Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing in Work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Most people working in retail would be on their feet all day (did it myself for years) but on the one spot would only be confined to a few minutes at a time. Stood on the spot for a longer period can be very uncomfortable - I was at an even that ran to about 4 hours recently and I was not far off hopping from one leg to the other towards the end of it.

Wasn't there a big faff about checkout workers back in the day? Not sure if it was legally established or anything but something along the lines of if you can do your work without moving they had to provide a chair. . .????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Dav010 wrote: »
    That wasn’t what you implied in your post. You implied that customers are wrong to expect to be treated well and that the facilities are what matters.

Personally, I don’t care whether staff sit or stand, Ive been checked in by both. But as I said, that is secondary to the fact that the ops workplace has a standing policy which is the industry norm.

Expecting staff to stand at the reception desk all the time without any opportunity to sit is just one part of the whole 'treat the customer as royalty' concept. It is quite possible to give customers excellent treatment AND let the staff sit down sometimes. But that's not enough for some people. Those people equate good customer service with staff being serfs who exist only to do their bidding.

Those people should not be indulged. If management want staff to stand all the time, then they should lead by example.

No chairs in the manager's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yea I'd start with a union, before everyone ends up with long term health issues, by then employers, past and present won't give a ****. Apparently sky kiosk workers aren't allowed seats either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There are various styles of standing chairs available which are suitable for use when working at a standing desk if an employee is likely to have to stand in one place for an extended period.

If reception staff are on the constant move they may not need ergonomic support but if they a have to largely stand static at a counter for most of a shift it may result in occupational injury.

Standing in the one position for an extended period of time us the sort of stress position used in interrogation. I doubt any prolonged, unaided standing in one place for an extended period would pass a workplace ergonomic or health and safety inspection.

As a customer I'd much prefer to deal with a receptionist who is relaxed rather than someone who has to constantly shift from foot to foot to relieve a back or leg pain, and smile through it, towards the end of a long shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

So, a problem with standing in work will be solved by joining a union.........be careful where you take your advice from OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The industry norm is to have high counters so that the guest doesn’t have to stoop to sign, can que and it’s faster in busy hotels.

Why would the industry norm be for a design that excludes a bunch of customers, particularly wheelchair users and little people?

And what do people need to be signing these days, when all payments are electronic or cash?

I can't see how high desks help queueing or make things faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

If standing is the industry norm, what will a union do, quickly?

Perhaps get some chairs

The OP has already indicated that the practice of standing all day in affecting their health. A union would pursue any conditions which could have a negative affect on their members health.
    My experience is that many hotels supply seating for reception and check-in staff - perhaps we stay at different hotels!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭Sajid Javid

If you sit on it you cant swing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

So, a problem with standing in work will be solved by joining a union.........be careful where you take your advice from OP.

Trade unions were created to organise and support workers in achieving fair pay and condition of work. Why would you consider that they would not be appropriate in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I work in retail in the airport and stand on my feet for 9 hours a day. The only time I sit down is on my break and I don’t complain!

I’m sorry but I’ve no sympathy for you, either bring in a chair or get another job. Simple.

There's a big difference between retail, where you are moving constantly therefore not stuck in the same position for long periods of time, and what OP has to do, which is basically stand stationary on the spot for 10 hours.

What OP has to do sounds very uncomfortable and unrelenting.
    I used to work in hospitality for a number of years so would be used to being on my feet for long periods of time. I now work in a desk job, I had a task the other day that involved standing at the photocopier for just under 2 hours & my back was in bits after it!
    So I can only imagine how painful a working day is for OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I couldn't stand an hour at a job. I often wonder how some women stand in high heels. Arthritis will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

bobbyss wrote: »
    I couldn't stand an hour at a job. I often wonder how some women stand in high heels. Arthritis will follow.

My wife has to stand in her job for long hours (manager in a hotel) and even though she's allowed wear black sports shoes, her legs are still dead all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Why would the industry norm be for a design that excludes a bunch of customers, particularly wheelchair users and little people?

And what do people need to be signing these days, when all payments are electronic or cash?

I can't see how high desks help queueing or make things faster?

True. Everyone knows that 80-85% of hotel guests are in a wheelchair or are little people. 19% are actually both.

Absolute rubbish. I travel a lot so I use tripadvisor a lot. The complaint most often made about Hotels is about customer service. If you are paying for a Hotel, you have a right to expect to be treated like a king/queen for the duration of your stay. No matter how nice the rooms are, poor customer service puts me off.

The industry norm is to have high counters so that the guest doesn’t have to stoop to sign, can que and it’s faster in busy hotels. Whether they have chairs for quiet times is up to the hotel, the debate about if they should or shouldn’t is secondary to the fact they don’t and that is the way the op and colleagues have worked and will continue to do so judging by what she posted.

It doesn't even need to be king/queen.

I'll settle for someone standing there looking at me, smiling, saying hello, and saying thanks.

Unfortunately this is not common.

I just checked out of a hotel a few hours ago and I said thanks, bye and she said nothing.

Her job is front desk agent. If she doesn't like people or doesn't understand what politeness is, she should change job.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    True. Everyone knows that 80-85% of hotel guests are in a wheelchair or are little people. 19% are actually both.
    About one in six people in Ireland have some form of disability, or about a billion people worldwide. How many businesses can afford to turn off one in six of their potential customers?

Here's what smart hotel groups are doing to attract and accommodate this important customer segment:

https://www.scandichotels.com/contentassets/2ce6650a89b24e6e8e54e6ec8c14da49/accesibility-at-scandic_eng.pdf

https://www.scandichotelsgroup.com/en/accessibility-contact/

About one in six people in Ireland have some form of disability, or about a billion people worldwide. How many businesses can afford to turn off one in six of their potential customers?

Here's what smart hotel groups are doing to attract and accommodate this important customer segment:

https://www.scandichotels.com/contentassets/2ce6650a89b24e6e8e54e6ec8c14da49/accesibility-at-scandic_eng.pdf

https://www.scandichotelsgroup.com/en/accessibility-contact/

Wheelchairs we are talking about

Wheelchairs we are talking about

No, we're not. We're talking about people who use wheelchairs, and people who use walking frames, and people who have broken a leg or twisted an ankle, and little people, and people with toddlers running around them.

Basically, we're talking about designing a facility that works for everybody, instead of designing to exclude some people. Why would you want to design to exclude customers?

No, we're not. We're talking about people who use wheelchairs, and people who use walking frames, and people who have broken a leg or twisted an ankle, and little people, and people with toddlers running around them.

Basically, we're talking about designing a facility that works for everybody, instead of designing to exclude some people. Why would you want to design to exclude customers?

When you build your hotel you get to make the decisions.
    A high reception desk looks better. More high end. The only people who would be affected by this would be wheelchair users and little people. But I'm sure its not a problem. Staff can just tip around the outside to check them in. It's grand

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Good lord some people are such whingers. Stand up, and do your job. You’re being paid for it.

If you don’t like standing then look for another job. Simples.

cournioni wrote: »
    Good lord some people are such whingers. Stand up, and do your job. You’re being paid for it.

Just tip into the toilet every now and then and play with the phone in the cubicle. Solved

• Advertisement

cournioni wrote: »

I think some people just think companies and managers are evil, and making people stand is "proof" of this.

Similarly, any guest who expects the front desk staff to be standing when they arrive are bad people. ("Want to be treated like a king").

I don't understand this mentality. Maybe I am the one who is wrong. I don't think so though.

When you build your hotel you get to make the decisions.
    A high reception desk looks better. More high end. The only people who would be affected by this would be wheelchair users and little people. But I'm sure its not a problem. Staff can just tip around the outside to check them in. It's grand

What happens to people with walking frames? Or people who are older and just tired after a long journey? What about parents carrying babies or trying to keep toddlers under control. How many people to do want to design out of your business?

More 'high end' because you say so? So the Scandic approach of a desk with high and low sections is some kind of 'low end' is it?

481746.JPG

Have a listed to Sinead Burke's TED talk about how it feels to be lost behind a high desk and see if you think it's just a matter of 'tipping around'.

What happens to people with walking frames? Or people who are older and just tired after a long journey? What about parents carrying babies or trying to keep toddlers under control. How many people to do want to design out of your business?

More 'high end' because you say so? So the Scandic approach of a desk with high and low sections is some kind of 'low end' is it?

481746.JPG

Have a listed to Sinead Burke's TED talk about how it feels to be lost behind a high desk and see if you think it's just a matter of 'tipping around'.

Walking frames? Old people? People with kids? Sure they don't have to climb up on the desk. It's not 6 foot high. The outrage is outrageous

Sinead Burke. Never heard of her. Who is she and why should I care?

Yeah the scandic crowd are cute out. Saving on raw materials is all they are up to.

Walking frames? Old people? People with kids? Sure they don't have to climb up on the desk. It's not 6 foot high. The outrage is outrageous
    Perhaps they might want to sit down after a long journey while checking in. Why would you think it is good business practice to make things difficult for your customers?

Sinead Burke. Never heard of her. Who is she and why should I care?
    Try listening to the message. What does it matter who she is? You should care because you want your business to attract more customers instead of designing out customers.

Yeah the scandic crowd are cute out. Saving on raw materials is all they are up to.

They're attracting more customers. Why would you not want to attract more customers?

Here's a bunch of other tourist businesses taking the same design approach to attract more customers;

Perhaps they might want to sit down after a long journey while checking in. Why would you think it is good business practice to make things difficult for your customers?

Try listening to the message. What does it matter who she is? You should care because you want your business to attract more customers instead of designing out customers

They're attracting more customers. Why would you not want to attract more customers? It's not just the Scandics that are onto it. Here's the cute folks in Westport jumping on the same design approach to improve their business;

You can put a stool beside the reception desk.

I still don't care who she is

Probably a cheap place to stay.

Bottom line is you are just looking to be outraged about something and want to argue your point. The problem is I don't really care about you or your opinion so it's just going to keep going and going.
    I do have all day to argue with you but I genuinely don't care about your opinion so try someone else.

You can put a stool beside the reception desk.
    Stools tend to be difficult for older and frail people, or anyone with reduced mobility. They also don't solve the problem for wheelchair users, little people, people with small kids etc. What kind of tourist business can afford to turn off parents with kids?

I still don't care who she is
    Whether you care about who she is or not doesn't really matter in the slightest. Try listening to the words, and see if you can find something that you actually disagree with. Or maybe you're afraid that you might actually learning something or open your closed mind just a little?

Probably a cheap place to stay.

Is that your best?

Bottom line is you are just looking to be outraged about something and want to argue your point. The problem is I don't really care about you or your opinion so it's just going to keep going and going.
    I do have all day to argue with you but I genuinely don't care about your opinion so try someone else.
    There's no 'outrage' from me, though it's kinda funny how often this word is trotted out, usually with snowflake coming close behind by those who don't like facts going against them.

Your degree of caring or not is entirely irrelevant to me. I don't have all day to argue, but when time permits and suits, I'll be happy to point out the continued errors and misunderstandings in your posts.

Stools tend to be difficult for older and frail people, or anyone with reduced mobility. They also don't solve the problem for wheelchair users, little people, people with small kids etc. What kind of tourist business can afford to turn off parents with kids?

Whether you care about who she is or not doesn't really matter in the slightest. Try listening to the words, and see if you can find something that you actually disagree with. Or maybe you're afraid that you might actually learning something or open your closed mind just a little?

Is that your best?

There's no 'outrage' from me, though it's kinda funny how often this word is trotted out, usually with snowflake coming close behind by those who don't like facts going against them.

Your degree of caring or not is entirely irrelevant to me. I don't have all day to argue, but when time permits and suits, I'll be happy to point out the continued errors and misunderstandings in your posts.

I'm not surprised those words have been put in your direction before .

Could you not follow her around and do the checking-in for her? Least you could do.

When I build my hotel the check in desks will be 10 foot high

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Return to talking about helping OP or this thread will end up locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

We stand for ten and a half hour shifts at work. We have rubber mats I don't find them much good but what I do find really helps fight of leg fatigue is to change into a fresh pair of shoes and socks each break.
    To be honest you get used to standing and now I would not go back to a mostly sedentary way of working.

• Advertisement

bertsmom wrote: »
    what I do find really helps fight of leg fatigue is to change into a fresh pair of shoes and socks each break.

Oh, interesting.

So you're saying you literally change the shoes you're wearing (slightly difference heel height / sole type / whatever) which sort of let's your leg muscles adjust a bit?

Advertisement