Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract

Options
  • 30-05-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I started a new role within the public sector about a year ago. It was a one year contract on completion of the 1 year (I have specific dates) July 18- July 19, the contract is subject to being reviewed with a view to permanent extension.

Throughout the contract I have passed my probation with no issues, and my manager said to me on two occasions that I am permanent (not in writing of course). This week I was told that it will be extended for another year "if I am OK with that?". When challenged the story changed and I was advised a letter will be sent to me to advise I am a permanent member of the team.

I am really confused. I don't know how to take this anymore...I am being given misleading info. I get on with my boss and do not want to rattle the cage, but I need to know what these mixed signals are all about. I've a mortgage and bills to pay.

Due to them being so confusing I have started applying for other roles and I have interviews next week. Again I like it here but I cannot understand the mixed signals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Wait for the letter and see what it says, in the mean time keep applying/interviewing for other jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Anna2834

Yeah that's what I thought. I would have to take several days off to attend these interviews, which might raise suspicions if they seem me rocking in with a suit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you move to another job will you be in any better position? You will have to complete a probationary period in any new job and can be let go within the first year with little or no legal protection.

In my view a fixed term contract for another year where you are, with an indication that you will shortly be made permanent is more secure than a new job, new probationary period and no protection from unfair dismissals act.

If you stay where you are for an additional two years (not including current contract) you would qualify for a contract of indefinite duration.

If you are otherwise happy where you are I'd thinkly carefully of the pros and cons of moving which would effectively reset at he clock on any rights to a permanent position.

I do understand, completely get your point. I am just a bit disappointed I guess that I was mislead really. I wouldn't have taken the role if I knew there was another possible extension. I can earn a lot more money in the private sector than where I currently am (not that money is everything). However since it was the public sector I thought well maybe it could turn into something long term and was happy to give the money part a miss. I need stability more than anything else and I guess so does everyone else. Doesn't seem to be the case where I currently am. But I totally get what your are saying and it does make sense.

Later edit: confirmation (just now) that it was extended for another 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Wait for the letter!

I appreciate that uncertainty can be difficult, but acting in haste is not the right option. The Public Sector can sometimes move a little slowly, but it does get there.

Moving jobs now will entail risk, and there's absolutely no guarantee that any new job will be right for you.

You say that you get on well with your boss etc - don't under-estimate the value of this.

I agree completely with Fishonabike, and won't bother re-writing what s/he has already said very well.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks for coming back to me - yes its in writing. In all honesty I have heard some horror stories where people were let go after 4 years of FTC's when it was time for them to be given a CID. I have also seen people who were let go after the year was up.

I guess disappointment is an understatement. Not sure if this type of "contract work" is for me. I tend to usually have permanent roles.

Just extremely disappointed and a bit frustrated I guess. Not sure where I stand really.

Advertisement