Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home ADSB receiver options?

Options
  • 30-05-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice for those that are into ADS-B tracking that might be able to help.

I find the coverage on FR24, planefinder is quite poor especially in low levels, so that many traffic is not even visible.

For example, Weston, Trim, Navan, Abbeyshrule, Military, etc is almost non exsiting due to poor coverage.

There are websites like opensky and virtualradar that display better traffic and definately more then FR24, but the subscription is expensive.

My location is pretty good with high ground and aswell the antenna would be mounted on top of the warehouse with some 300ft elevation+/-.

Can anyone give me advice on what set up would I need,to install and get this running.

I could try Pi device, but I'd rather not due to its complexity.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

A PI device is actually quite easy, with limited programming knowledge I had an ADSB receiver up and working in about an hour, i then linked it to Flightradar.

Alternatively look at the AirNav box, radarbox24.com

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Xpro wrote: »
    For example, Weston, Trim, Navan, Abbeyshrule, Military, etc is almost non exsiting due to poor coverage.

Bear in mind a lot of the small aircraft operating into those airfields may not have ADS-B transponders, and military may choose not to use ADS-B to remain covert.

If you do get a receiver, some of the tracking sites will give you a free subscription if you feed your data to them.

Advertisement