Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once more unto the breach - A Marathon Mission

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Nicely done and fantastic time!
    Are you a Clondalkinite by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

coogy wrote: »
    Nicely done and fantastic time!
    Are you a Clondalkinite by any chance?

A blow in, only moved in back in April though originally from Tallaght so familiar with the run routes from over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

KSU wrote: »
    A blow in, only moved in back in April though originally from Tallaght so familiar with the run routes from over the years.

Ah right. Grew up in the village until I flew the nest about 15 years ago.....can't believe tha tower is still standing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Remarkable consistency there man. Feels like forever we've read a race report from you. Hopefully many more to come.

Is the strength vs speed 'imbalance' something you plan on addressing or does the strength bode well for the main target which is DCM?

coogy wrote: »
    Ah right. Grew up in the village until I flew the nest about 15 years ago.....can't believe tha tower is still standing!!!

Tell me about it, though to be fair its been standing since well before you or me have been casting our gaze on it :D
    Remarkable consistency there man. Feels like forever we've read a race report from you. Hopefully many more to come.

Is the strength vs speed 'imbalance' something you plan on addressing or does the strength bode well for the main target which is DCM?

In terms of the strength side some of this could have just been race rust and not being able to get myself into a position of hurting too much early on. That could well change with a few races under the belt and could be a whole other ball game.

Having said that even if it was an imbalance it is not something I am looking to correct from a session standpoint anyway remember listening to a coach recently talking about fully buying into the marathon which struck a cord. Trying to balance 10k sessions in a marathon plan and kinda hedging bets to an extent. That is not to say I will avoid faster sessions but rather just that they will be sporadic and focus will be more on alot of tempo and endurance work.

I did this approach back in 2016 and while worked well to an extent I was a bit mono paced so I plan to correct that with weekly strides and trying to be consistent with the strength and conditioning which will hopefully add that extra layer of explosive power. As mentioned previously my strength and conditioning sessions are gonna involve some explosive plyometric exercises to start each session off, working down to imbalances which should stand to me if I can be consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Very nice to see you again today L, nice to see the improvements again for you. Hopefully you’ll continue in that vain for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done there L. Not the easiest of races. Tommy Hughes is some runner all right - proper old school!

Gonna start updating this a bit more frequently now that we are creeping into more specific and training is getting a bit more heavy

Mon AM 7 easy (8.03 min/m) + GYM PM 4 easy (7.30 min/m)

Tues 3 miles MP effort, 1 mile easy, 6x1 min hills jog back recovery

Splits:Tempo: 6.22, 6.25, 6.26,
    Hills (approx 6% gradient) 6.39, 6.23, 6.36, 6.53, 6.44, 6.51

Wed 4 easy (7.57 min/m)

Thurs 18.7 easy (7.42 min/m)

Hit the ground running this week feeling fairly good after the Race Sunday no major soreness just a little bit of heaviness. Gym session was focused on hamstrings with following exercises

Single Leg Deadlift box jumps
    Barbell Deadlifts
    KettleBell single leg deadlifts
    Cable cross overs

Similar progression of plyo, strength and unilateral work to get some serious volume into the legs which had the hamstrings still feeling it today.

Tuesdays session and legs were still heavy as hell with the last few days. Decided to pull back the paces a little with the heat but overall a spot on session nice and controlled and working but not too much. Came away feeling like I could have done more which is where should feel rather than out on my feet especially 2 days after a race.

Wednesday was not a good day. Heat had got to the little lad so he was up about 4 and by time I got him back down to sleep (not in his cot) I was wrecked myself. Procrastinated after he went to creche and figure I would swap short run for the early one as I knew would take me a while to wake up properly. Unfortunately he also woke shortly after I got home from work and knew it was another night on the couch for the two of us so evening run went out the window.

2nd week in a row I had managed a luck strike with some company for the long run; this time in the shape of Dublin runner. Got into PP a little early after dropping the little lad to creche and got a few miles in before as DR was not going as long and figured would make it easier to have company in the latter stages.

Went a good bit better than last week where heat got to me and I was out on my feet by the end a little. nice to get it done and out of the way midweek. A couple of easy days (bar a gym session) now before longer session Sunday.

Fri AM 7.3 easy (7.52 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.56 min/m)

Sat 1.3 miles (8.23 min/m)

Sun 7x1 mile LT (Recoveries start at 3 min working down by 30 sec per rep)
    Splits: 5.59, 6.03, 6.02, 6.03, 6.03, 6.04, 6.02

Friday was enjoyable run mutes following the canal the whole way to and from work fairly uneventful just about getting it done as I was stuck for time and only way to get my runs in was to avoid traffic commute

Saturday was a write off. it was my own fault as a busy day and eating crap just to keep me ticking over, caught up on me by the time I actually got out on my run and I was struggling to break 8.30, wasn't improving at all as the run went on so pulled the plug not ideal but I was flogging a dead horse as there was just nothing there.

Sunday was a strange one, felt controlled but couldn't pick up up either just kinda one paced. I think at the moment I am just not getting enough sleep so even though the sessions are controlled I am just missing that extra gear, bit of a stint of box ticking moreso than anything stellar at the moment

Weekly Mileage Progression
    Week 1|28.3 miles||Week 5| 72.9 miles|Week 9||68 miles
    Week 2| 47.6 miles||Week 6| 59.8 miles|Week 10||70.1 miles
    Week 3| 75.4 miles||Week 7| 56.5 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles||Week 8 |19.1 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday Marathon style hybrid session
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday Easy
    Friday Long run
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Progression run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I see you did that 7x1mile late enough Sunday. Do you have any issues switching off trying to sleep afterwards? I find if I do a late one I struggle to get to sleep afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I see you did that 7x1mile late enough Sunday. Do you have any issues switching off trying to sleep afterwards? I find if I do a late one I struggle to get to sleep afterwards

Same, takes me 90 minutes or so to get asleep.

Getting to sleep is no issue (I am blessed with the ability to fall asleep every opportunity I get - much to the annoyance of the OH)

I work every second weekend so my weekends off I tend to try and avoid interfering with family and get out late (I do mornings with the little lad to allow her to lie in a bit)

The last while he has just been waking a little earlier with the heat

It's not optimal but it's how it fits into life overall. With things cooling down a bit should be back to normal this week hopefully.

Mon AM 9 easy (7.33 min/m) incl 11x20 sec strides PM 3.8 easy (8.07 min/m)

Tues 3 mile MP, 1 mile easy, 3x1 mile w/ 3 min rec (HM working down to 10k), 4 min rec ,3 mile MP

Splits: (6.27, 6.20, 6.24) - 7.25 - 5.58, 5.50, 5.38, (6.22, 6.17, 6.19)

Wed OFF

Thurs AM 4.5 easy (8.05 min/m) PM 7 easy (7.45 min/m)

Fri OFF
    Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

Good start to the week with first proper marathon session. Won't lie I was apprehensive about this one as it looked a bit daunting on paper but once I got going actually went fine. Marathon effort wasn't too bad and a generous recovery after the first tempo section, then it was into the 1 mile reps, and legs had opened up nicely as the session went on getting down to 10k for the last one which felt fast on the legs but aerobically was fine. a bit of fatigue built into the legs for the last part but the touch on faster paces had the legs feeling comfortable at Marathon effort pace (plan was slightly faster than 1st 3 mile)

Wednesday I was off work however running was out the first half of the day so planned to get out after the little lad went to bed and had dinner, only problem was that he only stayed down for about an hour before decided he was having none of the cot this evening so had to take the hit on this one.

Getting his last vaccines thursday meant that only way I was getting out in the morning was with buggy, done a bit of research on the pram we have and few people has used it for running but its heavy duty so wouldn't recommend it, kept to flat and just tipped around, he got a nap and I got the run, everyone a winner. was sweating bullets so thought between the buggy and the heat didn't think too much of it.

Friday and struggled in the morning, a good few nights bad sleep the last while had just had me struggling to get going so got lazy before work however as the day went on I realized that motivation wasn't the issue. down with a dose and judging from the symptoms definitely run down. Been getting progressively worse as the days went on so despite best intentions last three days were a write off.

Been threading a very fine line the last while with herself and the little lad nearly being constantly sick for the past number of weeks and had been holding it together but I think a few lapses in discipline regarding the nutrition and getting sleep when I could have (opting for an hour of Netflix after work rather than straight to bed) just sent me over the edge.

Hoping to see signs of improvement tomorrow as I really am running out of time to be honest with too many slip ups in this build up.

Week 3| 75.4 miles||Week 7| 56.5 miles|Week 11||37.5 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles||Week 8 |19.1 miles

Plan for upcoming week
    Monday Easy
    Tuesday 1k reps
    Wednesday Easy
    Thursday Marathon Spec Session (2k/1k)
    Friday easy
    Saturday Easy
    Sunday Threshold session

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Tough to see you struggling to get the runs in. To be fair to you at least you're not trying to chase those lost days/miles. Any thoughts on the target changing or do you think you've reached that critical point yet?

Mon - Sunday - Zilch, Nada, bubkis

The sickness turned for the worst and ended up with an acute chest infection. To put into context how out of the norm this is when went looking for my previous doctor I realized that he retired about 4 years ago.

Course of Anti biotics, a few days of proper R and R and finally starting to get back to myself. This build up has been no where near to ideal but just have to take it as it comes at this stage
    Tough to see you struggling to get the runs in. To be fair to you at least you're not trying to chase those lost days/miles. Any thoughts on the target changing or do you think you've reached that critical point yet?

In terms of target changing yes and no. I came into this plan trying to get fit enough to set me up to go after my target, coming into the specific phase now I am not there but the goal was mainly to be get as fit as I could to target specific, so in that regard I am where I had planned to be it is just that that point is lower than I would have liked

Having said that I still believe a PB can be achieved weirdly enough so in that regard I am not stressed just gonna give it my best bash and see how it goes. No matter what a marathon block is going to stand to me in the long run so not too worried about the end result as long as they process stands to me

Week 3| 75.4 miles||Week 7| 56.5 miles|Week 11||37.5 miles
    Week 4|76.2 miles||Week 8 |19.1 miles|Week 12||0 miles

Skulking back in with my tail between my legs

Last 8 weeks have been an absolute disaster. Came back from illness (10 days off) and being the sensible numpty that I am jumped straight back into training tweaked the calf doing a session of K's on the Tuesday and after 2 failed attempts at a session Thurs/Fri I backed off amd took a few days off.

Unfortunately rather than just accept it I put myself under pressure I knew time was running out for Dublin yet kept putting myself under pressure. This wasn't helped by a few things happening at home so in the end I just competely **** down. The next 8 weeks I did a handful of runs (most not wearing watch or and form of monitoring or structure) I simply was getting out to blow off steam where I could (which was not as much as I like)

Finally managed to come out of the spiral and start building things back

I have decided for the forseeable I am running for time and not taking a look at pace etc just getting back consistently running

3 days in a row followed by 4 days in a row last week I am now in a place where I am happy to get back running consistently

Still plan on getting around Dublin so the next 2 weeks will just be tipping along and get back to normality following that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

"Still plan on getting around Dublin so the next 2 weeks..."

Anything resembling a target yet?

healy1835 wrote: »
    "Still plan on getting around Dublin so the next 2 weeks..."

Anything resembling a target yet?

Ha not at all

This was the last time I went beyond 10 miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2576994939

Realistically I just need to be smart and conservative or I won't even get around the distance.

Hoping the atmosphere gives me a bit of a boost for training going forward nothing more

If you were coaching someone who had a similar story to you over the past six months. What advice would you give them if they wanted to run 42.2km even at a easy pace?

If you were coaching someone who had a similar story to you over the past six months. What advice would you give them if they wanted to run 42.2km even at a easy pace?

From a physiological standpoint it's probably not the smartest move however in my perspective its a calculated decision that the mental benefits will out weight physical in long term.

99% of my running the last 18 months has been alone, many of which were early morning or very late night. I have only raced twice this year so I think it will just dial me back in with the sport a bit as the grá has been waivering a bit at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

What does ‘getting around’ mean in KSU terms? ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    What does ‘getting around’ mean in KSU terms? ;)

Good question. Will see who I meet along the way but I imagine 3.10-3.20 probably the ball park however I actually won't look at the watch just focus on keeping relaxed for as long as I can to make sure I am able to complete. If I feel good I will wind it up but I suspect that would be a miracle. The main thing I want is to finish feeling strong and not out on my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

KSU wrote: »
    Good question. Will see who I meet along the way but I imagine 3.10-3.20 probably the ball park however I actually won't look at the watch just focus on keeping relaxed for as long as I can to make sure I am able to complete. If I feel good I will wind it up but I suspect that would be a miracle. The main thing I want is to finish feeling strong and not out on my feet.

Through half-way in 92, then bring it home!

Sacksian wrote: »
    Through half-way in 92, then bring it home!

Be lucky to make it to half way in a 92 half at the moment :(

What are your previous marathon times? If you do mind me asking.

What are your previous marathon times? If you do mind me asking.

2.43.03 from 2016 and 1.14.48 Half last year (good block of miles between the two to highlight improved fitness between efforts)

A number of sub 3 pacing gigs as well as that but its the only official marathon time I have

Mon 48 min easy incl strides (7.45 min/m)

Tues AM 50 min easy (7.47 min/m) PM 50 min easy (7.30 min/m)

Wed w/u, 30 min fartlek (10x1 on / 2 off), c/d

Thurs 35 min easy (7.39 min/m)

Friday w/u, Tempo Fartlek (3x5 min tempo/5 min easy), c/d

Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

Weekly mileage: 36 miles

Nothing too dramatic this week but its a 5 day week so progress. Currently running my runs off time rather than distance and pace and just building back slowly. Trying to do things right (sans DCM of course)

2 sessions were solid pace better than expected and recoveries were substantial enough.

Mover to a 6 day week next week and hopefully then will have built back up to normal training and get the ball rolling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All the best Sunday L, run well man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well boss I know it's not where you wanted to be but get out there and enjoy it! Run well ;-)

Advertisement