Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doubling up on travel insurance

• 30-05-2019 1:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hypothetical question here, if anybody can answer it - if you somehow end up with two travel insurance policies, could you claim separately on both of them if something untoward happened?

My wife's got two policies. Her work pays for an annual travel insurance policy for her, since she travels abroad a few times a year for work. And now, since I've got both car and home insurance with a certain insurance company, they give a free family travel insurance policy as well. So she's named on that too.

So, if something ever happened to her while away, would she be able to claim on both?

I stress this is purely hypothetical!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I've looked into this but have never had to make a claim. (with overlapping cover)
    If you make a claim on your travel insurance one of the questions will be something along the likes of '...do you have any other insurance and if so what are the details....' As best I understand it if there is an overlap in cover it's up to the insurance companies to sort it out.
    Duffryman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hypothetical question here, if anybody can answer it - if you somehow end up with two travel insurance policies, could you claim separately on both of them if something untoward happened?

My wife's got two policies. Her work pays for an annual travel insurance policy for her, since she travels abroad a few times a year for work. And now, since I've got both car and home insurance with a certain insurance company, they give a free family travel insurance policy as well. So she's named on that too.

So, if something ever happened to her while away, would she be able to claim on both?

I stress this is purely hypothetical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

She might be able to claim on the double if she can get (1) two copies of the letter from the airline to say her flight was delayed (2) two copies of the doctor's letter and the receipt from the hospital where she was treated (3) two receipts for each emergency item of clothing and tolieteries she bought when her bag was lost or delayed arriving.

When you submit an insurance claim, there is a section where you declare that you have not claimed off any other policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Absolutely not!

It's fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

My leaving cert business taught me that there is no problem being covered by multiple insurance.
    Each policy will pay out a portion of the claim.

One is not permitted to profit from an insurance policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

fleet wrote: »
    My leaving cert business taught me that there is no problem being covered by multiple insurance.
    Each policy will pay out a portion of the claim.

One is not permitted to profit from an insurance policy.

Think it's called an average clause.

Each insurer will pay in proportion to the level of cover they provide.

It is an absolute obligation on the policy holder to disclose they they have other cover for the risk in the event of a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

More likely that both companies will try use it an excuse not to pay out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Thanks all. Sounds like it would actually just be extra hassle then if something happened?

Say you decided to just claim from Policy A, since you genuinely just want to cover your expenses. You’re not trying to profit from things the way some people do when they fall off a swing or suffer some other terrible misfortune.

But on claim form for Policy A, they ask ‘do you hold other insurance?’ – put ‘no’ and you’re making a false declaration that could invalidate the entire claim if they somehow found out, or put ‘yes’ and you’re into a whole rigmarole of having to deal with two companies and having them negotiate over who pays what.

I think that going forward, so long as her work continues to pay for one policy, we’ll leave her off the other one…..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Allinall wrote: »
    Absolutely not!

It's fraud.

Correct. You can only claim once

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

So if that's the case what do you do if e.g. you take out a travel insurance policy but take out another insurance policy e.g. home insurance that provides travel insurance as a perk?

In that case do you have to declare this extra travel insurance even if, in the case if an incident, you only claim off the travel insurance you've specifically bought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

The insurance industry seem to have agreed rules to cover these situations.

Happened my wife when she had an accident in my car (as a named driver). The policy that paid out was her own car insurance, which insured her to drive other cars.

My guess is the the paying policy will be the one covering the nature of the travel (work or personal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I know it is just hypothetical query, but are you sure she is covered for non business travel with her work policy?

Call me Al wrote: »
    So if that's the case what do you do if e.g. you take out a travel insurance policy but take out another insurance policy e.g. home insurance that provides travel insurance as a perk?

In that case do you have to declare this extra travel insurance even if, in the case if an incident, you only claim off the travel insurance you've specifically bought?

Good question. Or say you pay for your holiday by credit card, which gives you some sort of travel insurance cover too. Would this affect how you make a claim on your actual travel insurance?

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I know it is just hypothetical query, but are you sure she is covered for non business travel with her work policy?

Yes, but good point anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I have overlapping cover for an upcoming trip. The two policies are with the same company and they told me it's no problem having two policies, but if I need to make a claim, I can only claim off one of the two policies. Understandably!!

Advertisement