Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPW/Failte Ireland's plans to redevelop the Phoenix Park

Options
  • 30-05-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭

Morning,

Deadline to submit concerns to the OPW/Failte Ireland's plans to redevelop the Phoenix Park are tomorrow, May 31st.

The link below is an easy way to submit your concerns to the OPW. Please read and sign if you can.

We are incredibly lucky to have such a fantastic facility so close to the city. It is a haven for all, it would be a desperate shame to see it developed.

https://neasahourigan.com/post/have-your-say-on-owp-phoenix-park-redevelopment-plan/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭AhhHere

Emailed. Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

aquinn wrote: »
    Morning,

Deadline to submit concerns to the OPW/Failte Ireland's plans to redevelop the Phoenix Park are tomorrow, May 31st.

The link below is an easy way to submit your concerns to the OPW. Please read and sign if you can.

We are incredibly lucky to have such a fantastic facility so close to the city. It is a haven for all, it would be a desperate shame to see it developed.

https://neasahourigan.com/post/have-your-say-on-owp-phoenix-park-redevelopment-plan/

Given the size of the park, the proposed development is pretty sparse. It's not like they are planning to build houses and apartments in there. I welcome some of the proposals, particularly the Magazine fort restoration and access from the NWMG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You can't do anything to improve facilities or access in this country without people moaning. It's getting pretty irritating, and facilitated by people with nothing better to do all day than sit on social media. The Phoenix park in particular is hugely underutilised, and should be a fantastic facility for everyone in Dublin and not just the special few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Not everything has to be developed though.

The park is incredible and we're very lucky. Everyone is free to access it and not just the special few.

I would be concerned over the deer in the park as it is their natural habitat and home and I wouldn't like that disturbed.

hmmm wrote: »
    You can't do anything to improve facilities or access in this country without people moaning. It's getting pretty irritating, and facilitated by people with nothing better to do all day than sit on social media. The Phoenix park in particular is hugely underutilised, and should be a fantastic facility for everyone in Dublin and not just the special few.

I'm confused about the "special few" comment. Who is not allowed there?

My concern is any development is very hard to take back. Phoenix Park is the green lung of the city. Let's keep it untouched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the park is massive (in every way). The proposed developments make up a tiny portion of it, there's still hundreds of acres untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Thanks for the reminder OP - I've just lodged my submission in support of all the proposals, and encouraging them to have a bolder vision on certain things and to ignore the vocal minority NIMBY & BANANA naysayers.

I agree with the bridge to WMG. Great idea but parks don't need visitor centres or shops. Revenue spinners.

Parks are parks. To get outdoors and enjoy nature. Regardless of size, we should leave it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

PaulieC wrote: »
    Given the size of the park, the proposed development is pretty sparse.

I'd see it as the thin end of the wedge.

In addition to the plans themselves, two other things worry me:
    • Why did the OPW not publish the plans online? They published a summary of the plans but if you wanted to see the actual plans you had to go to the park. Draw whatever conclusions from that you want.
    • Failte Ireland's involvement in this I think signals who the park is being developed for - tourists not locals.

It's not like they are planning to build houses and apartments in there.

Interestingly the OPW are planning to use the accommodation that is there, traditionally used by park workers, for short term lettings.

The Phoenix Park up on air-fücking-bnb.

Maybe they'll make Micky D take in a few lodgers.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/short-term-let-plan-for-phoenix-park-lodge-criticised-1.3909771

I welcome some of the proposals, particularly the Magazine fort restoration and access from the NWMG.

I'd agree can't all be bad and restoring what's there does seem to make sense.

If Irish Time readers views are anything to go by the majority are against this plan. This was in response to the puff piece the Times did on Wednesday about the development.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/please-leave-it-as-it-is-readers-views-on-phoenix-park-plan-1.3909945

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »

Her 12th point is part of the reason I've little faith in the OGP delivering anything reasonably suitable. Not far off a year, they've been missing.

"12. I would like all the Park Gates to be reinstated as soon as possible and should continue to be a feature of all entrances."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

the park is massive (in every way). The proposed developments make up a tiny portion of it, there's still hundreds of acres untouched.

The beauty of them is that they are untouched. I find the comment by the OPW that they "want people to use the Park" very strange. Surely if people want to use the Park then they will use it. It is being pushed as a tourist attraction to generate income and will be destroyed if this is allowed to go ahead. The OPW have marketed the Park to tourists and now there is a growing problem with the deer becoming tamed by people feeding them. Fawning season is about to commence and there are tourists all over the Acres pursuing the deer. This fawning season could be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Varta wrote: »
    and will be destroyed if this is allowed to go ahead.
    A sense of realism would be helpful. A small part of the park would be changed and you're opposed because you'd like it kept the way it is, open only to a small number of people. That's fine - but then you can also expect that other people will be happy to see the park made more accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

hmmm wrote:
    the special few...
    open only to a small number of people

I really don't understand this point. How are people being prevented from using the park?

The Phoenix Park is (unusually) free to enter and use. > 1 million people alone troop in to visit a (non free!) zoo inside it each year...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/more-than-1m-visitors-to-dublin-zoo-896773.html

There are many paved bike and walking paths in the park and small car parks and parking on some roads also. There's multiple pedestrian and vehicle access gates on the boundary at every compass point. It's not like the whole thing is wild.

If anything OPW will prevent more people from using the park because when they have some bigger car parks, restaurants, retail concessions, more facilities etc in it I imagine first on the agenda will be hosting a lot more stuff like "Bloom", and concerts where big sections of the park are walled off for the paying punters only at prime times during the year. It's almost always about bringing in the money in "Ireland Inc".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Varta wrote: »
    The beauty of them is that they are untouched. I find the comment by the OPW that they "want people to use the Park" very strange. Surely if people want to use the Park then they will use it. It is being pushed as a tourist attraction to generate income and will be destroyed if this is allowed to go ahead. The OPW have marketed the Park to tourists and now there is a growing problem with the deer becoming tamed by people feeding them. Fawning season is about to commence and there are tourists all over the Acres pursuing the deer. This fawning season could be a disaster.

Well speak for yourself. I like greenery but I dont see why it has to be 'untouched' and I would be much more likely to visit a park that had some amenties and attractions in it. Phoenix park could do with a few, its just a huge space with nearly nothing in it, so many parts of this vast park that probably almost nobody sets foot in . Whats the point? For the deer? They are just a pack of common deer, theres hundreds of millions worldwide, a city centre park should be a green lung for the enjoyment of humans(to an extent, obviously it is nice that there are some viable habitat areas for the deer and other wildlife). But I dont think the development of entire vast park should be determined by the herd of deer

Advertisement