Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre rubbing against inside of non-drive chain stay

Options
  • 30-05-2019 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Took the wheels off my training bike at the weekend to give them and the bike a thorough clean. Went out for a spin last night and the rear tyre is now rubbing off the inside of the non-drive chain stay. Particularly noticeable when climbing out of the saddle. It's always been tight on that side but never actually touched before.
    I tried re-seating the wheel a number of times and everything looks ok at the QR and axle but the tyre is definitely sitting closer to the chain stay than it did before.
    Anyone got any thoughts as to what could cause this? Could the dishing have shifted on the wheel when I released it from the QR?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

How are you re-seating the wheel? Stand the bike on its wheels, release the QR and the axle should settle into the dropout itself. Tighten the QR.

If it's still rubbing, try refitting the wheel backwards (ie. cassette to the non-drive side). If the rub transfers to the other chainstay then the wheel dish is off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

cdaly_ wrote: »
    How are you re-seating the wheel? Stand the bike on its wheels, release the QR and the axle should settle into the dropout itself. Tighten the QR.

Cheers
    Yep - that's what I did a number of times (to be sure .. to be sure!) and still exactly the same.
    Just odd that the dishing would move coincidentally with me taking the wheel off. I'll try reversing the wheel later - TBH I wasn't sure whether a rear wheel would always be built exactly centred?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Don't seat the wheels on a bike stand (except temporarily). Put it on the ground as cdaly has said and release the skewer clamp to allow the wheels to resettle.

Don't seat the wheels on a bike stand (except temporarily). Put it on the ground as cdaly has said and release the skewer clamp to allow the wheels to resettle.

Yes, I've done that a number of times - still the same! I'll have a close look at the dropouts and frame this evening to make sure there's no issues there.

Is the tyre rubbing the whole way around or just one part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you lift the rear of the bike and spin the rear wheel is it constantly rubbing or just at one spot on the wheel/tyre? Have you a second bike that you could try the wheel on to see if the same thing happens and if not is there a mate nearby that you could try the wheel on his/her bike to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Derailleur hanger has moved?

Clean the rear dropouts? Maybe some debris is preventing the axle seat correctly on one side?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Happened me once because there was a slight bulge in the tyre

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Derailleur hanger has moved?

Has zero to do with wheel alignment.

• Advertisement

Has zero to do with wheel alignment.

Depends on the hanger and also the frame. It had everything to do with the wheel alignment on my bike. The hanger moved and prevented the drive side from sitting correctly..

Is the tyre rubbing the whole way around or just one part?
    If you lift the rear of the bike and spin the rear wheel is it constantly rubbing or just at one spot on the wheel/tyre? Have you a second bike that you could try the wheel on to see if the same thing happens and if not is there a mate nearby that you could try the wheel on his/her bike to check?

The whole way around - leaving a mark on the tyre around the whole circumference.
    I could try it on one of the other bikes but the TCR is the only one with really tight tolerances at the left chain stay and the shift is very small (a couple of mm) so it would be hard to judge in another frame.
    The wheel is turning fine in a stand and can't be heard rubbing when free-wheeling. It's only when I pedal, particularly standing up, that the rubbing become evident. The pressure seems to be pulling the drive side of the axle forward which causes a slight twist and thus it rubs on the non-drive side!

07Lapierre wrote:
    Clean the rear dropouts? Maybe some debris is preventing the axle seat correctly on one side?

I'll definitely have a good look at the dropouts this evening - thanks!

Make sure the QR springs are on the correct way around, if one of them was facing the wrong way it can prevent the wheel seating correctly on that side and on a bike with tight tolerances, even the 1 or 2mm that it throws it out by is multiplied greatly at the tyre.

The smaller ends of the springs should be pointing towards each other so like this >
    <

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Make sure the QR springs are on the correct way around
    that sounds exactly like the sort of trivial thing which would have you scratching your head over for ages after.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

strange that it used to be ok but isn't now - ye didn't drop the bike or anything no?
    My guess (if not bashed/crashed), is maybe the tyres are older now, and not as uniform as when they were new...maybe stretched out just that little bit and now enough to rub off the frame?

On my old bike it has an external Di2 battery under the non-drive chainstay - when I decided to see what all the fuss was about with these big fat 25mm tyres :P I noticed the 25's were very close to the battery clip - the tyre rubbed against the clip if I got out of the saddle pushing down on the opposite pedal.

So, when fitting the wheel, I used to push my knee (gently) against the back of the wheel to move the front of it more over to the chain-side, away from the battery, then close the skewer and have the brakes applied as well (so a 3-point close procedure :eek:).
    Technically I guess I would have been slight out of alignment and scrubbing the tyre a bit, but anyway maybe try something like that? there isn't much to play with there on your frame if the tyre is rubbing...it'll probably poke a hole through the frame quick enough :(

Make sure the QR springs are on the correct way around, if one of them was facing the wrong way it can prevent the wheel seating correctly on that side and on a bike with tight tolerances, even the 1 or 2mm that it throws it out by is multiplied greatly at the tyre.

The smaller ends of the springs should be pointing towards each other so like this >
    <

Cheers - I didn't remove the QRs from the axles so the springs should be correct but I will try without springs this evening. In fact, I think somebody on here suggested dumping the springs altogether as they serve no real purpose other than for ease of fitting the wheel?

I did put a new set of 25mm 4-seasons on relatively recently so maybe they are a little wider than the last set - I also should check that the tyre pressure is correct, although I did do that at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

C3PO wrote: »
    I did put a new set of 25mm 4-seasons on relatively recently so maybe they are a little wider than the last set - I also should check that the tyre pressure is correct, although I did do that at the weekend!

Contis have a reputation for running fatter than their indicated size - so 25 might really measure 26-27-ish. Can you try a 23 on it and see if that's not the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

....and it was 25mm 4-Season Conti's that I had on my bike too, replacing 23mm's which didn't rub.

• Advertisement

... In fact, I think somebody on here suggested dumping the springs altogether as they serve no real purpose other than for ease of fitting the wheel?
    I always discard them when new. They don't serve any real purpose.

...I could try it on one of the other bikes but the TCR is the only one with really tight tolerances at the left chain stay and the shift is very small (a couple of mm) so it would be hard to judge in another frame....
    Do it the other way round - try a wheel from another bike on the problem bike.

Do it the other way round - try a wheel from another bike on the problem bike.

I have a spare set which I'll stick in tonight!

I'll definitely have a good look at the dropouts this evening - thanks!

As others have said..it only takes a minute piece of dirt to offset the axle and this is amplified at the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Have the cones come loose? - if they have, the wheel will hang down (a tiny bit) when you pick the rear of the bike up to spin the wheel (no rubbing anywhere), but when you ride it, the pedalling force pulls the drive-side of the wheel forward, possibly causing rubbing where you're experiencing it, if clearances are already tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The only time this happened to me, it was a snapped chain stay. It's pretty unlikely that you wouldn't have noticed that by now though.

Thanks all - Took the wheel off last night and gave the insides of the dropouts a thorough clean with sandpaper. It's not actually rubbing now but still very close. The same thing with another wheel which also has 25mm 4-seasons on it too. I think the problem is with the new 4-seasons I put on recently which seem to be a fraction wider than the previous ones and a fair bit wider than the Duranos I used in the past.
    The only other option is that the frame is cracked which is possible (it owes me nothing at this stage .... I've put 36,000kms up on it and it was well 2nd hand when I bought it!!) but I can't see anything obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Contis are definitely wider, most likely the main culprit, happened to me on a winter bike , stuck conti 25s on and back wheel is a squeeze to get on, if i ever puncture on it, ill be better off leaving inflation till after putting it back on.

Advertisement