Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead Tooth Whitening

• 30-05-2019 1:16am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When I was young I got a bang on my front tooth and it killed it.

About 10 years ago I was getting some work done on it, which I can't fully remember now. I might have had a root canal treatment.

The Dentist brushed some liquid on it which whitened it straight away and told me in the future it would wear off and would need to be re applied.

Does anyone know what this is called?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Tipp ex, it's available in most stationery shops.

Serious answer though, the best way to change colour of a non vital tooth is to bleach it from the inside. Ask your dentist about it, it's a very straight forward procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

CatFromHue wrote: »
    When I was young I got a bang on my front tooth and it killed it.

About 10 years ago I was getting some work done on it, which I can't fully remember now. I might have had a root canal treatment.

The Dentist brushed some liquid on it which whitened it straight away and told me in the future it would wear off and would need to be re applied.

Does anyone know what this is called?

Looking into the exact same thing. Pearly white teeth and one smoker liked stain tooth sticks out. I wonder is a Veneer is another option too if the dentist here could confirm that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tipp ex, it's available in most stationery shops.

Serious answer though, the best way to change colour of a non vital tooth is to bleach it from the inside. Ask your dentist about it, it's a very straight forward procedure.

That's the thing, it was like tipp ex she put on, small bottle and small little brush. She gave me the name of it but I've long forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Looking into the exact same thing. Pearly white teeth and one smoker liked stain tooth sticks out. I wonder is a Veneer is another option too if the dentist here could confirm that.

does it just stick out from smoking stains, or is the tooth dead and dark?
    if it's just the latter, and you have a root canal filling done on it, then bleach it from the inside. veneers are an option, but internal bleaching shouldn't do any more damage to the tooth. you just need to have the existing filling removed temporarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

does it just stick out from smoking stains, or is the tooth dead and dark?
    if it's just the latter, and you have a root canal filling done on it, then bleach it from the inside. veneers are an option, but internal bleaching shouldn't do any more damage to the tooth. you just need to have the existing filling removed temporarily.

It went dark not long after the root canal. Looks like tobacco staining (I don’t smoke)

• Advertisement
Advertisement