standard plumber can't so the drawings so who did you pay to do the drawings. Are your family members all experts in all trades to tell them what to do?

What you are suggesting is really unreasonable and pretty pointless from what I can see

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There's not that much going on with domestic wiring anyway... unless you've the place lit up like a xmas tree, with switching like a piano keyboard. Label your fuse board and off you go.

On new vs old. Depends on your values.

You might prefer to re-use existing settlements for ecological/efficiency reasons. Why not reuse a perfectly good house.

I like a house that's got some character, a story, maybe some history. New builds are sometimes beautiful pieces of architecture with value in their own right, and you get the character there. However, they can also be identical to the ones next door, or worse, some McMansion infesting the countryside like a scab.

I love city living, with lots of amenities nearby, access to transport etc. Hard to get that in a new build.

Advertisement