Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICC World Cup 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Buttler gone now and that as they say could be that. 124/5 (27.2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Running out of wickets, and Englands tail rarely wags.Curtains i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

England need to win their last two games, away to India in Birmingham :pac: and home against New Zealand in Durham, to ensure they go through to the semi-final.A massive ask,and I can't see it happening.

They might get there with one victory, but they would need a few favours from elsewhere - starting with a New Zealand win over Pakistan tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

England believed their own hype. 2nd very poor performance with the bat. They aren't going to qualify imo.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Their belief in Vince is staggering. He has failed time and again at international level but they keep going back to him. Roy has been a huge loss but some of the other batsmen are so bad when the pressure is on. They weren't chasing big totals in the last two games yet no one (bar Stokes) seemed to be able to knuckle down for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Tournament cricket is so much different to those lengthy ODI series. Maybe England should have had more tri/quad series tournaments instead of just having those best of 5s or 7s.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There must be a question over Stokes' availability for the match against India.

We'll have a better idea over the next few days, but England could still do it with 2 rainoffs:pac:

I do think getting Roy back in is going to be critical. Plunkett can replace Stokes and improve the bowling. It only needs a couple of very talented front-line batsmen to perform on the day, but that could equally be said for either side. This team does look better when setting a target rather than chasing one down, and the batsmen then seem to play with more freedom. Having said all that, England do seem to be suffering possibly from lack of familiarity with English conditions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

I wonder when and if the UK media will turn on Morgan. If they don't qualify I suspect that overnight he'll become a pariah.

Personally, I'd be rather pleased if they don't qualify, only because I don't approve of them poaching Joffra from the Windies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I wonder when and if the UK media will turn on Morgan. If they don't qualify I suspect that overnight he'll become a pariah.

Personally, I'd be rather pleased if they don't qualify, only because I don't approve of them poaching Joffra from the Windies.

Wondered that too, mind you the cricket is not quite the soccer in terms of the media? They shouldn’t be pulling in players, given their position and choice.

They may hope that Ind and NZ can take their foot off the pedal. Could lose both quite easily though. Maybe the weather will intervene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

May I ask what I'm missing? New Zealand seem to me to be in a better position than England to qualify for semi's yet NZ are a bigger price to win outright??

England will be very nervous about this Pakistan start. They have NZ in bother 38/3 (9)

Great start for Pakistan. If they manage to win today, it'll sure focus the NZ minds for remaining matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This could be a cracker. A low scorer and 2 momentum teams. If Trent Boult gets a wicket or 2 early, Pakistan may collapse. NZ need at least 200.

Oh another wicket 46/4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    May I ask what I'm missing? New Zealand seem to me to be in a better position than England to qualify for semi's yet NZ are a bigger price to win outright??

New Zealand just don't win tournaments

KW gone now - 83/5/26 - game on!

• Advertisement

jobeenfitz wrote: »

NZ's schedule was advantageous in that they started the tournament playing the weaker sides. Plus they won the toss in each game!

Then their game against India was rained off, giving them a point they might not have got had the game gone ahead.

Also, they were fortunate to scrape home against the WIndies.

That said, they're a decent enough side.

Good finish brewing up at Edgbaston.

Pak are 115/3/27, needing 123 from 138 balls.

Pakistan take it to the last over before winning by 6 wickets.

Good result for Pakistan, even if they made look a bit harder than needed. Makes competition for SFs a lot more interesting. NZ won’t be holding back in final round games, Eng are going to have to win their games, no gimmes. Pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Debub

India vs Windies, India won the toss and elected to bat

• Advertisement

Looks like another relatively low scoring game today, 2-300 max. Eng put up near 400 against Afg but apart from that, these sort of 'lower' scores seem par for the tournament at the moment. Which is good, as shows some balance between bat & bowling.

Also noticeable that early in tournament, seemed to me anyway that a lot of wickets were coming from short fast bowling, then we had a spell where the spinners did well, now it's moved more towards pitching it up and letting seam or swing do the job. Been plenty of mad balls that look quite unplayable, just luck if the batsman survived at all in many cases.

India looks to be in a bit of bother - 166 for 4 in 35 overs

India finishing on 268 for 7. Pitch playing a bit slow and ball not bouncing as much as expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I don't think England are going to get through. I hope I am wrong (I'm Irish but I don't mind supporting England when Ireland are not there or against the Aussies!). Would they be better off having their last 2 games rained off (not that they can pick)?

Interesting article about the great C H Gale here - I hadn't realised just how humble his home life was.

The comments below the article are pretty good too!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/48755729

I hope that he scores big today!

UPDATE: :( he didn't.

Windies 50 for 2 in 15

Is1ldur wrote: »
    I don't think England are going to get through. I hope I am wrong (I'm Irish but I don't mind supporting England when Ireland are not there or against the Aussies!). Would they be better off having their last 2 games rained off (not that they can pick)?

Yeah, they might do with better with a couple of no results. I think the Windies are basically out of it, so it's really a case if SL, BD or Pak can pull off wins in their final games, whilst Eng I think will have to win at least one?

Advantage Ind at the moment but don't think they're safe after a win today, so when they play Eng on Sunday, going to be looking for a win.

I think if Eng can qualify through playing the games, well they're gonna deserve it! Who'd want to be in Eoin Morgan's shoes at the moment though?

England has only one game left tho, against India. They are playing at home and also won against India same time last year playing in England - so that might give them the boost

Debub wrote: »
    England has only one game left tho, against India. They are playing at home and also won against India same time last year playing in England - so that might give them the boost

They have to play NZ as well. I think England will go through with a result against either.

Debub wrote: »

You're forgetting Eng v NZ I think, next Weds :)

• Advertisement

Yup - sorry, missed that one (NZ vs ENG on 3rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭VillaMad

It will probably be a 'home' game for India actually as with it being in Birmingham they will have a load of locals cheering them on.

WIndies are going down without even a whimper today.

112/8/28 needing 157 more to win.

Sri Lanka have their chance today, started brightly but at 100/4 look like they may blow it.

Edited: have blown it, threw away several wickets and now SA cantering home.

I guess Eng will be happy anyway, let those snapping away below divide the points between themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Eng could do with a handy favour from Afg here.

Not going to happen for England anyway, Afghanistan 71/3 (14) and have got away with a few shots as well

Not looking likely for the Afghans but who knows they could get 200+ and scoring has been lowish in most recent matches.

Aus v NZ should be an intriguing game. Aussies guaranteed a SF spot but won't want to cede ground to their 'neighbours'. NZ want to win to take pressure off Eng game.

Khawaja dropped on 0 now. NZ could regret it but they’ve started very well

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Khawaja dropped on 0 now. NZ could regret it but they’ve started very well

NZ going about Aussies like a hot knife through butter at the moment.

Pak look to be on course to overtake Eng in the points table.

• Advertisement

Fortunes reversed - Aussies stage a good batting come back and Pakistan crumbling but still could do it. Hear there was trouble in the latter ground as well between rival fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

New Zealand finishing the innings strongly and some after Australia doing great to reestablish the innings and looking to post a defendable score which seemed unlikely at one point. NZ favorites now but an interesting innings ahead.

Run-out and Pakistan are 156/6. Two cracking games today and still both have a long way to go.

Spoke too soon, Afghanistan on top. Still doable but can Afghanistan see it out this time.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pakistan required RR over 9 for last 5 overs...

and 18 runs in that over brings it down to 28 off 4 - a mere 7 runs per over.

• Advertisement

...and a run-out - 22 off 20 with 3 wickets remaining

Pakistan win. The are having exactly the same run that they had in the 1992 World Cup which is freakish.

Looking good for them now as England are almost imploding and now look like they will have to beat both India and New Zealand.

Pakistan were struggling against the spinners until the Afghan captain brought himself on and bowled as bad an over as you will see in this World Cup and it was easy street after that.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Pakistan were struggling against the spinners until the Afghan captain brought himself on and bowled as bad an over as you will see in this World Cup and it was easy street after that.

What was he doing? Afg had them under the kosh with spin overs to spare and he gives them a break! I'd think his captaincy term might be over as quick as it began.

Still throws it all open and makes tomorrows match a bit of a need win for the English. As said before, who'd be in Morgan's shoes now. Could be hero to zero very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looking tough now for New Zeland 125-6. They would and should have been confident after restricting Australia to a very modest total by international standards but carelessness, excellent bowling and superb fielding have Australia firm favourites right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

It was a thrilling match. I really appreciate the way the Afghan team fought but also agreed with the following words by Ricky Ponting:

“Pakistan beats whoever they want to beat, and they lose from whoever they want to. It’s not Pakistan vs the opposition. It’s Pakistan vs Pakistan.”

Now, we would have to see who will be there in semi-finals from England and Pakistan. Again, it is tough to qualify for team Pakistan. One defeat of England would still require even they win the next match.

• Advertisement
Advertisement