Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICC World Cup 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,000 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

blackcard wrote: »
    Morgan one game away from putting his name down in history. Has changed the mindset of English cricket. Best cricketer that Ireland has ever produced and, if he wins the final, will probably go down as England's greatest captain

One day captain for sure, what I like about him both on the pitch and in front of the cameras he is consistent, no fuss, focused on the task at hand, encouraging, positive and driven 100% to win.

Part of me wonders would he ever get or be interested again in playing test cricket,

Aegir wrote: »
    That is an absolute load of shiny, hairy bollocks.

e.g Geoffrey boycott - racist whiff off the commentary from him on Morgan.

as well as the social media reaction when he was appointed.

they stuck with him after the 2015 debacle and now they are set to reap the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Now, to find a pub showing it with people who are actually watching it...

You will struggle if based in Ireland, 4 games of GAA on in the afternoon across two stations.

Now, to find a pub showing it with people who are actually watching it...

go out to a cricket club bar e.g. Clontarf etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

glasso wrote: »
    Kevin Peterson and Geoffrey boycott for two

Boycott! That tool doesn’t like anyone born outside of Yorkshire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Strumms wrote: »
    Morgan one game away from putting his name down in history. Has changed the mindset of English cricket. Best cricketer that Ireland has ever produced and, if he wins the final, will probably go down as England's greatest captain

One day captain for sure, what I like about him both on the pitch and in front of the cameras he is consistent, no fuss, focused on the task at hand, encouraging, positive and driven 100% to win.

Part of me wonders would he ever get or be interested again in playing test cricket,
    I think he has stated that the Test Cricket ship has sailed. His struggles with the short ball would be exacerbated. Besides, at 32, he would not be seen as the future of the English test team

lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

glasso wrote: »
    Kevin Peterson and Geoffrey boycott for two

That would be Kevin Pietersen that was born in South Africa?

That would be Kevin Pietersen that was born in South Africa?

everyone knows he's Sth African.

I suppose in his case he was just pissed off that Morgan didn't pick him.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that whatever Boycott and KP think, the opposite is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I think it’s pretty safe to assume that whatever Boycott and KP think, the opposite is true.

Boycott and KP are like two peas in a pod, great batsmen, huge egos and selfish to the core.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

You will struggle if based in Ireland, 4 games of GAA on in the afternoon across two stations.

I struggled to get the ENG/BGL game on in Harry Byrnes in Clontarf on a dead Saturday. Because U19’s rugby was on. Don’t fancy my chances whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Final to be shown live on Channel 4 and More 4 (when British Grand Prix is on Channel 4).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Unbelievable. They were on pace to chase down 400.

Maybe, but if they actually had to chase down 400 it would have been a different ballgame :)
    Final to be shown live on Channel 4 and More 4 (when British Grand Prix is on Channel 4).

Great, might get a hour or two before I'm kicked off for the tennis!

As to outcome as a neutral, I'd like to see the Kiwis do it now. They got off to a great start in the qualifiers but then struggled towards the end. No games handed to them and are now there on their merits, flaws and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The final will also be on Sky One

Interesting game ahead. You have a team that has been clearly the best team since the last world cup against a team that were bang awful in the second half of the group stage, wouldn't have made it if Carlos Brathwaite had a friendly gust of wind in his favour or the first India match wasn't rained out and basically had one half hour of excellence in the semi.

All logic says England win but New Zealand have just seemed to have all luck (and some goodness) go in their favour.

Would you rather be good or lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

It would be just typical of this WC after hammering Australia they somehow go onto to lose NZ.

Don't see it personally myself, England can have one or two of their players having an off day and still win as they've got so many match winners. New Zealand need everyone to be at their absolute very best to pull this off, if only one of their best players fail, they have no chance, Guptil, Williamson, Taylor all of them need big runs.

Its important they put England under pressure in some way, there's an enormous amount of expectation for England to seal the deal now. Australia was a bit of coin toss, but they've got past that convincingly so and they're huge favourites to finally end this burden of never winning a WC.

If they could get England 30-3 or 50-4, it would interesting to see England react with the gigantic favourites tag and expectation that's on them in a final.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On a Sunday afternoon, Ireland played Bangladesh in front of three men and a dog in Barbados.
    Should have switched it to Stormont

:pac:

The final will also be on Sky One

Interesting game ahead. You have a team that has been clearly the best team since the last world cup against a team that were bang awful in the second half of the group stage, wouldn't have made it if Carlos Brathwaite had a friendly gust of wind in his favour or the first India match wasn't rained out and basically had one half hour of excellence in the semi.

All logic says England win but New Zealand have just seemed to have all luck (and some goodness) go in their favour.

Would you rather be good or lucky?

Maybe others view NZ as lucky, but I sure don't. I would actually say they're unlucky.

Were they lucky to beat the West Indies, or were they unlucky that Brathwaite decided to choose that day to play possibly the best innings of his career?

NZ are there on merit, and are capable of beating England. They will be big underdogs, but I think that's how they like it. England still have a soft underbelly that can be exposed, and NZ have played well below what they're capable of.

NZ only needs one World Cup this year. If we win the cricket, then I don't mind letting Ireland have the rugby :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Basil3 wrote: »
    NZ only needs one World Cup this year. If we win the cricket, then I don't mind letting Ireland have the rugby :D

Deal!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I take England to win. Home advantage is important not only crowd support but a ground their players know well. Huge pressure on them no doubt but the manner of their hammering of Australia was very impressive and if they reach anywhere near that level they should win. If they are off their game and NZ play as they did against India then England will be in trouble but I think this is their time after huge disaappointments in last 5 World Cups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I take England to win. Home advantage is important not only crowd support but a ground their players know well.

I dunno, things can go pear shaped very quickly in the one day game. Truth is, any of the eliminated teams could beat one or other of the finalists on a given day. Even an Irish team if everything went for us could turn them over. Bit of a lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If England win the world cup then surely there would be no other country ever to win the soccer/rugby/cricket world cups all be it decades apart?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

If England win the world cup then surely there would be no other country ever to win the soccer/rugby/cricket world cups all be it decades apart?

Correct.

Rather have won the RLWC (only won as GB) than the kick and clap/penalty shootout yawnion world cup though.

Correct.

Rather have won the RLWC (only won as GB) than the kick and clap/penalty shootout yawnion world cup though.

Anyone able to translate this?

Anyone able to translate this?

I think he's pointing they also won the Rugby League World Cup 3 times but playing as Great Britain not as Eng, Sco and Wales as they do today, so technically you could say first nation(ish) to win 4 WC's RU, RL, Cricket and Soccer. I also guess he's a League fan and doesn't like Union for whatever reason. Personally I think Union is a far superior game, the only place you can see league played at the highest level is in State of Origin in Australia. Super League is a piss poor product compared to Australia's NRL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Also Olympic gold in men's and women's hockey and world champion hurlers 1901. Gaelic Football has eluded them.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The netball World Cup is now on in Liverpool, and England have already qualified from the Group Stage....

I suspect the chances of any team from the Americas ever winning the Cricket World Cup is relatively low. Equally there is probably only one European team likely to ever do so (although maybe eventually there will be an EU Cricket team:pac:)

Of course that leaves the likes of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa having decent chances of winning 2 of the 3, but I( suspect I won't be around when/if any of them win the Football WC

Alas no ticket for me tomorrow. Apparently someone was trying to sell one via a resale website for £16,000. The ICC have cancelled that ticket though, so if anyone did pick it up:eek:

I'll just be making do with being at Silverstone listening to BBC Radio 5Live tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

Beasty wrote: »
    Alas no ticket for me tomorrow. Apparently someone was trying to sell one via a resale website for £16,000. The ICC have cancelled that ticket though, so if anyone did pick it up:eek:

Well done to the ICC for canceling that ticket.

NZ to bat first. Now to set a defendable total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

NZ win toss n bat first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Eoin belting out "god save the queen" is hard to watch.

That looked fairly plumb, hearts must have been in the mouths of the New Zealand batsmen, saved by an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good over that for NZ

• Advertisement

English bowling doesn't look as threatening as I'd feared. That said, I expect a wicket to fall on any given delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Good solid start here for NZ after that over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

First time watching live video review in cricket and it works really well. Can't really compare with football though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

First time watching live video review in cricket and it works really well. Can't really compare with football though
    Impossible to compare them. Cricket has a natural pause between deliveries. Easy for the review system to work well in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

NZ deciding to review the guptil wicket was mental. Looked completely plumb

• Advertisement

Good start by the Kiwis, like to see them take this game. Not so much luck for Eng bowlers. Has Morgan over bowled Woakes I wonder?

Looks like England will have to chase at least a reasonably sizeable total here, under huge pressure.

Can't complain with the way things are ticking over.

Urgh, spoke too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Huge wicket with the way the game was drifting for england

Good innings by Nicholls so far. Hasn’t given many chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

NZ are on a nice curve here, will be delighted to see them finish out the day on top.

England seem be managing to get key wickets at important times. NZ seriously need a decent partnership.

England seem be managing to get key wickets at important times. NZ seriously need a decent partnership.

Aye a slow start and leaking wickets consistently wont take them to a good total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

run rate very slow, boundaries hard to come by. England will be happy enough so far.

Happy4all wrote: »
    run rate very slow, boundaries hard to come by. England will be happy enough so far.

Yep, New Zealand have a good number of wickets in hand for 33 overs in, but England to a man are bowling and fielding exceptionally. I’d say 280 might be a score that from here on in might be a relief to New Zealand. New Zealand have had grave difficulty finding the boundaries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement