Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obligations to renting agent?

Options
  • 30-05-2019 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi, I got a message this morning from agent acting on behalf of my landlord. They want to do a rent review but don't seem to have any of my details. They've requested such details (rent/occupants/date moved in, so they can work out the legal rent).

Am I being a bollix in thinking that while a rent review is fair, I shouldn't have to go do their work for them? What's my incentive for getting back to them? An earlier rent review? Or is this unfair of me?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Would you not reply back and say surely this information is in your lease and that they can get a copy of it from the landlord?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is there any reason that you're playing hard to get?
    Surely its in your interest to try and have as peaceful an existence with the agent as possible.
    Deliberately antagonising them- when they're going to have to do the rent review (at the landlord's behest) anyway- isn't going to make your future relationship with them any easier. The landlord is only allowed review the rent under the strict terms of the Residential Tenancies Act. He/she is allowed to do this. You can frustrate it for a short time- by playing games with the agent- but you're only putting off the inevitable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

off-topic GDPR discussion removed. That debate is probably better suited to the Legal Discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Tow

<SNIP>

Please read previous mod note.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I can’t see why the LL can’t provide this info, unless he/she has lost the lease agreement. Having said that, the EA is acting on behalf of the LL so is entitled to deal directly with the tenant.

It’s not that much of an inconvenience to give the info requested, the LL would be giving it to the EA anyway once they retain them to act on their behalf, and it certainly won’t stay the review. You could refuse of course, but what do you gain apart from annoying the LL, something which no doubt would be remembered when you ask for a reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi, I got a message this morning from agent acting on behalf of my landlord.
    Contact the landlord. If he's using them, give them the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

the_syco wrote: »

Yup, if you've never heard of this crowd before now, I wouldn't be handing over any personal details to them. Contact whoever you normally deal with, and ask if it's legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

the_syco wrote: »

Nope. Contact the landlord, if he's using them tell him to give them the info.

When someone wants more money from you, you don't do all the work involved for them. The landlord will be paying them to do this, and charging you for it. You'd be mad to pay them for a service you are providing the work for!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Nope. Contact the landlord, if he's using them tell him to give them the info.

When someone wants more money from you, you don't do all the work involved for them. The landlord will be paying them to do this, and charging you for it. You'd be mad to pay them for a service you are providing the work for!

I think you are right, the LL should provide the info, you are not required to do it so why should you aid the LL in giving you a rent increase. Just like the LL is not required to help you get another rental in the future by giving the the necessary reference. So both parties should just stick to what they are required to do, you still get the rental increase, you don’t get a reference, everybody’s happy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You might in fact be dealing with a receiver who has taken out the landlord. A reciever could be trying to get you out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement