Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery from a "long" cycle?

Options
  • 30-05-2019 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭

Basically trying to build up my cycling fitness , for some reason the urge only normally hits me around Aug when its too late so should be able to hit some good targets this summer. My on-going weekly commuting cycle is 25km per day (no real elevation) max x5 per week depending on weather. For the last 5 or 6 weeks have been doing a weekend cycle which started around 50km and “hills” into Wicklow, last weekend was 80km down to Roundwood, Ive Sally Gap lined up for this weekend with a guy form work and next will be a couple down Glendalough way so should be near 100km
    So my question is what is a good recovery routine from this? Ideally I’d do the cycle on a Sat so could commute on Monday but even this week I could feel it for 2 days after the ride. Or in the other direction if I had been on the bike Mon to Thur would it be better to skip Friday and be totally fresh for a Sat ride?
    And a final question would a second hills day during the week be worth it? From where I work Im about 90min from Glencree so might be doable once a week. I normally do 2 leg days in the gym anyway , squats , DL etc. so probably some crossover benefits there.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

silverharp wrote: »
    Basically trying to build up my cycling fitness , for some reason the urge only normally hits me around Aug when its too late so should be able to hit some good targets this summer. My on-going weekly commuting cycle is 25km per day (no real elevation) max x5 per week depending on weather. For the last 5 or 6 weeks have been doing a weekend cycle which started around 50km and “hills” into Wicklow, last weekend was 80km down to Roundwood, Ive Sally Gap lined up for this weekend with a guy form work and next will be a couple down Glendalough way so should be near 100km
    So my question is what is a good recovery routine from this? Ideally I’d do the cycle on a Sat so could commute on Monday but even this week I could feel it for 2 days after the ride. Or in the other direction if I had been on the bike Mon to Thur would it be better to skip Friday and be totally fresh for a Sat ride?
    And a final question would a second hills day during the week be worth it? From where I work Im about 90min from Glencree so might be doable once a week. I normally do 2 leg days in the gym anyway , squats , DL etc. so probably some crossover benefits there.

That sounds like good progress there.
    At the beginning, give yourself 2 days off the bike after that. You could perhaps do a very light spin the day after or the second day after, to get the acid out.
    But at the start give your body at least 24-48hrs before intense training again.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Nice easy roll around next day, anything from 20 mins to an hour. I find a good walk helps either if that's not possible. Dunno if it's cause I'm getting older but I find the worst thing I can do is do nothing. Active recovery all the way. Maybe even 10 15 mins easy spinning right at the end of your long spin can help with recovery too.

Nice easy roll around next day, anything from 20 mins to an hour. I find a good walk helps either if that's not possible. Dunno if it's cause I'm getting older but I find the worst thing I can do is do nothing. Active recovery all the way. Maybe even 10 15 mins easy spinning right at the end of your long spin can help with recovery too.

Deffo agree on the walk, I always take the dogs the day after a long spin, just to get the legs moving. Sitting idle is probably the worst thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Been a while since I did any distance cycles, but I used to neck a pint of milk straight after getting home - read somewhere that it's a good way to re-hydrate and help your muscles, to aid recovery.

beans wrote: »
    Been a while since I did any distance cycles, but I used to neck a pint of milk straight after getting home - read somewhere that it's a good way to re-hydrate and help your muscles, to aid recovery.

yeah, and cheaper than sports nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This.

If you dont have a HRM get one, do about and hours Zone 1 doddling. It'll feel like a waste of time itll be so easy but will be beneficial.

Also don't burst yourself, if there's gym work in the mix just let your fitness slowly rise.

If you are doing 100k spins over the sally gap, your thighs will be killing you.

Recovery powder etc is great, but there is no substitute for stretching after a long spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some good comments thanks, Ill aim for something light the next day then, and will try using the roller that evening as a way of stretching out the muscles. On the food front , generally not too hungry after, ive been making a milk shake with added yogurt, a couple of raw eggs some berries maybe cocoa powder, then plenty of meat in the evening

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Active recovery as mentioned above. Baths with a good heap of Epsom salts are the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

best way to recover from a 100km spin is a 50km one the next day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

beans wrote: »

Chocolate milk is yer only man for the muscle recovery. That and active recovery as mentyioned - easy spinning, walking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

best way to recover from a 100km spin is a 50km one the next day :D

Ah here! I'm off for a 600k tomorrow. Do I have to do a 300k recovery spin on Monday?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No you have to go get your head checked on Monday, Audaxers eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Make sure you eat enough during ride, eat decent protein carb mix within 30 minutes of finishing, deep stretch yoga routine, bit of light exercise the next day, and in general only increase your distance by ten per cent of what you are already comfortable with

Bear in mind that obv hills are totally different to flat. 100k with a few decent hills might be equal to 160k on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,617 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Some good comments thanks, Ill aim for something light the next day then, and will try using the roller that evening as a way of stretching out the muscles. On the food front , generally not too hungry after, ive been making a milk shake with added yogurt, a couple of raw eggs some berries maybe cocoa powder, then plenty of meat in the evening

Foam roller won't stretch or lengthen muscles or roll out knots so while it has a neurophysiological effect, it's more just a precursor to some mobility work.

The bioavailability of protein in raw eggs is much lower than cooker so if the raw eggs are there for protein, there are better options.

Too much is made of a post-training window but it makes sense to get a mix of protein and carbs on board to some degree afterwards when it suits. Doesn't have to be much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,378 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Foam roller won't stretch or lengthen muscles or roll out knots so while it has a neurophysiological effect, it's more just a precursor to some mobility work.

The bioavailability of protein in raw eggs is much lower than cooker so if the raw eggs are there for protein, there are better options.

Too much is made of a post-training window but it makes sense to get a mix of protein and carbs on board to some degree afterwards when it suits. Doesn't have to be much.

cheers, eggs are just to thicken it up, i tend to ride fasted so just want something quick and re-hydrating, i never had the bandwith to unpick the whole broscience around when to eat, i'd imagine none of it beats a good night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,617 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cheers, eggs are just to thicken it up, i tend to ride fasted so just want something quick and re-hydrating, i never had the bandwith to unpick the whole broscience around when to eat, i'd imagine none of it beats a good night's sleep.

If you were a competitive bodybuilder, nutrient timing might be something you'd look at it but for most people, it's mostly about making sure you're getting enough protein.

Advertisement