Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bent Bike Frame

Options
  • 30-05-2019 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Long story short, bike met a signpost.

Cross bar bent, bar underneath also compromised.

Went back to where I bought it and they advised the bike was a write off.

Naturally enough not knowing anything about bikes I have no reason to doubt them.

Do I have any other options?

Seems like such a waste (both financially and environmentally) to dump a bike because of a bent bar.

Is there any point in finding someone to weld in a new cross bar?

Giant won't sell the frame separately apparently, although I will contact them to confirm.

XYJNrgC.jpg

UrXYRSX.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yup, that looks like a write off all right.

Most of the parts would be usable on another frame, or spares for future use. The frame itself can be used as a trellis for a climbing plant or numerous other uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I agree, the frame is scrap now. But that doesn't mean the bike is worthless. Strip it clean and reuse all the bits, even the cables and housings. You might find a secondhand frame for cheap, then it's just a matter of re-assembly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

two tubes bent there - i.e. two thirds of the main triangle. as the others have said, the frame is shot; you possibly could get someone to fix it, but at a cost higher than the value of the frame; it's aluminium and you're highly unlikely to find someone with spare tubing of the sort required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

You don't need specifically that frame, to rebuild it. Any frame with a reasonably-similar geometry ought to take most of the parts that you strip off; bottom bracket and headset are probably also things to look out for. You may need to fit new longer cables, say, but the drivetrain (maybe not the chain, it depends), the brakes, the saddle, the bars (very likely), the wheels and tyres, the pedals, ...all should be reusable.

Looks to be disc break model? If so you need to keep that in mind if you go hunting for a new frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I knew of a similar issue with a guy's Trek (failed theft attempt kinked the top tube). Like Giant, Trek only sell framesets for more expensive models. The guy ended up buying a new aluminium frame on eBay for about €70 - wasn't quite as nice as the original frame, and transferring everything over - a few things were different (cable runs, meaning new housings required and non-tapered head-tube meant a new headset too), but overall it was a good way to save the bike and he was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cheap new frames from another very well respected manufacturer. I'm sure you can find one that will take most of the parts from the old bike:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/frames-trekking-278

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just be aware that the fork may also be damaged. Inspect it really closely before re-using it. The damage could be hidden inside the head tube so you'll need to remove it for a proper inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thestinge

Alek wrote: »
    Cheap new frames from another very well respected manufacturer. I'm sure you can find one that will take most of the parts from the old bike:

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/frames-trekking-278

Thanks for the link. This one looks fairly suitable, I've no idea whether the disc brakes will transfer over... Anyone know from looking at the specs?

Comparison of the frame and broken bike:

PPH1Elr.jpg

Bike spec sheet:

KFkIvBg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

thestinge wrote: »
    This one looks fairly suitable, I've no idea whether the disc brakes will transfer over...

The mount is the same (but might need a different adaptor - only a few €), but the Giant rear calliper mounts on the seat stay, and the Cube mounts on the chain stay, which means a slightly longer hose path, which might mean that your brake hose will be a little tight - not a huge issue to replace it with a longer one, if required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement