Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match play handicap

Options
  • 30-05-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Sorry if this question was asked before, done a search but could not find an answer.

I'm new to golf, started last summer, and joined a club this year.

Got a handicap of 18 after handing in 3 cards. Seems low for what I'm really capable of, but it seems to be the start off handicap in the club as 2 others newbie started at the same time and we're all off 18.

Anyhow I'm playing a match play match soon. This is a club competition and goes of over the summer. I qualified and actually won my 1st round tie..so I'm playing round 2 next week.
    The person I'm playing was off 26 at the start of the competition but has been cut to 24,
    I on the other hand am on 18.4. After playing a few single competitions with a highest points being 28.

So the question I'm asking is, will he be playing of 26 or his current handicap of 24. Also if I get .1 back will I be playing of 18 or 19.

I have asked 2/3 local people but getting different answers..

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

You play off whatever the most up to date handicap is on the day. So he will be off 24 and if you get 0.1 back before then you will be off 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I know some clubs have a rule that you play off the handicap you were when you entered the match-play. Hated the rule because I was losing a shot for my match :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

dar_cool wrote: »
    You play off whatever the most up to date handicap is on the day. So he will be off 24 and if you get 0.1 back before then you will be off 19.

The most common rule is to play off the handicap you qualified on as it's still the same competition. I've not heard of one where you play off your current handicap to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It very much depends on the club, but mostly it would be handicap on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

That's a bit mad. So you "qualify" off 15 hit a hot streak over next month or 2 and get cut to 10 say but you will play off 15 as that's what you "qualified" with. I've been at 3 clubs and all are whatever handicap you are on the day you play off in the match

• Advertisement

That's a bit mad. So you "qualify" off 15 hit a hot streak over next month or 2 and get cut to 10 say but you will play off 15 as that's what you "qualified" with. I've been at 3 clubs and all are whatever handicap you are on the day you play off in the match

I would agree, but it's no different than the majority of interclub comps if you think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Thanks for all the replys folks.

Seems clear as mud I'm afraid. Just when you think you getting to understand this game lol :).

I guess I'll have to find the competition or handicap secretary of the club to find out what the club's rules are..

One would think the rules should be standard across the board..

Ceepo wrote: »

Seems clear as mud I'm afraid. Just when you think you getting to understand this game lol :).

I guess I'll have to find the competition or handicap secretary of the club to find out what the club's rules are..

It should be on whatever board the draw is listed.
    If in doubt I would play off current handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kennethrhcp

give the pro shop a quick buzz, they'll let you know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The most common rule is to play off the handicap you qualified on as it's still the same competition. I've not heard of one where you play off your current handicap to be honest

I think you are on your own with this one Miley.

Current handicap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The most common rule is to play off the handicap you qualified on as it's still the same competition...

Have to agree with this in a previous club I was member of, as it's the same competition you continue off the same handicap as when the comp started.

I'm not bothered either way but that was the way in the few I've been in, just don't have the time to enter these anymore

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I must check this,I've dropped two shots since entering the ones in my own and have just played from the new HC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Congu state that it is up to the committee to decide what handicap is used but this is their recommendation:

3. In a match play competition in which the rounds are played on successive days to establish a winner the original handicap applies throughout the competition.

4. In a match play competition in which the individual rounds have a ‘to be played by’ date over an extended period of time, a player should play from the handicap current at the time of each match play round.

Thanks for the replys.

Judging by the replys it seems a local rule as opposed to general rule.

Tbh I can see the arguement for both side with it being the same competition or the newer handicap..

I think for me being off 18.4 and planning on playing one if not 2 singles competition over this weekend unless I get some Devine inspiration I'll be of 19, 18 was probably a bit low as I've never played close to this and with the other opponent getting cut by 2 shots only last week it kinda shows up a flaw in keeping with the same handicap for the competition.

It's only a game anyway right ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's only a game anyway right ;)

Heresy :eek:

;)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

paulos53 wrote: »
    Congu state that it is up to the committee to decide what handicap is used but this is their recommendation:

3. In a match play competition in which the rounds are played on successive days to establish a winner the original handicap applies throughout the competition.

4. In a match play competition in which the individual rounds have a ‘to be played by’ date over an extended period of time, a player should play from the handicap current at the time of each match play round.

That make so much sense..

Unfortunately sense is not always common ;)

Advertisement