Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel insurance and a pre existing condition

• 30-05-2019 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Ok so say you are buying family travel insurance for a single trip in Europe, and one member has a long term condition. Every year you declare this condition and pay a large extra premium.

But what if that condition has been completely under control for many years and never causes any issues? I understand that if it wasn't declared then anything related to that condition would not be covered, but my question really is is that person covered for an accident or illness not connected to that condition?
    Say if someone didn't declare diabetes for example but fell on steps and broke a leg, would they be covered for the broken leg or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Well, if you buy regular travel insurance then the person in question would still be covered for all circumstances. It's only if the exceptional circumstance leading to a claim is as a result of their pre-existing condition that the claim wouldn't be paid. So if the pre-existing condition is under control and of no prospect of causing issues while away then I wouldn't worry about it (unless the trip is to USA where medical costs are crazy). However, VHI travel insurance covers pre-existing condition, all you need is a letter from the doctor confirming the person is fit to travel beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AngryLips wrote: »
    It's only if the exceptional circumstance leading to a claim is as a result of their pre-existing condition that the claim wouldn't be paid.

I don't think that is the case. I've seen any number of cases reported in the press where an insurance company denied a claim when they discovered a pre-existing condition, even if it couldn't have been the cause of the incident which gave rise to the claim.

An inurance company can void a policy if the insured person did not make a full disclosure. That's their exit hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't think that is the case. I've seen any number of cases reported in the press where an insurance company denied a claim when they discovered a pre-existing condition, even if it couldn't have been the cause of the incident which gave rise to the claim.

This is the concerning part. I'm concerned that even if the claim was clearly nothing at all to do with the condition they would not pay out. It's probably in the many many pages of small print.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't think that is the case. I've seen any number of cases reported in the press where an insurance company denied a claim when they discovered a pre-existing condition, even if it couldn't have been the cause of the claim.

That would be a breach of the regulations in place for consumer insurance products in Ireland, you can query it with prospective insurance companies yourself to confirm that.

Advertisement