Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to Sell your Macbook?

• 30-05-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Anyone had any success of selling their Macbook online (DoneDeal/Adverts etc) with 'limited hassle'? I've a 1 year old Macbook Pro 15' which still still has 2 years applecare left so it shouldn't be a problem getting rid of it as its a top notch machine.

The problem is - its still worth a bit & really don't need the hassle of having all the tyre kickers coming over trying to get a good deal & worrying about getting conned with fake notes or dodgy bank transfers.

Any suggestions? I'm in Dublin. Wish Apple did a trade-in so I wouldn't need to go through this hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Anyone had any success of selling their Macbook online (DoneDeal/Adverts etc) with 'limited hassle'? I've a 1 year old Macbook Pro 15' which still still has 2 years applecare left so it shouldn't be a problem getting rid of it as its a top notch machine.

The problem is - its still worth a bit & really don't need the hassle of having all the tyre kickers coming over trying to get a good deal & worrying about getting conned with fake notes or dodgy bank transfers.

Any suggestions? I'm in Dublin. Wish Apple did a trade-in so I wouldn't need to go through this hassle.

Having sold high value photography gear on adverts a few times , A couple of tips I will give you is to only deal with someone with good feedback and make it clear in the add that you will only deal with people with clean positive feedback.
    Also have a good look around for similar products and price it to sell and set a minimum offer price.
    I use PayPal mainly but if dealing with cash I always double check the notes and have purchased a note checking pen for high value stuff.
    If meeting in public do it in a coffee shop or similar and try stay away from meeting up in car parks or likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Revolut is good for this too. Its not something everyone has, but quite a lot do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭ffocused

CEX should give you around €1400 for it if its the 2018 model.

https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=macbook%20pro%2015,1

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

ffocused wrote: »
    CEX should give you around €1400 for it if its the 2018 model.

https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=macbook%20pro%2015,1

Thanks; that could be an option but far below what it is worth;

Actually - that is a good question. Realistically; What would/should i expect for the following machine? Pitch at/Accept?

macbook pro (2017) - 2.8i7
    16GB Radeon Pro 555 2GB
    intel HD Graphics 630 1536MB
    Battery Cycle Count: 270

Zero cosmetic marks & Full Applecare up to Apr 2021.

I was thinking pitch at 2400 and don't take less than 2K - is that realistic or optimistic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks; that could be an option but far below what it is worth;

Actually - that is a good question. Realistically; What would/should i expect for the following machine? Pitch at/Accept?

macbook pro (2017) - 2.8i7
    16GB Radeon Pro 555 2GB
    intel HD Graphics 630 1536MB
    Battery Cycle Count: 270

Zero cosmetic marks & Full Applecare up to Apr 2021.

I was thinking pitch at 2400 and don't take less than 2K - is that realistic or optimistic?
    How much would same machine cost new ?

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    How much would same machine cost new ?

now models not like for like but it looks like around the 3,200 mark + 400 for apple care so this machine is 1 year old with 2 years of applecare left.

I'm looking to realistically price the machine so any suggestions welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Ebay just completed auctions

for €2400 you can get a newer 2018 refurbished model direct from Apple.

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/FR962B/A/Refurbished-154-inch-MacBook-Pro-22GHz-6-core-Intel-Core-i7-with-Retina-display-Silver?

CEX are only offering about €1000 for the 2017 model and selling for €1800, so you need to price it somewhere in that range. i would advertise at €1600 and hope for €1400.

Remember it is now 2 generations old, so you need to reflect that in your price.

for €2400 you can get a newer 2018 refurbished model direct from Apple.

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/FR962B/A/Refurbished-154-inch-MacBook-Pro-22GHz-6-core-Intel-Core-i7-with-Retina-display-Silver?

CEX are only offering about €1000 for the 2017 model and selling for €1800, so you need to price it somewhere in that range. i would advertise at €1600 and hope for €1400.

Remember it is now 2 generations old, so you need to reflect that in your price.

Got in 2018 with a list of 3,200 (ex applecare) - a 50% drop in 13 months is a bit steep but i take your point - I know its as good as someone will pay for it.

bren2002 wrote: »
    Ebay just completed auctions

This one is the same like for like but a 256GB drive went for 1390GBP & without the 2 years applecare

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MacBook-Pro-15-Touchbar-256GB-16GB-2-8GHz-Intel-Core-i7-Radeon-2GB-Mid-2017/133014283231?epid=238181780&hash=item1ef844e3df:g:MBcAAOSwxqZcllxh

• Advertisement

OP, if i was you i would hang on to it until next year at least because there is a redesigned Macbook Pro expected.

You could try your luck on ebay, somebody in the UK might pay more for it but on Adverts/Donedeal you will have your head melted with stupid low ball offers and others wanting to swap the contents of their shed and an ipod shuffle for it.
    Not many people buying on those platforms that would shell out close to €2K for a laptop.

OP, if i was you i would hang on to it until next year at least because there is a redesigned Macbook Pro expected.

You could try your luck on ebay, somebody in the UK might pay more for it but on Adverts/Donedeal you will have your head melted with stupid low ball offers and others wanting to swap the contents of their shed and an ipod shuffle for it.
    Not many people buying on those platforms that would shell out close to €2K for a laptop.

And that is my thinking as well - for someone who was going to buy a macbook will likely buy it direct from Apple - not go to donedeal & buy it off a guy they have never met and hand over 2k for something that could be stolen or have a massive flaw.

Ebay or Cex maybe the right route and take a hit. As for holding onto it; i'm getting a work computer so same quality that will be my machine for work/non-work duties so doesn't make sense to hold on to it and the older it gets - the less its worth.

Its is really not that easy trying to get rid of your macbook pro.

Advertisement