Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health & Safety Leave

Options
  • 30-05-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Evening!
    Currently 27 weeks pregnant. I have pelvic girdle pain and the constant repetitive up and down to the printer makes it worse. I do a lot of printing in my job and have tried limiting the up and down. It results in me being out for a day or two to recover.
    I suggested moving one of three printers onto my desk so as to do away with most of the repetitiveness. Initially it was a good idea, then health and safety got involved and refused flat out. Health and safety of all.
    They haven’t tried to adjust my work environment. I told them the doctor and physio have cleared me to work if the necessary adjustment was made and I would even bring in my own printer (which is annoying)
    Can they put me straight on Health and Safety leave without making adjustments first?
    It’s hard to get around H&S it’s their way or the highway.
    Currently out on leave this week due to a nasty kidney infection. But dreading going back in on Tuesday and being told I’m on leave. I will go totally insane for 11 weeks (which would have been my official finish up date)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don’t beleive there is a compulsion to change your work environment.

If they do an assessment and deem its unsuitable, and no alternative is available you can be placed in H&S leave for your protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Clashmore

Health and Safety Leave also means a big drop in pay as employer is only obliged to pay you for 3 weeks, then you can apply for H and S Benefit which works out the same as the dole.
    Bearing this in mind is there any way to come to a compromise or a suitable arrangement for work with your employer

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

_Brian wrote: »
    I don’t beleive there is a compulsion to change your work environment.

If they do an assessment and deem its unsuitable, and no alternative is available you can be placed in H&S leave for your protection.

There is a compulsion to change it if its possible and reasonable to do so. For example you can't send someone off on H&S leave if all they needed was a chair and it was easy to give them a chair, you just didn't want to. H&S leave is for when reasonable adjustments are not possible.

Getting up and down to a printer does not sound like an impossible task to overcome with a little common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Augme

Advertisement