Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once more unto the breach - A Marathon Mission

• 30-05-2019 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

**Copy and paste background warning**

30 year old unfit father who has completely disconnected from running in recent times trying to get back into some sort of shape and start a 22 week program in the build up to Dublin Marathon thought this would give me some accountability.

As it stands I am a mid 18 min 5k runner (and a 53 min 10k runner of course ;):D ) at the moment but hoping with +20 weeks to sustain this sort of pace for Dublin

Plan is simple for now - Run alot, run easy enough to recover on easy days and hard enough on hard days to improve

Week 1

Monday*
    Double Run include strides
    Total Running time: 1 hr 47 average HR 163
    Inefficiency: approx 1 min 50 per mile

Tuesday* /
    Double Run including workout (Tempo**)
    Total Run Time: 1 hr 42 average HR 162
    Inefficiency: approx 1 min 24 per mile

Tempo breakdown: 34 min 08 @ 165 average (Pace : -1 min 9 per mile)

Wednesday
    Single Run
    Total Run Time: 40 min average HR 152
    Inefficiency: approx 1 min 20 per mile

Thursday
    Single Run include Strides
    Total Run Time: 1 hr 8 min average HR 158
    Inefficiency: approx 1 min 2 per mile

Notes
    * Currently on medication for illness influencing HR
    ** Impromptu session

This is my first full week back so has been pretty grim but will resume full training next week and base building.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Obviously have a decent base or strong running background if you’re doing doubles........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

30? Ooooo, new age category to chase.

All ok with the heart if on medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

OOnegative wrote: »
    Obviously have a decent base or strong running background if you’re doing doubles........

Used to do a good bit of running alright trying to get back to it.
    aquinn wrote: »
    30? Ooooo, new age category to chase.

All ok with the heart if on medication?

All good just a bout of illness I was on over the counter meds for. Thought it was more a reflection of the fitness till I actually finished up and noticed the difference in HR and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Excuse my ignorance but what do the inefficiency numbers refer to?

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but what do the inefficiency numbers refer to?

A crude metric but its a measure of fitness. Basically it is where I am no vs where I used to be for relative paces and efforts so I am effectively tracking on average about 90 sec per mile on average slower for the same effort than I would be when in good shape.

• Advertisement

KSU wrote: »
    A crude metric but its a measure of fitness. Basically it is where I am no vs where I used to be for relative paces and efforts so I am effectively tracking on average about 90 sec per mile on average slower for the same effort than I would be when in good shape.

Ah I get you. So it compares to heart rate and paces at the time you ran the mid 18 5k to now. Have you got any idea what time you might manage for DCM if your training goes to plan?

Ah I get you. So it compares to heart rate and paces at the time you ran the mid 18 5k to now. Have you got any idea what time you might manage for DCM if your training goes to plan?

Compares to when I was running at my best so roughly speaking would breakdown around the following

circa 140 would be easy pace effort
    circa 155 would be steady effort
    circa 165-175 would be Marathon effort
    circa 180 would be race effort (usually where I top out at with race efforts from 5k to half marathon)

These are more just based on my experience from my running over the years.

In terms of time it all depends on how fit I can get in the next 12 weeks before getting specific for the marathon. Don't wanna be chasing fitness past then but rather just dialing in the effort for racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fusitive

Good luck with it. Speaking as a man of experience on the trials of coming back after a layoff, dream of an end goal but think about progress from where you are. Getting back up and going is the main thing and chipping away at current fitness. Be careful with run/workout pace comparisons to peak shape, I know that road too well. It will come back but fitness does it in it's own time and on it's own terms I find.

Anyway, best of luck with the training and getting back up and running!

:pac::pac::pac:...if you hear a loud crash it's the sound of the penny dropping!!

:pac::pac::pac:...if you hear a loud crash it's the sound of the penny dropping!!

Told ya......

• Advertisement

Had kinda hoped lumping runs together etc might give me some little bit of anonymity :o ....... sadly not to be.

Had kinda hoped lumping runs together etc might give me some little bit of anonymity :o ....... sadly not to be.

Good to see ya back but your undercover skills are rubbish!!! Expected better from a man from D24!!!

Good to see ya back but your undercover skills are rubbish!!! Expected better from a man from D24!!!

Your investigation skills are getting rusty, need to update your files ;)

Your investigation skills are getting rusty, need to update your files ;)

Ok i’ll give you that one!! Member of a club from said area so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Can only roll my eyes with all this drama stuff. Why not just spit it out (not just the OP). :rolleyes:

Having said that, welcome back, all of ye.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Can only roll my eyes with all this drama stuff. Why not just spit it out (not just the OP). :rolleyes:

Having said that, welcome back, all of ye.

Ha just want for the quiet life, looking for me retirement chair in the corner. Have gotten really disconnect from running in general the last while (shockingly drove through Terenure a few weeks back without realizing the 5 miler was on) so only came back for the accountability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Welcome back!

Time for an update.

Seeing as the anonymity was blown out of the water suppose the vague training updates are a bit redundant (won't have to worry about anyone piecing it together from my strava :D)

3rd week back and have progressed the as follows

28 miles over 4 days (including staff relays in 18.20)
    49 miles over 5 days (a 5 miler friday to round off last week)

Away for a wedding at the weekend so took those as days off as I build back to full training and moved to a 6 day week with two session this week

Mon OFF

Tues AM 4 miles easy PM 9.5 miles incl 8x20 sec strides

Wed AM 6x3 min @ 6 min pace (60) PM 4 easy

Thurs AM 5 easy PM 9 easy incl 5x20 sec strides

Fri AM 7 easy PM 3.2 easy

Heavy week so far and adopting the slightly controversial approach of dropping myself in at the deep end. Easy are starting to feel a bit more controlled as week went on was starting the get the zen type feeling of focusing on staying relaxed as possible on easy days. Still a bit to go but easy is starting to feel easy around the 8 min mark which given I have been averaging about 12 miles a day is better than I would have expected.

Session was tough enough a great little loop nearby the new house with some good rolling hills however quite exposed in wet and windy conditions (which it was) averaged 6 min pace which was about what I expected for roughly 10k effort at the moment. Biomechanically however I felt clumsy and not good at all. This improved a bit with each rep but ultimately just re-iterated the amount of work to be done over the next while to get fit before I start to worry about paces etc.

Tempo and a long run over the weekend which should round me off at about 75 miles for the week. Very solid week over 6 days and from there move to 7 next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Interested in the biomechanical bit - do you do anything in particular drill-wise to correct or improve form when you get this feeling? Asking for a friend. :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    Interested in the biomechanical bit - do you do anything in particular drill-wise to correct or improve form when you get this feeling? Asking for a friend. :)

I think most of this is just the fact that I have done feck all faster work the last while and I am unfit so not running relaxed as I would like or should be, even on easy runs this is improving though and every day feeling a little better.

In terms of what I do in this regard biggest thing is not over reaching in reps, I want to run as relaxed as possible at the right efforts rather than trying to eek out an extra second here or there. I would rather hit paces and feel as easy as possible in a session rather than knock it out of the park if that makes sense.

Outside of this its the little things that we all ignore

- Strides 1-2 times a week
    - Drills 1-2 a week
    - Strength and conditioning
    - small bit of yoga

The main aim is just to keep the body in touch with decent range of motion after that its just about consciously focusing on staying relaxed in my running as much as possible.

Saturday

40 min tempo (10/5/10/5/10)
    *10 min MP effort
    *5 min HM effort

Paces: 6.44/6.20/6.48/6.24/6.43

This felt good I was way more controlled than I was expecting and definitely running within myself which is where I should be, HR kinda backs that up and overall happy with the session even if its about 40 sec per mile off where I had been early in the year but I am not gonna fall into the trap of chasing fitness but rather just focus on improving and the journey rather than the end goal. Gonna need alot of luck to get to a position where my original target for DCM is reasonable so just wanna focus on getting fitter week in and week out till the end of the general phase I am going into for the next 10 weeks from here (10 weeks general fitness training, 8 weeks marathon specific and 2 week taper)

Sunday aim is a post work 18 miler which will bring me up to 75 for the week a very solid to get me up to general training.

As I said previously the reason I came back was for accountability so I am gonna post up following weeks plan every Sunday to keep me honest.

Next Week Plan
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Fartlek - 3 min reps @ approx 5.50-6.00
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday 40 min tempo - 6.40/6.20
    Friday Easy
    Saturday Progression (7.40-6.45)
    Sunday Long Run

Easy runs will aim to be about 7.45-8.30

If anyone is around in the mornings during the week and fancies jumping in drop me a PM, been a long while since I have had the opportunity to link in with people to train but will be able to going forward so any company is appreciated. Flexible on venues within Dublin.

• Advertisement

Mon 6.4 miles easy (7.43 min/m)

Tues 7x3 min @ 10k effort (2 min rec dropping to one min for the last three)
    Splits: 5.28, 5.37, 5.38, 5.36, 5.44, 5.45, 5.38

Wed AM 8.4 easy (7.43 min/m) incl 8x20 sec strides
    Wed PM 4 miles v.easy (8.25 min/m)

Thurs Tempo* - 10 min MPE, 4 min HM (6.47, 6.32)

Fri AM 7 miles easy (7.43 min/m)
    Fri PM 9.3 miles easy (7.30 min/m) incl 7x20 sec strides

Sat 9 mile progression run (6.52 ave)
    Splits: 7.53, 7.27, 7.17, 6.57, 6.42, 6.34, 6.24, 6.18, 6.13

Sun 17 miles easy (7.42 min/m)

Overall a very solid week. First session up and ran on the same loop as the previous week. I think I may have been a little too pessimistic in my shape from that one as was a good bit faster this week and don't think I have seen too dramatic a fitness jump to account for it. Delighted to see my running legs coming back under me a bit feeling a good bit smoother and more controlled this time round and although there was a bit of extra recovery in the first few it was still a solid session.

Thursday I am putting down as a blip. The little lad had to stay home from créche due to illness so I sorted working from home, unfortunately nature of my job requires fairly constant monitoring as such between him and work the day was a fairly hectic one (didn't help we were already having a horror in work. By the time I finished work I had been up looking after him for mostly for the entire day so I was fairly fried, weather didn't help too much so just wanted to be done with the run. Got out and started. Overall body felt fine but just mentally I wasn't there. before i knew it I just stopped dead. Drew a line under it fairly quickly as just a mental blip.

Because of Thursday's non session I let myself work a bit harder on the progression run and loosen the reigns. Felt good on this one and even though the return leg of this was into the wind I got into a good groove and was cruising. Last mile and I was pushing the envelope a bit but overall happy with the session especially with 16 miles in the legs from the previous day

Long run not too eventful glad to get another +2 hr run under the belt at the end of a 75 mile week

Weekly Mileage Progression
    Week 1|28.3 miles
    Week 2| 47.6 miles
    Week 3| 75.4 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Fartlek - 2 min reps @ approx 5.40-5.50
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday 40 min tempo - 6.40/6.20
    Friday Easy
    Saturday Steady (6.50 - 7 min pace)
    Sunday Long Run

As always anyone who wants to link in with this drop me a PM

Mon OFF

Tues AM 10x2 min (75 sec rec)
    Splits: 5.31, 5.51, 5.34, 5.41, 5.54, 5.36, 5.43, 5.54, 5.38, 5.46

Tues PM 4 miles easy (8.10 min/mile)

Wed 4 miles easy (8.36 min/mile)

Thurs AM 5 miles easy (8.05 min/mile)

Thurs PM 6x600m hills
    Splits: 2.20, 2.22, 2.19, 2.18, 2.19, 2.19

Fri AM 9.5 miles incl 8x20 sec strides (7.41 min/mile)
    Fri PM 6 miles easy (8.14 min/mile)

Sat
    40 min tempo (10/5/10/5/10)
    *10 min MP effort
    *5 min HM effort

Paces: 6.39/6.13/6.45/6.16/6.34

Sun 17 miles easy (7.43 min/m)

Monday was a scheduled off day, little lad had vaccines so I was off to look after him so we were house bound for the day.

Tuesday and back to my new usual haunt for these sessions. Its a cycle track of just over 1km with rolling hills hence the splits. Happy with the session and was moving well throughout and the recoveries were solid pace. Not an overly tough session but a solid one all the same and these are getting back to the level of comfort I should be at these efforts.

Wednesday was a bit of a write off as the little lad had been sent home from créche Tuesday so I was working from home while minding him. It's not ideal as the job takes alot of attention so trying manage the two tends to have me wiped by the time I finish so I got creative to get a few miles in before I started and took out the buggy. It's not a running buggy more a mini tank but having seen reviews online I saw that people had done so before. around the park for 4 hard fought miles despite the pace

Thursday and copped mistake I made on the plan posting up here last week, I was a week off, Thankfully no one follows up my offers for a training buddy so didn't mess anyone up haha. Solid effort on the hills and happy with how it went. Roughly about 5-6 seconds off what i usually do this hill in when fit but I will take that at the moment for sure as a positive fitness is tipping along nicely

Friday morning and actively chose a hilly 2 mile loop and tipped along. In hindsight probably a bit overkill on the hills and developed a bit of a niggle in the foot. Plenty of work on it throughout the day in the office on it and though was still a bit of a niggle on the evening run it was manageable and avoided hills and stuck to grass seemed to do the trick

Saturdays Tempo a step up on two weeks previously and tipped along nicely, cut the cooldown short due to time constraints but wasn't too worried as at one stage I was convinced I wouldn't get out at all as I thought I missed my window early morning when little lad feel back asleep on top of me after an early start to day.

Sunday's run was the most miserable weather imaginable and yet oddly I was full of motivation tipped away without too much trouble for a third consecutive long run of over 2 hours don't think I have ever managed that. Hopefully a good bank of long runs will provide the foundation needed to get best out of the marathon specific stuff.

Week 1|28.3 miles|| Week 5| 72.9 miles
    Week 2| 47.6 miles
    Week 3| 75.4 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Fartlek - 3 min reps @ approx 5.40-5.50
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday cruise interval miles @ approx 6.10-6.20
    Friday Easy
    Saturday Steady (6.50 - 7 min pace)
    Sunday Long Run

Mon OFF
    Tues OFF

Wed 9.2 miles incl 7x20 sec strides (7.46 min/m)

Thurs AM 7x1 mile LT* (recoveries start at 3 min and drop by 30 sec per rep
    Splits: 5.54, 5.53, 5.54, 5.54, 6.01, 6.02, 6.05* (500m)

Thurs PM 5 miles easy (8.17 min/m)

Fri AM 5 miles easy (7.59 min/m)
    Fri PM 7 miles (7.42 min/m)

Saturday 6 min (4x1 min) 5 min (4x30 sec) 4 min
    Splits 6.11 (5.31, 5.18, 5.17, 5.20), 5.59 (4.36, 5.08, 4.52,4.46) 5.48

Sun 12.4 miles (7.42 min/m)

From the get go this week was an uphill battle. I came back to the car last Sunday to multiple missed calls from the OH. Little lad with very high fever (vaccines last week) Given that I had been in work all day while herself was looking after him I was on overnight monitoring duty. This rolled into working from home Monday so by the time I actually got out for a run (and I did get out) I had been awake for about 40 hrs straight. Didn't manage to even make the park a whole 2 min from the house before I knew it wasn't happening and walked back.

A bit of broken sleep helped Tuesday but with herself working from home to allow me to get in I was looking after him before and after so no run happening at all. Fever finally broke Wednesday. and thankfully he started to improve.

Thursdays session was a big step up dunno whether it was the weather or what but feeling nice and controlled and shocked myself to see sub 6's feel relatively controlled. Did these along the canal so footing was good but let my ego get the best of me by not accounting for the heat and also trying to hold pace into a very strong head wind on the odd numbered reps. This caught up with me as session went on but I was working a little too hard and decided to cut the last rep short not ideal but still a much better session than I had suggested.

Got my first taste of marathon fatigue over the next 24 hours with 3 more runs on very heavy legs felt like absolute garbage but effort levels were fine so they were just about ticking the boxes

Saturday and as I had missed Tuesday's session decided to change it up a little with the session. trying to decide the best fit I was looking towards something like "The Lumberjack" a popular US collegiate workout (4x400, 2 mile tempo, 4x400, 2 mile tempo, 4x400) however I wanted something a bit lighter after Thursday session so came upon a session I had on my garmin from earlier this year. The aim was to have the longer reps with progressive faster tempo efforts with a bit of turnover work in between to work on good form.

Session went well despite poor nutrition (forgot bank card so I was eating anything I could get my hands on in work as opposed to good nutrient dense food)

Sunday and I was looking to finish the week solid despite the start though stomach issues meant I had to cut the run short so all in all a so so week overall sessions were good but extra days rest and short long run less than Ideal but draw a line under it and go again.

Week 1|28.3 miles||Week 5| 72.9 miles
    Week 2| 47.6 miles||Week 6| 59.8 miles
    Week 3| 75.4 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Fartlek - 5 min reps @ approx 5.40-5.50
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday cruise interval miles @ approx 6.00-6.10
    Friday Easy
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Long Run

Mon AM 7 miles easy (7.57 min/m) PM 4.5 miles easy (8.00 min/m) + mobility and bandwork

Tues 4x5 min (2 min), 4x30 sec (60)
    Splits: 5.43, 5.38, 5.37, 5.33 4.32, 4.41, 4.52, 5.01

Wed AM 9 miles easy (7.41 min/m) PM 4 miles east (8.02 min/m) + mobility and bandwork

Thurs AM 8.5 miles easy (7.33 min/m) PM 8.5 miles easy (8.08 min/m)
    Fri 6 miles easy + 5x20 sec strides

Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

Never take anything for granted!

A good start to the week tipping along with mileage body feeling fairly good. Tuesday's session went better than expected as the loop I am doing these on is a very undulating one so given the progressive nature and how controlled I felt compared to the 6 min efforts a few weeks back at same effort definitely showed progress.

Thursday things started to unravel, car issues literally as I was about to head to work meant that session went out the window as I had a moderate effort into work to ensure I wasn't too late followed by a long tired run home after work.

Planned to push the session back to the weekend (Saturday evening post family occasion, not ideal but had to be done) Unfortunately the OH ended up with another illness (swear our new house is cursed) so I was left with the family occasion followed up by looking after himself who was refusing to go to bed. In the end this continued into Sunday and didn't get a chance to get out either day. Need to get back on track soon as I can't afford these slip ups constantly

The aforementioned session to be done today as this week is a bit of a change in tack

Away for the weekend travelling, rather than just have a down week (as I have two of these weekends planned in coming weeks) I penciled in tough more marathon based sessions which normally wouldn't factor in to a plan but the idea being that there is plenty of recovery either side of these to ensure that I adapt from the stress after

Week 3| 75.4 miles||Week 7| 56.5 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Cruise Interval Miles
    Tuesday Easy
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday Marathon Long Run Session
    Friday Easy
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Easy

Monday OFF
    Tues 7 miles easy (7.52 min/m)
    Wed AM 3.9 miles easy (7.53 min/m) PM 4.2 min/m
    Thurs OFF
    Fri OFF
    Sat OFF
    Sun 4 miles easy (7.06 min/m)

Sometime just not right this week. Was in no humour for eating health and sleep was off. Can't quite put my finger on it thought it was the humidity at first but can't explain it just couldn't motivate myself. Given all the sickness that has been around the house the last while could just be the bodies way of telling me it was fighting something off but ended up taking a few days off.

Was a planned step back week somewhat this week anyway with the focus on a long run session but bagged it and just rested up, started coming around by the weekend (was away and slept in longer than I have done since the little lad was born something not like me at all) seems to have done the job.

Not gonna stress about a bad week if it benefits me in the long run and judging by how this week has started looks to have done the job. Bit of a rust buster this weekend. No great expectations just wanna get a bit uncomfortable seeing as I haven't raced since January.

Week 4|76.2 miles||Week 8 |19.1 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Long Run
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday Marathon Tempo
    Friday Easy
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Race

South Dublin 10k?

South Dublin 10k?

Practically runs by the house so be rude not to check out my local race :D

Practically runs by the house so be rude not to check out my local race :D

Hopefully see you there.

Mon 7 miles (7.32 min/m) + Strength and conditioning
    Tues 18 miles moderate (ish) (7.27 min/m)
    Wed OFF

Thurs 11 miles w/6 tempo (4 MP, 2 mile alternating - 800m HM/Steady)
    Splits: 6.21, 6.19, 6.21, 6.23, 2.54, 3.20, 2.57, 3.20

Fri AM 8.8 miles (7.48 min/m) incl 5x20 sec strides PM 4.4 easy (7.30 min/m)

Sat 3 mile shakeout (8.06 min/m)

A bit preemptive with this week. Another so so week which are becoming a bit of a nasty habit the last few weeks. Early Flight Monday morning so stuck to the one run but managed to finally get my lazy a$$ back in the gym. Amazing how 3 simple exercises can hurt so much as this was a quad specific workout

Box Squat Jumps (plyometric)
    Barbell Back Squats (Main lift)
    Single leg box pistol squat / with weight (unilateral work for imbalances)

Weights weren't super heavy but the volume and variation really worked me will build to 2 sessions next week and hopefully maintain that (Quad day and hamstring day)

Tuesday morning saw me have company on my run for the first time I think in nearly a year, was delighted even if the pace was creeping down quicker than normal as I hadn't done a session in two weeks I didnt mind. Humidity not great and was fairly knackered come the last 2-3 miles but happy to get it done early week.

Wednesday laziness kicked in before work and put the run off saying I would go after unfortunately got a call from the creche and had to pick up the young lad and work the rest of the day from home. As I got caught on the hope I had left all my stuff in work including runners so by the time I finished work shift got back over to the office and picked them up it was nearly midnight so decided I had to bag it

Thursdays session went pretty well nice and controlled and nice to add a bit of variation to the tempo, broke it up somewhat mentally and paces were pretty much bang on as the targets were

MP - 6.20
    HM - 5.50
    Steady - 6.40

Friday and Saturday felt like garbage in generally but I am hoping that is just the humidity. This will be 1st proper race since January. If I can hold the pace I did back then (5.42 pace for 5 mile XC) I will be happy don't really care too much about time the main thing is just to come away from it with a good solid race effort under my belt.

• Advertisement

Coming off the longest sabbatical I have had from racing in god knows how long it was good to be back. During the week however won't lie was feeling like muck and was kinda dreading this but I knew I had to get a hard effort under my belt. I chose this race for simple logistic reasons as it was on my doorstep so I could get out without being missed too much in the house before work.

I jokingly said to the OH knowing my luck the little lad would decide he wants an early start just to botch and chance of Daddy getting a good night sleep, low and behold a 4am start even earlier than his normal (between 5 and 6) accepted it and just got on.

Handy jog down to the race and a few hellos to club members and some boardsies (aquinn and misterpaul coming to the rescue with safety pins as I made a rookie mistake) made my way up near enough the front to come across the boards honour guard of tang, AuldManKing and BackinBlack as well as an introduction to healy1835 (nice to meet you again)

Just before the start gun I spotted a lad from the club a few rows ahead of me. This lad had a breakthrough marathon earlier in the year (2.41) and is in great form and is one I will be keeping a close eye on in build up to Dublin as I am pretty sure our paths will cross at some stage along the course. It was the first bit of competitiveness nature kicking in for a long time. I reckoned could be close enough to him so figured him rather than the watch was a good target to track.

1st mile and was conservative enough. I knew there was a little drag as well as a head wind in the 1st 2k so wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing it too early in the race. I was fortunate enough to slot into a large group including the leading women. Hit 5.40 for the 1st mile which was a little quicker than I expected for the effort.

A bit of bobbing and weaving going on with the women obviously trying to shake each other and avoid anyone benefiting from drafting. Funnily a couple of metres up the road did I spot the legendary Tommy Hughes leading from the front of a group not giving a fiddlers and just grinding it out. 2nd mile in 5.39 and still feeling controlled though I was slightly off the back of a group but with wind on the back I didn't mind too much.

3rd mile in 5.39 again and surprised I was in such a good groove. I was in 3rd gear but just missing that desire to dig to the well (something a 6 month absence from racing will do to you)

4th mile (5.40) and I was working into the headwind with a bit of a climb. Funnily despite the consistent splits I was making more ground on the tougher milers than increasing the pace on the quicker ones, a definite sign that the strength vs Speed ratio is firmly in the former camp at the moment. Coming back down into the village however I noticed the cross wind had picked up a bit which was fine here but I needed to get back to a group before I hit the canal or I was gonna be in all kinds of trouble. I put in a strong surge (probably dropped to around 5.20 pace) and slowly started to reel in a group of about 4/5 runners including the top 3 women. It was a gamble but it worked as I managed to catch them just turning on to the canal.

Here I let the group dictate the pace, it felt a little slow after the surge however I knew that I would not sustain that and needed to regroup from the effort I put in there. Racing the 5th mile in 5.43

Pace didn't falter too much and it left me in a good position as many were suffering at this stage and I started moving up (unfortunately my club teammate was not one of these and had pushed well off into the distance). Came off the canal with another 5.43 (6th mile) and from here spotted a Raheny lad I often run. It was a good surge put in and thought it was enough to pip Breege Connolly to the finish but had left myself too much to do.

Official Finishing time: 35.21

Afterthoughts:

Despite the time being nothing to write home about I am very happy with how I ran it. The fact that there was only a 4 second differential between fastest and slowest splits and a strong close shows that endurance was there, a bit of race sharpness and probably sneak under 35. While there is still plenty of work to be done over the next 14 weeks it is still an optimistic early training block performance.

Week 1|28.3 miles||Week 5| 72.9 miles|Week 9||68 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Marathon tempo + hills
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday Long Run
    Friday Easy
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Cruise Intervals (1 mile)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nicely done and fantastic time!
    Are you a Clondalkinite by any chance?

coogy wrote: »
    Nicely done and fantastic time!
    Are you a Clondalkinite by any chance?

A blow in, only moved in back in April though originally from Tallaght so familiar with the run routes from over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

A blow in, only moved in back in April though originally from Tallaght so familiar with the run routes from over the years.

Ah right. Grew up in the village until I flew the nest about 15 years ago.....can't believe tha tower is still standing!!!

Remarkable consistency there man. Feels like forever we've read a race report from you. Hopefully many more to come.

Is the strength vs speed 'imbalance' something you plan on addressing or does the strength bode well for the main target which is DCM?

coogy wrote: »
    Ah right. Grew up in the village until I flew the nest about 15 years ago.....can't believe tha tower is still standing!!!

Tell me about it, though to be fair its been standing since well before you or me have been casting our gaze on it :D
    Remarkable consistency there man. Feels like forever we've read a race report from you. Hopefully many more to come.

Is the strength vs speed 'imbalance' something you plan on addressing or does the strength bode well for the main target which is DCM?

In terms of the strength side some of this could have just been race rust and not being able to get myself into a position of hurting too much early on. That could well change with a few races under the belt and could be a whole other ball game.

Having said that even if it was an imbalance it is not something I am looking to correct from a session standpoint anyway remember listening to a coach recently talking about fully buying into the marathon which struck a cord. Trying to balance 10k sessions in a marathon plan and kinda hedging bets to an extent. That is not to say I will avoid faster sessions but rather just that they will be sporadic and focus will be more on alot of tempo and endurance work.

I did this approach back in 2016 and while worked well to an extent I was a bit mono paced so I plan to correct that with weekly strides and trying to be consistent with the strength and conditioning which will hopefully add that extra layer of explosive power. As mentioned previously my strength and conditioning sessions are gonna involve some explosive plyometric exercises to start each session off, working down to imbalances which should stand to me if I can be consistent.

• Advertisement

Very nice to see you again today L, nice to see the improvements again for you. Hopefully you’ll continue in that vain for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done there L. Not the easiest of races. Tommy Hughes is some runner all right - proper old school!

Gonna start updating this a bit more frequently now that we are creeping into more specific and training is getting a bit more heavy

Mon AM 7 easy (8.03 min/m) + GYM PM 4 easy (7.30 min/m)

Tues 3 miles MP effort, 1 mile easy, 6x1 min hills jog back recovery

Splits:Tempo: 6.22, 6.25, 6.26,
    Hills (approx 6% gradient) 6.39, 6.23, 6.36, 6.53, 6.44, 6.51

Wed 4 easy (7.57 min/m)

Thurs 18.7 easy (7.42 min/m)

Hit the ground running this week feeling fairly good after the Race Sunday no major soreness just a little bit of heaviness. Gym session was focused on hamstrings with following exercises

Single Leg Deadlift box jumps
    Barbell Deadlifts
    KettleBell single leg deadlifts
    Cable cross overs

Similar progression of plyo, strength and unilateral work to get some serious volume into the legs which had the hamstrings still feeling it today.

Tuesdays session and legs were still heavy as hell with the last few days. Decided to pull back the paces a little with the heat but overall a spot on session nice and controlled and working but not too much. Came away feeling like I could have done more which is where should feel rather than out on my feet especially 2 days after a race.

Wednesday was not a good day. Heat had got to the little lad so he was up about 4 and by time I got him back down to sleep (not in his cot) I was wrecked myself. Procrastinated after he went to creche and figure I would swap short run for the early one as I knew would take me a while to wake up properly. Unfortunately he also woke shortly after I got home from work and knew it was another night on the couch for the two of us so evening run went out the window.

2nd week in a row I had managed a luck strike with some company for the long run; this time in the shape of Dublin runner. Got into PP a little early after dropping the little lad to creche and got a few miles in before as DR was not going as long and figured would make it easier to have company in the latter stages.

Went a good bit better than last week where heat got to me and I was out on my feet by the end a little. nice to get it done and out of the way midweek. A couple of easy days (bar a gym session) now before longer session Sunday.

Fri AM 7.3 easy (7.52 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.56 min/m)

Sat 1.3 miles (8.23 min/m)

Sun 7x1 mile LT (Recoveries start at 3 min working down by 30 sec per rep)
    Splits: 5.59, 6.03, 6.02, 6.03, 6.03, 6.04, 6.02

Friday was enjoyable run mutes following the canal the whole way to and from work fairly uneventful just about getting it done as I was stuck for time and only way to get my runs in was to avoid traffic commute

Saturday was a write off. it was my own fault as a busy day and eating crap just to keep me ticking over, caught up on me by the time I actually got out on my run and I was struggling to break 8.30, wasn't improving at all as the run went on so pulled the plug not ideal but I was flogging a dead horse as there was just nothing there.

Sunday was a strange one, felt controlled but couldn't pick up up either just kinda one paced. I think at the moment I am just not getting enough sleep so even though the sessions are controlled I am just missing that extra gear, bit of a stint of box ticking moreso than anything stellar at the moment

Week 2| 47.6 miles||Week 6| 59.8 miles|Week 10||70.1 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Marathon style hybrid session
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday Easy
    Friday Long run
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Progression run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I see you did that 7x1mile late enough Sunday. Do you have any issues switching off trying to sleep afterwards? I find if I do a late one I struggle to get to sleep afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I see you did that 7x1mile late enough Sunday. Do you have any issues switching off trying to sleep afterwards? I find if I do a late one I struggle to get to sleep afterwards

Same, takes me 90 minutes or so to get asleep.

Getting to sleep is no issue (I am blessed with the ability to fall asleep every opportunity I get - much to the annoyance of the OH)

I work every second weekend so my weekends off I tend to try and avoid interfering with family and get out late (I do mornings with the little lad to allow her to lie in a bit)

The last while he has just been waking a little earlier with the heat

It's not optimal but it's how it fits into life overall. With things cooling down a bit should be back to normal this week hopefully.

Mon AM 9 easy (7.33 min/m) incl 11x20 sec strides PM 3.8 easy (8.07 min/m)

Tues 3 mile MP, 1 mile easy, 3x1 mile w/ 3 min rec (HM working down to 10k), 4 min rec ,3 mile MP

Splits: (6.27, 6.20, 6.24) - 7.25 - 5.58, 5.50, 5.38, (6.22, 6.17, 6.19)

Wed OFF

Thurs AM 4.5 easy (8.05 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.45 min/m)

Fri OFF
    Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

Good start to the week with first proper marathon session. Won't lie I was apprehensive about this one as it looked a bit daunting on paper but once I got going actually went fine. Marathon effort wasn't too bad and a generous recovery after the first tempo section, then it was into the 1 mile reps, and legs had opened up nicely as the session went on getting down to 10k for the last one which felt fast on the legs but aerobically was fine. a bit of fatigue built into the legs for the last part but the touch on faster paces had the legs feeling comfortable at Marathon effort pace (plan was slightly faster than 1st 3 mile)

Wednesday I was off work however running was out the first half of the day so planned to get out after the little lad went to bed and had dinner, only problem was that he only stayed down for about an hour before decided he was having none of the cot this evening so had to take the hit on this one.

Getting his last vaccines thursday meant that only way I was getting out in the morning was with buggy, done a bit of research on the pram we have and few people has used it for running but its heavy duty so wouldn't recommend it, kept to flat and just tipped around, he got a nap and I got the run, everyone a winner. was sweating bullets so thought between the buggy and the heat didn't think too much of it.

Friday and struggled in the morning, a good few nights bad sleep the last while had just had me struggling to get going so got lazy before work however as the day went on I realized that motivation wasn't the issue. down with a dose and judging from the symptoms definitely run down. Been getting progressively worse as the days went on so despite best intentions last three days were a write off.

Been threading a very fine line the last while with herself and the little lad nearly being constantly sick for the past number of weeks and had been holding it together but I think a few lapses in discipline regarding the nutrition and getting sleep when I could have (opting for an hour of Netflix after work rather than straight to bed) just sent me over the edge.

Hoping to see signs of improvement tomorrow as I really am running out of time to be honest with too many slip ups in this build up.

Week 3| 75.4 miles||Week 7| 56.5 miles|Week 11||37.5 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday 1k reps
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday Marathon Spec Session (2k/1k)
    Friday easy
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Threshold session

Tough to see you struggling to get the runs in. To be fair to you at least you're not trying to chase those lost days/miles. Any thoughts on the target changing or do you think you've reached that critical point yet?

Mon - Sunday - Zilch, Nada, bubkis

The sickness turned for the worst and ended up with an acute chest infection. To put into context how out of the norm this is when went looking for my previous doctor I realized that he retired about 4 years ago.

Course of Anti biotics, a few days of proper R and R and finally starting to get back to myself. This build up has been no where near to ideal but just have to take it as it comes at this stage
    Tough to see you struggling to get the runs in. To be fair to you at least you're not trying to chase those lost days/miles. Any thoughts on the target changing or do you think you've reached that critical point yet?

In terms of target changing yes and no. I came into this plan trying to get fit enough to set me up to go after my target, coming into the specific phase now I am not there but the goal was mainly to be get as fit as I could to target specific, so in that regard I am where I had planned to be it is just that that point is lower than I would have liked

Having said that I still believe a PB can be achieved weirdly enough so in that regard I am not stressed just gonna give it my best bash and see how it goes. No matter what a marathon block is going to stand to me in the long run so not too worried about the end result as long as they process stands to me

Week 3| 75.4 miles||Week 7| 56.5 miles|Week 11||37.5 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles||Week 8 |19.1 miles|Week 12||0 miles

Skulking back in with my tail between my legs

Last 8 weeks have been an absolute disaster. Came back from illness (10 days off) and being the sensible numpty that I am jumped straight back into training tweaked the calf doing a session of K's on the Tuesday and after 2 failed attempts at a session Thurs/Fri I backed off amd took a few days off.

Unfortunately rather than just accept it I put myself under pressure I knew time was running out for Dublin yet kept putting myself under pressure. This wasn't helped by a few things happening at home so in the end I just competely **** down. The next 8 weeks I did a handful of runs (most not wearing watch or and form of monitoring or structure) I simply was getting out to blow off steam where I could (which was not as much as I like)

Finally managed to come out of the spiral and start building things back

I have decided for the forseeable I am running for time and not taking a look at pace etc just getting back consistently running

3 days in a row followed by 4 days in a row last week I am now in a place where I am happy to get back running consistently

Still plan on getting around Dublin so the next 2 weeks will just be tipping along and get back to normality following that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭healy1835

"Still plan on getting around Dublin so the next 2 weeks..."

Anything resembling a target yet?

healy1835 wrote: »
    "Still plan on getting around Dublin so the next 2 weeks..."

Anything resembling a target yet?

Ha not at all

This was the last time I went beyond 10 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2576994939

Realistically I just need to be smart and conservative or I won't even get around the distance.

Hoping the atmosphere gives me a bit of a boost for training going forward nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭MY BAD

If you were coaching someone who had a similar story to you over the past six months. What advice would you give them if they wanted to run 42.2km even at a easy pace?

If you were coaching someone who had a similar story to you over the past six months. What advice would you give them if they wanted to run 42.2km even at a easy pace?

From a physiological standpoint it's probably not the smartest move however in my perspective its a calculated decision that the mental benefits will out weight physical in long term.

99% of my running the last 18 months has been alone, many of which were early morning or very late night. I have only raced twice this year so I think it will just dial me back in with the sport a bit as the grá has been waivering a bit at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement