Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike for Commuting

Options
  • 30-05-2019 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for a little bit of advice. I'm hopping back on the bike after a few years, mostly to start commuting to work. It's only a short hop really (5km through Dublin CC). I like to cycle down the coast to Sutton as well though. Just to get some fresh air and a bit of exercise.

Now, I and the partner have two bikes. Mine, is a hybrid from a few years ago. A fine bike and does the job, but my partners is an old heavy yoke that isn't a great cycle so they use my hybrid for now. Now, I've wanted a road bike for a while. But given that it will only be used for a short commute or a cycle down the coast I've never really given into the desire to buy one. Now that I'm thinking of getting back into cycling to work I was thinking of getting myself a newer bicycle and handing the hybrid off.

Basically my question is, is there any point in getting a road bike for the above situation, or not? I'd love to eventually go for longer cycles but they're probably off the table for a while until I get fitter and more comfortable with it. So I'm kinda stuck, I'd like to get a road bike but would it be a waste of money getting one for a 5km commute through town?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might be an idea to buy a road bike S/H and see how you fare with it, if you're not sure yet; you could probably sell it for not much less than you paid for it. would also give you the opportunity to decide if you like a road bike.
    if it's mainly flat ground you'll be cycling on, you could also consider a single speed; they're easier to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I was actually thinking of a single speed initially (Fuji Feather, to be exact). But I thought against it cause I assumed that would suck when cycling into wind along the coast. I've been browsing adverts and Done Deal but most decently priced second hand ones seem to be too small, also not too sure on the quality of the upkeep they've had on them.

It's all a matter of preference really.

I love my road bike, but I much prefer the hybrid for the daily 8km each way commute.
    With the road bike, I would use SPD pedals, and would clip in, but it's too much hassle going through town,
    I also prefer the more upright position and the ability to have a pannier, and pick up stuff in the shop on the way home.
    A man can't exist with only one bike I'm afraid,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I think I have to agree with the last poster around having 2 bikes :)

I was in a similar boat a couple of years ago in that I wanted to get a bike bit was out of practice etc. I'd only ever had BMX bikes growing up so I'd never had one with the lower riding position like on the road bike. My commute is currently short, about 5km total per day into the city centre. I bought a hybrid as I wanted something comfortable, low maintenance and kitted out. It came with mudguards, dynamo lights, pannier rack etc already fitted but the only downside is its weight, it's about 16kg. For avoiding dithering pedestrians, I much prefer it to the road bike.

Having said that, I am thinking of buying a place and if so, my commute will almost certainly jump to 10-12km each way. I cycled one of the potential routes two days in a row, first day on my road bike and 2nd day on the hybrid. I don't know if there were other factors like wind etc but it definitely felt easier on the road bike. I bought it about a year ago as I wanted something lighter for going on longer spins as well as having multiple positions for my hands.

The downside is the road bike doesn't have panniers plus in around the city I feel a bit more unsteady but that could just be me. I could see myself switching between the two if I had a longer commute. At the moment though, I only use the hybrid for the short commute. I used the road bike once for the commute as the hybrid needed the chain decreased etc and it was fine but longed for the higher riding position etc around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My current bike is a carbon road bike that I got for my commute. While I really like it, it definitely isn't as comfortable as my previous hybrid with disc brakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I do 24km every day altogether in the city. I got rid of my old banger of a roadbike and got a nice hybrid last year. It's great for traffic etc, but if you're considering doing more cycling for leisure a road bike would probably be the best all round bike to have in all fairness.

I do regret not getting a good road bike as i do a fair bit of cycling at the weekends now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I do a 2 x 15 km commute from Swords to city daily.

I use my road bike but use double sided spd pedals and spd shoes to make walking easier. I'm clipped in until santry and clipped out from there on.

Might be worth considering as a middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I do a 2 x 15 km commute from Swords to city daily.

I use my road bike but use double sided spd pedals and spd shoes to make walking easier. I'm clipped in until santry and clipped out from there on.

Might be worth considering as a middle ground.

I ran the same when I used to commute through the city centre and it's a good option.

I'd be thinking the road bike is a good option. You can pick one up with disc brakes which is a big plus for me, better braking and less changing of pads.

Thanks for the replies, yeah it seems like it's doable. I'm planning on doing 20km cycles regularly just for recreation and I think the road bike would suit that more. If it's feasible to use for commuting as well that's great. Going to have to really look into this now and research what I would need.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Thanks for the replies, yeah it seems like it's doable. I'm planning on doing 20km cycles regularly just for recreation and I think the road bike would suit that more. If it's feasible to use for commuting as well that's great. Going to have to really look into this now and research what I would need.

Thanks again.

I use a hybrid to commute, I have a nice road bike for the weekend.

i prefer the hybrid for the commute because of the seating position, but tbh main reason I don't use my road bike is that it is too expensive/precious to risk in the traffic or risk having it stolen/banged when parked. If it were aluminium rather than carbon i would be less reluctant to use it for commuting.

A hybrid bike is definitely less suited to a recreational cycle than a road bike is to commuting.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    I use a hybrid to commute, I have a nice road bike for the weekend.

i prefer the hybrid for the commute because of the seating position, but tbh main reason I don't use my road bike is that it is too expensive/precious to risk in the traffic or risk having it stolen/banged when parked. If it were aluminium rather than carbon i would be less reluctant to use it for commuting.

A hybrid bike is definitely less suited to a recreational cycle than a road bike is to commuting.
    I think I would go for an aluminium bike if I was getting one. I can just about justify that. Carbon is probably out of my price range. We have a locked car park with bike racks in work so I'm not too worried of it getting stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Commute from Heuston to Ballsbridge daily, had a hybrid which was grand. But I picked up an entry level road bike recently for commuting - Giant Contend, and while not as comfortable as the hybrid, I much prefer it and i still have my good bike for spins.. If you're going to be going for a few spins, you might as aswell pick up the road bike.

I wouldn't bother with SPS/SPD pedals though or toeclips, too cumbersome in the city traffic to be locked in. standard pedals FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

When you're shopping, get something that will take wide tyres. Makes a huge difference in comfort and doesn't affect speed.

I always use SPD pedals and find no issue with them commuting. On the contrary, I find it helpful to be connected to the bike when negotiating traffic.

Thanks again.

You'll be looking to do 40km cycles after that. Then sixty, then 100km. That's the way it goes. :D

You'll be looking to do 40km cycles after that. Then sixty, then 100km. That's the way it goes. :D
    Honestly, I hope so. That kinda ties into the reasoning for wanting a road bike. But I wanted to know if they were good for commuting before jumping in, gotta justify the initial expense somehow.

Honestly, I hope so. That kinda ties into the reasoning for wanting a road bike. But I wanted to know if they were good for commuting before jumping in, gotta justify the initial expense somehow.

A cyclo cross bike could be something to look into. One of the lads in work has one. The wheels are that bit sturdier on them it seems.

I used to commute on a road bike with thin tyres. You have to watch the road that bit more with it, as pot holes and such like can really bounce you around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I use a flat bar road bike for my commuting. I like the speed of it over the likes of a hybrid and still have comfortable rising position. Have to watch the thinner tyres a bit more, as already mentioned. My preferred tyres are now available in 28mm, rather than the 25mm I'm used to so will switch them out soon. I think they'll squeeze past the brake blocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I ride a road bike for my commute as it would be quicker than a hybrid on my route. I’m not in the city so I’ve no problem being clipped into spd-sl pedals, and would probably still use them if I was going through more traffic.
    Mine is an entry level all aluminum bike (slightly upgraded at this stage after 9 years ownership) so I have no worries leaving it locked up at work.
    It also serves as my winter bike so I’m happy to have the same set up for all rides

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

Hi,
    You probably have your answers by now but in the true spirit of recommending what you own etc ... :)
    I would recommend:
    - A charge plug. A steel single speed bruiser. Looks great and can put up with tons of abuse for commuting. I've been using one for years with very little maintenance required.
    or
    - A bit sportier would be a Specialized Allez, I don't have one but this will do everything you want and more

The Charge plug looks quite nice. I was thinking a Fuji Feather if I went single speed or a Trek Domane if going for a road bike. I've a bit to think about over the long weekend now.

Thanks for all the responses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

If you do go for a road bike, make sure to change the stock tyres for gator skins or something similar.
    Most bike retailers will give you an allowance for changing tyres if you are buying a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You should consider a touring bike. It would suit all your needs. You can get flar bars or the traditional road bike curled bars.

Touring bikes will have a triple ring and wider tyres plus have panniers fitted. They will also have full mudguards.

You could put platform spd pedals on it so it could be used with ordinary shoes or clipped in.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/shimano-m424-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod7808?gs=1&sku=sku24177&pgrid=55940684381&ptaid=pla-429195985398&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|s37LOpmzS_dm|pcrid|294740729969|pkw||pmt||prd|24177IE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwocPnBRDFARIsAJJcf97HfBHJDrn_PjEtE6z8NdMMGBwFRACsac4b5XEZK2B119WD18OZnOwaAiE9EALw_wcB

This ridgeback looks a nice one. I really like the full mudguards.
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Tour-2019-Touring-Bike_211121.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Beginning to see a lot of cyclocross bikes on my commute. Indeed my brother just bought a cannondale CAADX 105 for commuting in London, but he just did 150k on it on Saturday for a spin. Disk brakes, drop bars and thick tyres.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Ferris wrote: »
    Beginning to see a lot of cyclocross bikes on my commute. Indeed my brother just bought a cannondale CAADX 105 for commuting in London, but he just did 150k on it on Saturday for a spin. Disk brakes, drop bars and thick tyres.....

CX and Gravel are what all the bike companies are pushing right now so I assume the bike shops are too. I think it's just the latest fad but at the same time for someone commuting on rough roads they are perfect for the job.

Advertisement