Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once more unto the breach - A Marathon Mission

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

A disclaimer before I start. If you are looking for a triumph against all odds style report, this is not it!

Pre Race
    This last few months training had been non existent I had no notions going into this one my goal was simply to race to the best of my ability with the current fitness I was in and use it as a launching pad into next year.

The start of the day set the tone. The little lad has slept through the night consistently for the past 2 months or so;

3 am I hear an eardrum splitting cry through the baby monitor.

so-it-begins-when-i-hear-the-first-knock-on-37352328.png

Little lad had been a bit off with his food on the Saturday but tummy bug reared it's head in full swing and there was nothing gonna appease him. eventually after a couple of hours he nodded back off and slowly put him in beside mammy to hopefully settle (didn't last long) Thankfully I had no expectations today so lack of sleep didn't phase me.

Drove in and parked up by RDS and walked in from there. Caught a few familiar faces most of which with similar tales of woe regarding there training this year.

Race

Lined up way back past the 3.10 pacers with the view of slowly working up to them and see how I felt and who do I end up beside, Krusty Clown (the costumed character/boards user).

First mile or two and held up with congestion but was happy to take it handy. The plan was to work my way up to 3.10 pacers see how I felt and work from there. Taking it nice handy staying very relaxed and trying to conserve energy as best possible. Came by Dublinrunner feeling good after 3 miles and I was cruising along and ended up catching up with KC again (I knew it was gonna be a better day for the clown than myself despite him probably wilting underneath the hood)

Into the park and dawned on me that I had average pace on the watch and forgot to turn on autolapping however I knew that I was averaging just under 7 min miling without it feeling too bad (was keeping an eye on the HR just to be sure) Came across Fletch (a lad I coach) so I knew I was in around the 3.05 pace range here and decided to work with him and another 2 lads from the club. Kinda tuned out on the pace and just trying to keep breathing relaxed and the body loose. I knew I was gonna have to eek out every last bit of energy given my fitness so wasn't letting any go to waste.

Coming out of the park and feeling good. Made the decision to break the race into 2x10 mile and then go for it in the end so come 10 miles (average pace 6.51) I parted ways with the the lads from the club and pushed on. I figured I should bridge ground to the sub 3 balloon and hopefully slot in and go again. In hindsight this was probably a mistake as even though I didn't feel too bad the HR crept into the 170s and I knew this was too hard to sustain. Came through the half way 1.29.18

Despite cruising along there was no catching the 3hr guys. Came across Duanington who was having a rough day at about 15 miles and he asked me how I was and for the first time I admitted it to myself I was on the edge not blown a gasket yet but was playing with fire.
    Managed a few more miles cruising along and at 18 miles I was done. Met another lad from the club who tried to get going but he was in a world of hurt and despite getting going again he was only going one way.

Pace started dropping despite the downhill and coming around by Clonskeagh the pulsating warning signs of cramp. After working through the field well I was now seeing waves of people start to pass me,some I knew, some realising I was done and offering condolences. Miles 22-25 said it all - 8.01, 8.08, 8.25, 8.52 (stopped momentarily)

Limped along trying to ward off full on cramp and then DR came by with the 3.10 crowd and managed to muster up a little.last mile and I was 8.29. Those last few hundred metres I knew I would make it so threw caution and made my best effort at a sprint finish to close the gap. I knew I started a good bit back from the 3.10 guys so I knew that if I got close I would be well under the mark

Crossed the line in 3.09.46 (Chip time 3.09.05)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2820923658

Aftermath

Am I happy? despite a very brief "Gonna stick to shorter distances to hell with this marathon lark" I am happy. There was something about properly racing it even if I wasn't in shape that felt liberating moreso than just doing a pacing job. I certainly hurt as bad as I would have if I was fit and racing and learn the same lessons. probably should have stayed with the guys after 10 miles but I think no matter what the blow up was inevitable as the cramping was down to leg conditioning moreso than fitness as aerobically I held up better than expected.

The one thing that it did stoke in me is a memory of never wanting to feel this unfit for that long in a race ever again which is something i will carry into 2020 and get myself back to where I wanna be and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Just to pluck a positive which lot of people on here probably wouldn't realise but you had a very good day on the coaching front in particular one guy who we could almost start calling sub elite ;)

Just to pluck a positive which lot of people on here probably wouldn't realise but you had a very good day on the coaching front in particular one guy who we could almost start calling sub elite ;)

Definitely a good day in that regard with small number of athletes competing

For two of the lads it represented the second year they were with me with back to back sizeable improvements (3.28-3.16-3.03 and 3.05-2.47-2.39)

Also a first as a coach to have someone push past my own PBs which I was delighted with

Throw on top of that a big PB with someone blowing past the 4hr mark by some margins (3.35)

Also had an athlete a bit further afield going above and beyond to help someone else’s efforts a testament to there character

The coaching took a hit somewhat like everything else a few months back with my reliability not being great so was delighted to see they lads rewarded for persevering. To those who I did let down I do apologise and hopefully finally draw a line under all that and move forward again.

KSU wrote:
    The coaching took a hit somewhat like everything else a few months back with my reliability not being great so was delighted to see they lads rewarded for persevering. To those who I did let down I do apologise and hopefully finally draw a line under all that and move forward again.

I think you need to operate a lottery system for who you will coach. Shake it up a bit.

Didn't let anyone down man. I couldn't (and selfishly wouldn't) do what you do. Stretched isn't the word for it. Plus don't underestimate the learning people get from flying solo for a while. I've definitely learned a lot in the past 6 months rather than just taking something on paper and executing it without thinking too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I think you need to operate a lottery system for who you will coach. Shake it up a bit.

Didn't let anyone down man. I couldn't (and selfishly wouldn't) do what you do. Stretched isn't the word for it. Plus don't underestimate the learning people get from flying solo for a while. I've definitely learned a lot in the past 6 months rather than just taking something on paper and executing it without thinking too much.

Yip, second that. Only from what I learned from L I wouldn’t be running the times I am now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    Yip, second that. Only from what I learned from L I wouldn’t be running the times I am now.

I'll third that! Unfortunately injury has prevented me making the most of it but in the words of a former actor and bodybuilder, now politician.....I'll be back!

Sometimes I don't think L knows how much he is teaching...it goes way beyond what's contained in the weekly email.

L, you had a tough year but definitely no need for apologies. Well done on toughing out DCM and best of luck for the training going forward. You sound nicely motivated. :)

To be fair there was a good few delays in responses (and probably a few mails that I still need to get back to at this stage. I do get a number of people learned alot and that is the aim for the most part to have people learn enough to have the confidence and knowledge to make decisions themselves

I will have to start offering GFA coaching by the looks of it :D
    OOnegative wrote: »
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll third that! Unfortunately injury has prevented me making the most of it but in the words of a former actor and bodybuilder, now politician.....I'll be back!

Sometimes I don't think L knows how much he is teaching...it goes way beyond what's contained in the weekly email.

L, you had a tough year but definitely no need for apologies. Well done on toughing out DCM and best of luck for the training going forward. You sound nicely motivated. :)

Definitely motivated so hopefully can keep it going and put this year behind me

Monday OFF
    Tuesday 30 min easy (3.5 @ 8.25 pace)
    Wednesday 40 min easy (4.6 @ 8.36 pace)
    Thursday OFF
    Friday OFF
    Sat OFF
    Sun OFF

Full of enthusiasm after DCM wanted to get straight back into it however by Thursday became apparent that that body wasn't back to itself just yet as I felt a few niggles etc so decided to take the few extra days and start back this week.

No definitive plans in short term regarding target as to be honest I think might be better to wait a few weeks and just get fit enough before start planning that rather than get carried away with myself

Plan for this week:

- Couple of run mutes early week
    - Light Fartlek (40 min)
    - 1 S and C session
    - 1 x Strides
    - 1 light tempo workout
    - 1 90 min run

Target run time: 8-10 hours

Running off time and HR on watch for all easy days for the forseeable trying to get HR in around 150 max (first while may creep a little higher no matter what pace just due to cardiac drift from lack of fitness.

Monday

AM 1 hr easy (6.8@8.45 pace)
    PM 57 min easy w/ 4x20s strides (7 @ 8.04)

A miserable start back at it but helped by the fact I was able to skip along not stuck in miserable traffic the weather had brought. Kept this very handy with the 1st run a little slower with the backpack. HR still a little high but this is down to lack of fitness and I reckon I couldn't have kept it down no matter what pace I ran. We start in earnest but good to get it done and back out at it. To and from the créche to pick up the little lad to meaning that bonus points were earned as herself was off the hook for a collection on a miserable night

Happy to see your insight on the heart rate as I had been asking myself the same question a few weeks ago. 9 min mile felt just as "hard" as 8 min miles in terms of HR

• Advertisement

Happy to see your insight on the heart rate as I had been asking myself the same question a few weeks ago. 9 min mile felt just as "hard" as 8 min miles in terms of HR

Generally I find as long as it isn't continually climbing as run progresses I am not overcooking it. Also m my HR tends to be a little higher in the morning's at the best of times (think this might be down to dehydration as deviated septum from a few years back has me a bit of a mouth breather in my sleep :P

Tuesday

AM 50 min easy (6 @ 8.13 pace)
    PM 49 min easy w/ 4 min surge (5.9 @ 7.37 w/ 1k @ 6.35 pace)

More of the same for this one nothing too exciting. Got held up in a meeting so I was in a rush to get back across to pick up lil lad from créche before they closed. Despite the pace being a bit hotter than yesterday the effort was relatively the same. Hard to tell why that was but could just be a severe withdrawal of my usual caffeine intake due to being so busy and stuck in meetings :P

A bit of a surge just to keep most days with a bit of stuff involved and help build back the foundation.

KSU wrote: »
    Tuesday

AM 50 min easy (6 @ 8.13 pace)
    PM 49 min easy w/ 4 min surge (5.9 @ 7.37 w/ 1k @ 6.35 pace)

More of the same for this one nothing too exciting. Got held up in a meeting so I was in a rush to get back across to pick up lil lad from créche before they closed. Despite the pace being a bit hotter than yesterday the effort was relatively the same. Hard to tell why that was but could just be a severe withdrawal of my usual caffeine intake due to being so busy and stuck in meetings :P

A bit of a surge just to keep most days with a bit of stuff involved and help build back the foundation.

With someone just coming back into it would you recommend mostly easy miles or would you start introducing stuff sooner? Asking for a friend ;)

With someone just coming back into it would you recommend mostly easy miles or would you start introducing stuff sooner? Asking for a friend ;)

I would generally put stuff into base building

- Strides
    - pick ups (something like 1 min hard every 10 min ran)
    - 4-5 min HM/MP at end of the run

The aim of these is to have nothing which is taxing so as much recovery needed but to prepare the body so doesn't get a shock when you do start introducing sessions etc

I would tend to add stuff anything up to 4-5 times a week to be honest as it is not something that you should need to recover from.

Have a look at the boards Graduate Plans I put up before (should be floating around here somewhere)

The base phase here includes this sort of stuff (it's the reason i stressed the importance of this before starting into the specific plans)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

- Strides

The aim of these is to have nothing which is taxing so as much recovery needed but to prepare the body so doesn't get a shock when you do start introducing sessions etc

I would tend to add stuff anything up to 4-5 times a week to be honest as it is not something that you should need to recover from.

Have a look at the boards Graduate Plans I put up before (should be floating around here somewhere)

The base phase here includes this sort of stuff (it's the reason i stressed the importance of this before starting into the specific plans)

Here they are https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LOkLQ_a9NHWe97yaRkfF6ArFmCHmtf9y1tU0LR7uMr8

- Strides

Does the same apply to someone who was injured and is not completely out of the woods yet ie still some tightness but a pretty clear plan for fixing it and regular physio? In other words would you wait until you were 100% before introducing "stuff".

Does the same apply to someone who was injured and is not completely out of the woods yet ie still some tightness but a pretty clear plan for fixing it and regular physio? In other words would you wait until you were 100% before introducing "stuff".

Would depend on the injury but as long as it's not an overuse that would be aggravated by such work (quad/hip flexor issues and hills or strides w/ calves where you are up on the balls of your feet) fine to do.

Wednesday

Fartlek - 2 x (4,3,2,1 min w/2 min float) 5 min between sets

Splits:
    6.29, 6.14, 6.01, 5.24
    6.28, 6.12, 6.03, 5.40

Nothing too taxing with this session the aim was just a bit of high end effort with ample recovery. Not looking to be having to dig in just getting the legs turning over. Started off around HM effort and working down from there. Felt good throughout. The mentality of "I am building back up not trying to break down and recover from that" Came away feeling energised so mission accomplished.

Thursday
    30 min easy (3.6 @ 8.18 pace)

Nothing special with this one but wanted to make sure I was approaching this right

A) getting consistency back meaning every day
    B) Not going gun ho too early

I am in no hurry to get fit I just wanna get back to a stage where it is as natural as breathing and back into my everyday routine. Miserable weather and procrastination had me not looking forward to this so just got out and got something done. Pace was quicker than I expected as was very much a going through the motions run

I find it really interesting that you're delving straight back into the sessions albeit light ones. Given your time out I half expected a bunch of easy miles to start with. Makes me rethink my own approach of comfortably getting back to easy miles 50+ miles a week before introducing any speed stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I find it really interesting that you're delving straight back into the sessions albeit light ones. Given your time out I half expected a bunch of easy miles to start with. Makes me rethink my own approach of comfortably getting back to easy miles 50+ miles a week before introducing any speed stuff.
    Without fully knowing your injury and what you have been doing lately... After 4-6 weeks of easy runs I'd look to add strides once a week then twice a week. If you feel good start adding some steady & light broken tempo stuff once a week and see how the body reacts while keeping the strides up. And just keep consistently slowly building.

• Advertisement

Without fully knowing your injury and what you have been doing lately... After 4-6 weeks of easy runs I'd look to add strides once a week then twice a week. If you feel good start adding some steady & light broken tempo stuff once a week and see how the body reacts while keeping the strides up. And just keep consistently slowly building.

For me base phase is designed to prepare your body for training ahead but this is multifaceted

You need to have the aerobic base to handle mileage
    You need to have the biomechanical strength to handle the pounding
    You need to prep your central nervous system for demands of higher intensity
    You need to keep in touch with different muscle fibre recruitment

With that in mind the base phase should mimic training with one key difference. You are doing everything in a controlled manner where fatigue does not alter the specific outcomes.

Think of something like a kicker in rugby/American Football. At a younger level they might practice 1000's of times kicking over the bar and be proficient at that but the true greats improve through having to kick under time pressure with opposition barreling down on them it creates a very different demand.

Similarly if we focus on the likes of drills and form in isolation we can then build on that performing the same actions in the 3/4 of a race which is very different than say a 5 min surge at the end of a 45 min easy run.

For me alot of easy miles on their own only build one small element of what makes us a runner this is why I would be a fan of strides, max sprints, short hill sprints, pickups anything which forces to body to adapt to a sudden change without undue stress (this is the key you should never really be out of 2nd gear aerobically for any of this which is why can be added for as much as 4-5 days a week without compromising recovery etc.

Fri-Mon
    Nada

An early slip up. Sadly this is where I am at regards the discipline at the moment. It is certainly a working process but one which I am working towards improving. This log will be far from perfect in particular in the early stages of getting back to where I wanna be but I need to keep working to get it back into my every day life without letting any slight hiccup derail me.

Tuesday
    40 min easy (5 miles @ 8.00 pace)

Wednesday
    Fartlek - 8 x 1 min on/off w/ 5 min threshold

An absolutely miserable day, lashing down, freezing, most paths flooded and yet despite this I loved it. It's these sort of days that will hopefully get me over my chronic laziness/procrastination and hopefully restore me to some form of consistency.

Paces were a little all over the place with the 1 min sessions but got into a very handy rhythm for the threshold and ended up being a little. quicker than I thought it would be for the effort and conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

For me base phase is designed to prepare your body for training ahead but this is multifaceted

You need to have the aerobic base to handle mileage
    You need to have the biomechanical strength to handle the pounding
    You need to prep your central nervous system for demands of higher intensity
    You need to keep in touch with different muscle fibre recruitment

With that in mind the base phase should mimic training with one key difference. You are doing everything in a controlled manner where fatigue does not alter the specific outcomes.

Think of something like a kicker in rugby/American Football. At a younger level they might practice 1000's of times kicking over the bar and be proficient at that but the true greats improve through having to kick under time pressure with opposition barreling down on them it creates a very different demand.

Similarly if we focus on the likes of drills and form in isolation we can then build on that performing the same actions in the 3/4 of a race which is very different than say a 5 min surge at the end of a 45 min easy run.

For me alot of easy miles on their own only build one small element of what makes us a runner this is why I would be a fan of strides, max sprints, short hill sprints, pickups anything which forces to body to adapt to a sudden change without undue stress (this is the key you should never really be out of 2nd gear aerobically for any of this which is why can be added for as much as 4-5 days a week without compromising recovery etc.

So would you suggest adding strides, pickups etc to easy days during a marathon block as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I can say 100% adding strides (4-6x 20 seconds) twice a week to the end of my easy runs. Also twice a week before any session has been one of the biggest factors in my massive PBs this year. So that's 4 sets of strides a week. Over time in I increased the speed of the strides at the end of my easy runs to sprints and hill sprints. I find doing strides the day before a session makes me shaper for the session. So a typical week now looks like
    Mon off or easy
    Tues easy +strides/sprints
    Wed strides + speed
    Thurs easy
    Fri easy + hills
    Sat strides + tempo
    Sun long
    Also before any session 15mins jog, 15 mins activations + drills, strides, then the work begins. Its just a matter of consistency and getting in the habit of doing them. Sorry for hijacking your log KSU

Sorry for hijacking your log KSU

Happy for the interaction (it can get pretty lonely in here :p:p)
    healy1835 wrote: »
    So would you suggest adding strides, pickups etc to easy days during a marathon block as well?

Strides and hill sprints I think should be in people's training year round. I know Magness is a firm believer in this as well. There are so many benefits to it even for marathoners.

With the pickups once tempo's come into play probably no need however sometimes putting them in long run can be good in later stages just as a form check exercise. We can tend to plod a bit as we fatigue so can be a way of snapping us out of it.

So something like this in a long run;

16 miles easy w/ 1 min hard at the start of every mile after 10/11 nothing that is gonna be overly taxing (hard being even 5k/10k effort)

Thurs-Sat
    Nada

The cycle of 1 step forward 2 steps back continued however it is going in the right direction albeit a little slower than I would like. The urge to be lazy is slowly fading and getting back into a feeling where I am not dreading the thought's of every run and trying to "fit" them in

Sunday
    80 min easy (10 miles @ 7.51 pace)

A catch up with one of the lads a coach and bit of a debrief after Dublin and planning for going forward. Delighted at the opportunity to have a bit of company for a run it made a nice change. Effort was handy but probably down to be fresh as much as anything

Monday
    30 min easy (4 miles @ 7.37 pace)

Thought the HR was broke with being high but was obviously something in the system. Took the evening off and got a bit of rest as precaution

Tues

AM 50 min easy (6.3 miles @ 8.01 pace)
    PM Fartlek - 2x(4,3,2,1 w/2min) 5 between sets

Was expecting a bit of fatigue from the morning runmute but overall felt controlled and decent bit of work. Nothing too strenuous but just enough for a bit of light stimulus to keep me going on the right direction

Wednesday
    AM 70 min easy (8.5 miles @ 8.06 pace)

Another handy runmute just to keeping trying to drill in routine. This week is all about focusing on just getting out every day. It's something that I have failed to do for so long so I am not worried about trying to get right structure yet just focus on getting any structure.

Advertisement