Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing in Work

Options
  • 30-05-2019 8:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,
    Does anyone know if employers have to provide seating in work? I work an 8 hour shift with a one hour break and have to stand. Myself and others have asked for seats but have been told no. The pain in everyone’s feet and back at the end of the day is horrendous!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

scof22 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if employers have to provide seating in work? I work an 8 hour shift with a one hour break and have to stand. Myself and others have asked for seats but have been told no. The pain in everyone’s feet and back at the end of the day is horrendous!

What is your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scof22

Dav010 wrote: »
    What is your job?

A receptionist

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is there some reason why you'd be required to stand?

Is there some reason why you'd be required to stand?

Hotel reception op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Seems unusual to not have a chair to be honest even if a reception or production line (depending on the role I suppose)

I s it production line work?

There must be some reason?

Health and safety?

Or Standing is required to do job X because of ......

To be honest, I'd expect a valid reason otherwise it's seems unusual but we need to know the occupation to be able to provide better feedback and discuss

Surely some reason besides cost on behalf of the employer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

I stand 8 - 12 hours, not in one spot though. Think employers are only be obligated to supply mats to stand on, which do work a little, if you don't trip over them!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

They can make changes to your work environment where reasonable (rubber mats etc). Is this a new rule enforced that you had to stand? Were there seats available before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wouldn't stand for it

*is it hotel receptionist? can't see the problem of sitting down now again esp if using a PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

While there is no absolute requirement to provide seating (but see law below), where there is a hazard, the employer has a duty to complete a suitable and sufficient risk assessment, and where reasonably practicable, provide a safe place and system of work.

The Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 states:

"(c) where any employees have in the course of their employment
    reasonable opportunities for sitting without detriment to their work
    or, where a substantial proportion of any work done by employees
    can properly be done sitting,
    (i) suitable facilities for sitting are provided and maintained for their use, or
    (ii) if this is not practical, they are otherwise ergonomically supported,
    Working in a standing position for a long period can cause sore feet, swelling of the legs, varicose
    veins, muscular fatigue, lower back pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulders.

Seating is required where most of the job can be carried out while seated or where there may be
    opportunities for workers for sitting down between tasks without detriment to their work. If seating is
    not practical, some other form of support is required so that workers are protected from the health
    effects of prolonged standing. Other means of ergonomic support include foot-rails/rests and elbow
    supports for precision work. Examples of where this may be practical and should be given
    consideration by employers are in retail outlets at sales points or cash registers, or where employees
    are demonstrating products within a retail outlet. Other examples include service industries, such as
    bar work, at periods when there are no customers awaiting service.
    Any seating provided should be a suitable chair with a back and not a bench."

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Retail/Gen_Apps_Workplace.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I hate these sorts of posts.

As reasonable people, we should be reasonable.

Is it better a hotel receptionist is standing as customers arrive?

For sure.

During quiet times, could there be a chair she can rest on?

I would think so.

So talk to your managers. Buying a tall chair is a cheap solution to a real problem.

Make your case. Less turnover, happier staff, if we have a chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I hate these sorts of posts.

As reasonable people, we should be reasonable.

Is it better a hotel receptionist is standing as customers arrive?

For sure.
    Why would this be better?

Why would this be better?

Have you ever stayed in a hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The people who man those Sky booths in shopping centres rarely have seats either.

Once or twice, yes - but seeing as I'm not the President or Lord Mayor, I really don't care whether they are standing or sitting. I just care about getting checked in quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I definitely wouldn't take this sitting (lying) down.

I'm sorry, ive had a hard day in work and need some humour:D

Once or twice, yes - but seeing as I'm not the President or Lord Mayor, I really don't care whether they are standing or sitting. I just care about getting checked in quickly.

I know what you're saying.

And I'm not trying to be difficult.

Although I am wasted right now after a conference so please be patient.

But when you stay in hotels a lot (I do) you become sort of annoyed when they are disinterested. My company is paying 200 or whatever per night, so when I arrive, be attentive, say hello, say thanks.

I think when hotels have chairs it makes them more chilled.

I know this makes no sense and I'm ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I have worked as a hotel receptionist before and its Failte Ireland / 4 * standard that you dont sit down

We had sound managers though who let us have seats as long as we stood up when guests arrived / approached the desk
    but when it was inspection day the seats were firmly put away and hiden:D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

On operation transformation this year they actually recommended standing in the workplace rather than sitting. They were really in favour of standing desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I've stayed in a fair few hotels, I don't think I have ever paid much heed as to whether anyone was standing or sitting, tbh.

wally1990 wrote: »
    Seems unusual to not have a chair to be honest even if a reception or production line (depending on the role I suppose)

I s it production line work?

There must be some reason?

Health and safety?

Or Standing is required to do job X because of ......

To be honest, I'd expect a valid reason otherwise it's seems unusual but we need to know the occupation to be able to provide better feedback and discuss

Surely some reason besides cost on behalf of the employer ?

We used to have a chair but it was taken away as “it didn’t look polite” to be sitting when customers arrived.

It is a hotel reception.

We have asked the manager if we could have one just for the night shift but even that was turned down

It is a busy reception but there are certain times of the day that would be quiet and no customers would be arriving so I don’t see the problem with a chair during these times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I work in retail in the airport and stand on my feet for 9 hours a day. The only time I sit down is on my break and I don’t complain!

I’m sorry but I’ve no sympathy for you, either bring in a chair or get another job. Simple.

But when you stay in hotels a lot (I do) you become sort of annoyed when they are disinterested. My company is paying 200 or whatever per night, so when I arrive, be attentive, say hello, say thanks.

I think when hotels have chairs it makes them more chilled.
    Yeah, attentive and pleasant is important. I can't say I've noticed a difference between standing or sitting staff, but maybe there could be an issue.

dragonfly! wrote: »
    I have worked as a hotel receptionist before and its Failte Ireland / 4 * standard that you dont sit down

We had sound managers though who let us have seats as long as we stood up when guests arrived / approached the desk
    but when it was inspection day the seats were firmly put away and hiden:D
    You'd have to wonder where these things come from. Is there any actual evidence that 'standing' staff are better staff, or is it one of those traditions - "I had to stand when I was a trainee, so you have to stand now".

The big high desks aren't a great idea either - they don't work for wheelchair users or families with kids or little people.

I work in retail in the airport and stand on my feet for 9 hours a day. The only time I sit down is on my break and I don’t complain!

I’m sorry but I’ve no sympathy for you, either bring in a chair or get another job. Simple.

I didn’t ask for sympathy.

Surely if your working in retail, you would have to be restocking shelves etc, not stood in the one spot?

Yeah, attentive and pleasant is important. I can't say I've noticed a difference between standing or sitting staff, but maybe there could be an issue.

You'd have to wonder where these things come from. Is there any actual evidence that 'standing' staff are better staff, or is it one of those traditions - "I had to stand when I was a trainee, so you have to stand now".

The big high desks aren't a great idea either - they don't work for wheelchair users or families with kids or little people.

It’s crazy! Even customers do ask why we have no seats, one customer complained to management about this and still nothing has been done 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Are you a member of a union. If not, join one quickly

rock22 wrote: »
    Are you a member of a union. If not, join one quickly

If standing is the industry norm, what will a union do, quickly?

I can’t think of a hotel I’ve visited where there wasn’t a check in counter that you stand at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's to create the perception that all the staff are ready and willing to leap into action at any moment to fulfill the wishes of the hotel's extremely wonderful customers.

aka letting arseholes play at being little kings/queens for the duration of their stay. Most people judge the quality of their experience on the facilities etc. but some also require that the staff bow down before them and grovel. Those people tend to complain when they don't get the servility them think they've paid for. Management tend to care more about keeping said arseholes happy than they do about their staff.

Of course there should be a chair, even if it can only be used when customers aren't in the lobby.

B0jangles wrote: »
    It's to create the perception that all the staff are ready and willing to leap into action at any moment to fulfill the wishes of the hotel's extremely wonderful customers.

aka letting arseholes play at being little kings/queens for the duration of their stay. Most people judge the quality of their experience on the facilities etc. but some also require that the staff bow down before them and grovel. Those people tend to complain when they don't get the servility them think they've paid for. Management tend to care more about keeping said arseholes happy than they do about their staff.

Of course there should be a chair, even if it can only be used when customers aren't in the lobby.

Absolute rubbish. I travel a lot so I use tripadvisor a lot. The complaint most often made about Hotels is about customer service. If you are paying for a Hotel, you have a right to expect to be treated like a king/queen for the duration of your stay. No matter how nice the rooms are, poor customer service puts me off.

The industry norm is to have high counters so that the guest doesn’t have to stoop to sign, can que and it’s faster in busy hotels. Whether they have chairs for quiet times is up to the hotel, the debate about if they should or shouldn’t is secondary to the fact they don’t and that is the way the op and colleagues have worked and will continue to do so judging by what she posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dav010 wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish. I travel a lot so I use tripadvisor a lot. The complaint most often made about Hotels is about customer service. If you are paying for a Hotel, you have a right to expect to be treated like a king/queen for the duration of your stay. No matter how nice the rooms are, poor customer service puts me off.

The industry norm is to have high counters so that the guest doesn’t have to stoop to sign, can que and it’s faster in busy hotels. Whether they have chairs for quiet times is up to the hotel, the debate about if they should or shouldn’t is secondary to the fact they don’t and that is the way the op and colleagues have worked and will continue to do so judging by what she posted.

Would your enjoyment of your stay be lessened by the knowledge that reception staff can sit down when you aren't looking? If so, why?

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    Would your enjoyment of your stay be lessened by the knowledge that reception staff can sit down when you aren't looking? If so, why?

That wasn’t what you implied in your post. You implied that customers are wrong to expect to be treated well and that the facilities are what matters.

Personally, I don’t care whether staff sit or stand as long as they don’t delay, Ive been checked in by both. But as I said, that is secondary to the fact that the ops workplace has a standing policy which is the industry norm.

Advertisement