Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing in Work

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Yes I have 3 'work's pairs of shoes in the car or locker that I alternate between. Speaking to colleagues that's what we almost all do.
    I do notice new people seem to give out a lot about standing so much but to be honest I'm very well paid and don't understand why they join a company and then constantly moan about procedures.
    The body shop do a peppermint spritz for legs and it's really good at refreshing and cooling legs and feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

This is one of those situations where'd I'd just go pull an office chair from some board room or somewhere unimportant if there's a spare one that wouldn't go amiss.

Don't ask anybody, don't request it, just do it.

Learned that about many things at work. Best to just do it yourself and it will more than likely go unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d be honestly looking for another job, they sound like a bunch of cûnts. If you work about 40 hours a week that’s about 33 hours standing when you take breaks into account, lunch, coffee and bathroom.

Why can’t they allow you to take a seat when not dealing with customers a couple of times a day even. See someone approach during these times..stand up. It can be a high reception type chair like...

https://www.huntoffice.ie/images/P/jemini-medium-back-draughtsman-chair-charcoal-kf838253-kf838253.jpg

Looks professional and will aid you health and comfort during your working week.

bertsmom wrote: »
    I'm very well paid and don't understand why they join a company and then constantly moan about procedures.

I’d prefer to be very well paid AND have my employer ALSO look after my wellbeing, listen to my concerns if I have any. Keeping people standing is draconian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Richard308

theteal wrote: »
    Most people working in retail would be on their feet all day (did it myself for years) but on the one spot would only be confined to a few minutes at a time. Stood on the spot for a longer period can be very uncomfortable - I was at an even that ran to about 4 hours recently and I was not far off hopping from one leg to the other towards the end of it.

Wasn't there a big faff about checkout workers back in the day? Not sure if it was legally established or anything but something along the lines of if you can do your work without moving they had to provide a chair. . .????

There’s a SuperValu near me and I can see the staff standing at a til there when I go in at 10am for a coffee, and come back at six for some groceries. I asked were they standing for the day and they replied “yes, bar my hour break”. Wtf why can’t they get a stool or chair. Serious health issues from that in the future, and who pays for the treatment? Me and you the taxpayer, while these private companies coin on the back and legs of the working person. Sad Ireland and mentality to not let someone sit

• Advertisement

Richard308 wrote: »
    Wtf why can’t they get a stool or chair. Serious health issues from that in the future, and who pays for the treatment? Me and you the taxpayer, while these private companies coin on the back and legs of the working person. Sad Ireland and mentality to not let someone sit

100%, things are bad when a company FORBIDS an employee from sitting in between tasks, when there is ZERO work. I wonder if it would be legal.

Its actually not draconian where I work it keeps us alert and its easier and quicker to react to things.
    The vast majority of us there a long time agree its far better and wouldn't go back to sitting down in a line formation again.
    However when new people start they seem to find it near impossible to do and constantly moan.

They care enough to pay my full health insurance every year and pay bonuses, I fail to see where they are being unfair. It's work and we just get on with it. If you have or develop an actual documented medical condition where you can no longer stand they do their best to get you an alternative job in the facility but at the end of the day it's a job it's work I don't expect it to be cushy I just want my wages and crack on with the job.

Its actually not draconian where I work it keeps us alert and its easier and quicker to react to things.
    The vast majority of us there a long time agree its far better and wouldn't go back to sitting down in a line formation again.
    However when new people start they seem to find it near impossible to do and constantly moan.

They care enough to pay my full health insurance every year and pay bonuses, I fail to see where they are being unfair. It's work and we just get on with it...but at the end of the day it's a job it's work I don't expect it to be cushy.

Keeps you alert - so you can’t be ‘alert’ in a sitting position in between tasks, yeah right. Hundreds of thousands of people up and down the country actually sit doing jobs or in between jobs and manage to be alert, those in the driving profession for a kickoff, ALERT :rolleyes:

Health Insurance - that’s good, might be the case that some of you are going to need it.

Cushy - nobody expects a ‘cushy’ job. So you determine a job as being ‘cushy’ if they ‘allow’ you sit down to ‘rest’ for a reasonable duration during your working day ? :rolleyes:

It’s attitudes like yours that props up bully, unscrupulous and draconian employers countrywide. Those who are cashing in on treating people like dirt, who show little or zero respect for the wellbeing of employees that they collectively in a meeting decide...”well yeah, do you know what would LOOK better, if we make them stand around for 8 hours a day, customers would really think that looks great, professional and diligent.”

I never left a shop or business thinking...”Jesus, they are great in there, look knackered but they NEVER sit down, it’s GREAT.”

Yes I find it easier to react to what's happening and correct it as my workspace is quite spacious and it's more of a hazard having people trying to manoeuvre wheelie chairs quickly.
    I am not in a driving job I would have thought that obvious.

Yes it's great thanks I'm glad a stranger on the internet approves.
    I found it really useful when I needed it and appreciated the fact that my very draconian employers gave me the time neede to recover never once hounding me to return before I was ready and supporting me when I was able to return. I managed to contain my horror at having to stand up.

No I don't, I regard a cushy job as one where everything is a one way street in favour of the employee only.
    I am aware I'm being paid well to do a job it's not rocket science but it's a job where by consultation between permanent staff and employer it has been agreed it's best we stand. My point was when new temporary staff start lately they create a big fuss over having to stand constantly complaining about being tired, feet sore etc.
    In my employment if we need to sit down at any given time we can. A more senior staff member steps in to replace you for the time needed

Attitudes like mine. I realise I need to actually do my job to receive my wages yes I can really see your point.😂. Hopefully these victorian conditions we endure of regular breaks, health insurance, good wages and subsidised canteen coupled with plenty sports and social activities will soon be a thing of the past. We can only hope...

Yes I find it easier to react to what's happening and correct it as my workspace is quite spacious and it's more of a hazard having people trying to manoeuvre wheelie chairs quickly.
    I am not in a driving job I would have thought that obvious.

Yes it's great thanks I'm glad a stranger on the internet approves.
    I found it really useful when I needed it and appreciated the fact that my very draconian employers gave me the time neede to recover never once hounding me to return before I was ready and supporting me when I was able to return. I managed to contain my horror at having to stand up.

No I don't, I regard a cushy job as one where everything is a one way street in favour of the employee only.
    I am aware I'm being paid well to do a job it's not rocket science but it's a job where by consultation between permanent staff and employer it has been agreed it's best we stand. My point was when new temporary staff start lately they create a big fuss over having to stand constantly complaining about being tired, feet sore etc.
    In my employment if we need to sit down at any given time we can. A more senior staff member steps in to replace you for the time needed

Attitudes like mine. I realise I need to actually do my job to receive my wages yes I can really see your point.😂. Hopefully these victorian conditions we endure of regular breaks, health insurance, good wages and subsidised canteen coupled with plenty sports and social activities will soon be a thing of the past. We can only hope...

Maybe they complain because, they didn’t envisage having to stand for a long time or most of the daywhen in all truths it’s not required. Maybe they complain because they envisioned their employers would be more vigilant towards supporting their comfort and wellbeing.

They can get the big fûck off pats on the back re : sports days, providing regular break entitlements and social activities when they spend more time actively encouraging the wellbeing and comfort of their staff by permitting them to sit.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote:
    Maybe they complain because, they didn’t envisage having to stand for a long time or most of the daywhen in all truths it’s not required. Maybe they complain because they envisioned their employers would be more vigilant towards supporting their comfort and wellbeing.

They were told before they had their medical. If they dont stand up they can't reach the product to work on it so I think in all truths it IS required.
    Im not commenting on this thread any further I've shared my opinion and its not changed.
    Im perfectly happy with my employer paying me I can look after my own comfort and wellbeing when I pay my mortgage and bills on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Strumms wrote: »

They can get the big fûck off pats on the back re : sports days, providing regular break entitlements and social activities when they spend more time actively encouraging the wellbeing and comfort of their staff by permitting them to sit.

All very well, except it really isn’t up to you to dictate the seating arrangements. If you apply for a job and that job requires you to sit/stand/walk/drive etc, then if it isn’t for you, move on. But if the hotel reception wherever it is, has a standing policy and non assigned desks for staff allowing them to move to check guests, it’s not for you to call the shots. They just give you the big f**k pat on the back and tell you to mind the door on your way out.

Dav010 wrote: »
    All very well, except it really isn’t up to you to dictate the seating arrangements. If you apply for a job and that job requires you to sit/stand/walk/drive etc, then if it isn’t for you, move on. But if the hotel reception wherever it is, has a standing policy and non assigned desks for staff allowing them to move to check guests, it’s not for you to call the shots. They just give you the big f**k pat on the back and tell you to mind the door on your way out.

That’s a nice attitude. The employer SHOULD be of a mind to dictate arrangements that facilitate staff wellbeing and comfort while acting in a courteous, respectful, presentable, and effective manner to and for customers. If they can’t get that as far as staff goes how will they grasp it for customers and guests ?

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s a nice attitude. The employer SHOULD be of a mind to dictate arrangements that facilitate staff wellbeing and comfort while acting in a courteous, respectful, presentable, and effective manner to and for customers. If they can’t get that as far as staff goes how will they grasp it for customers and guests ?

A bit naive, but I see where you are coming from. I would suspect the employer in this case is thinking about efficiency, and that is geared more towards the benefit of the guest.

But no matter how concerned you are with the health of your fellow worker, again if it is established practice to work that way and that is the job/conditions agreed, then be as offended by the employers lack of empathy as much as you like, means feck all.

Dav010 wrote: »
    A bit naive, but I see where you are coming from. I would suspect the employer in this case is thinking about efficiency, and that is geared more towards the benefit of the guest.

But no matter how concerned you are with the health of your fellow worker, again if it is established practice to work that way and that is the job/conditions agreed, then be as offended by the employers lack of empathy as much as you like, means feck all.

It’s not naive to be critical of certain draconian enforced work policies. It can not enable the experience of the guest if the comfort and health and safety of employees are not considered. It might mean feck all to you but to those standing needlessly for hours, then having to go home and support families in every aspect just because some jumped up fûckwit believes that it ‘looks’ somehow unprofessional that an employee can be sitting to do a job at times. I’d have no issue for an employee to stand to greet and deal with guests as they approach a desk and remain seated while there is not a demand from guests for their services.

You can imagine that performance review of the cûnt who came up with that...’ I have enabled the continuation of alertness and customer focus at all times by ‘my’ team by having them stand at attention and readiness to support our customers needs AHEAD of their arrival’. Cûnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

An employer's first duty is to look after the health and safety of their employees. That takes priority over whether a receptionist looks more professional when they are standing than if they are sitting.

A chair should be provided if it is practical to provide a chair. I can see no reason why a hotel receptionist couldn't use a chair for quiet periods during the day. Some of the high stool type chairs are very good.

If a chair couldn't be provided (for safety reasons etc.), then anti-fatigue mats should be provided.

If there is a health and safety officer in the hotel, report it to them in writing that you are suffering with pains in your legs and can a chair be provided or can anything to be done to alleviate your symptoms. If you have no health and safety officer, then report it in writing to your manager. They would then have to look at the issue. People's minds tend to be more focussed when an item is put down in writing.

Just be aware that your manager may take the hump over this but if you are suffering, I don't see why you should have to continue suffering when reasonable fixes are available.

I’m going to have to backtrack here and admit that I was wrong.

Op, Regulation 18 is the relevant section:

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Retail/Gen_Apps_Workplace.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

A fairly well known international hotel chain design all the reception area for standing, computer points up the way and is embedded in the counter, staff working counter is a good few inches higher than normal table hight. Even if we put chairs behind the counter, the staff couldn't really do any work from that position.
    I worked like that for about 6 months, didn't have any problem, compared to bar or waiting where it was 10-12 hour shifts, reception shift of 8 hours and standing was a pleasure.

Advertisement