Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration for VAT and reclaiming backdated VAT costs

Options
  • 30-05-2019 3:46pm

I had registered for vat when I formed a company with a friend of mine, but we have overlooked a month-old letter requesting further details on our VAT registration.

The question is, can we still reclaim VAT on items purchased after our initial registration, and before finalising our registration for VAT?

I think that we can, but am struggling to find any clear answers online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I take it you tried to reclaim the VAT already with the 2-monthly returns, but no joy.

In myAccount, you can get into ROS, and request confirmation of where you stand with MyEnquiries. If you didn't have a VAT number before purchasing though, then probably not. They're sticklers there ya know!

We haven't tried to reclaim any VAT yet.

The business has just begun operating, and we're concerned that a delay in finalizing VAT registration may render some of our expenses ineligible, although these expenses are fairly significant.

Not sure if this makes any difference, but we applied to regsiter for VAT months before we began operating, And then there was a delay between the time we began trading and the date upon which VAT registration was complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

On Revenue website: Income Tax, Business Taxes (VAT) and Capital Taxes,

Phone
    (+353) 1 738 3630

The MyEnquiries as in above post can take a couple of days or more, so if you are in a hurry the number above is worth a try. They are sticklers, but they are helpful, if you can get through. Otherwise, try your local tax office, who can put you through to someone who deals with VAT.

Advertisement