Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card skimmed?

• 30-05-2019 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hello, so this evening I got a message from BOI to confirm a payment of nearly 500 euro to PayPal luckily enough this made me check my account and I realised someone had my card details. More transactions came through as I was getting in contact with the bank and I ended up cancelling my card there and then. Fraud investigation should be in contact with me tomorrow.

What will happen to the money that was spent from my card? It's the first time this has happened to me so I'm not too sure about this stuff.

Also I know where I last withdrew money, surely this was where it was skimmed? All the payments that went out were done online and not physically in a shop, this means they don't have my card pin right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This happened to me maybe 18 months ago.

They refunded the money inside about 24hrs I think.
    It was iTunes that took mine.

Roughly same amount as you.

Tbf to BoI, they messaged me in the middle of the night when they spotted it, they were really on the ball. I was on night shift and even got a call from a guy in their fraud dept within the hour.

Edit: it might not necessarily the last place you used it that skimmed you, maybe someone had it and held it for a few days to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭E46Dream

Yeah can't thank BOI enough for sending me the message to confirm the payment otherwise I wouldn't have known.

The person who had it has ordered stuff online like clothes etc, surely he'll be traceable by giving delivery addresses?

You'd think so, but I wonder do BoI actually follow up on this and find out who ordered the clothes?

NIMAN wrote: »
    You'd think so, but I wonder do BoI actually follow up on this and find out who ordered the clothes?

Not sure but I'd assume it could be easily done if they actually wanted to crack down on fraudsters. It's one of these things you think could never happen to you but it just did.

I just got home from work and found out someone is having a good time on my card...

E46Dream wrote: »
    Not sure but I'd assume it could be easily done if they actually wanted to crack down on fraudsters. It's one of these things you think could never happen to you but it just did.

I just got home from work and found out someone is having a good time on my card...

Yeah it is worrying.

As a result of mine, I set up a 2nd account online which isn't tied to any card, as I had too much money sitting in my main current account, which was used to the card I used for online purchases.

Now I keep only a few hundred at any time in this main account, so if I am defrauded again, they are limited in what they can get.

• Advertisement

Yeah it is worrying.

As a result of mine, I set up a 2nd account online which isn't tied to any card, as I had too much money sitting in my main current account, which was used to the card I used for online purchases.

Now I keep only a few hundred at any time in this main account, so if I am defrauded again, they are limited in what they can get.

That's a good idea I may go about setting up the same. I haven't had many online transactions with my card in the past 2 weeks. What's the chances it was actually an atm skimmer? I last used an atm last Sunday, that was my last transaction.

Sorry, can't help you, I would have no idea how they got it.

Since my fraud, I have also moved nearly all my online transactions to my credit card, and just pay it off at the end of the month.

Credit cards are always touted as something that you can claim easier on in cases of fraud?

Sorry, can't help you, I would have no idea how they got it.

Since my fraud, I have also moved nearly all my online transactions to my credit card, and just pay it off at the end of the month.

Credit cards are always touted as something that you can claim easier on in cases of fraud?

Yeah that's a better way to do it I suppose. What will happen to my direct debits, car insurance etc? Now that I have a new card coming will I have to update them etc?

I think you'll be grand with DDs, etc. The new card is linked to your account.

I think you'll be grand with DDs, etc. The new card is linked to your account.

Ah right well that's good then, saves a lot of hassle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement