Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation for Corvids

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Whenever I start thinking Corvids are grand I see something like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaMa1WHZOUs

Yes, grey crows and magpies create big problems for farmers. I was out hunting one morning, (good few years ago now), and came across a ewe that had rolled on her back. Well the crows had got at her, and both eye's were eaten out of her head. Not nice to see a live ewe suffering like that. If it were a wild animal I would have put to sleep, but as it was someone's property, I had to leave it. I did go and inform the farmer, but took me two hours to get to his house. This sortof thing goes on all the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's why the anti agenda is so dangerous. They don't see this, and i don't mean they don't physically see it, i mean they don't think of it and if shown it they refuse to believe it warrants action.

Chris packham thinks his ban in the UK is a victory but within days the interweb was flooded with similar videos of lambs and full grown sheep in the same predicament(s).

Same as the terrorists that released mink in the west, and only recently thousands of Partridge in the UK. They have no knowledge of how things work and the harm they cause with these terrorist acts.

Crows, Magpies, etc. have no natural predators and without human intervention, in terms of population control, this scenario will only get worse. Our only hope to avoid this, because the shooting community is useless when it comes to uniting on such things, is for the farmers and IFA to intervene and kill any attempt for similar bans to even be dreamed of this side of the pond.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Crows are really interesting and intelligent birds, I love watching them myself, but I think too many people romanticise wildlife and have this vision of all the animals living together in harmony like a Disney film. Most of the crowd against farmers controlling them have good intentions but they're looking at it from a very skewed perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

on the way home not more than an hour ago ,i sp[otted a jay with a chick in its mouth ,these birds are usually aloof around here but this one was staying in the open with the chick in its mouth ,i took it he meant to go back and harvest the rest of the babys in the nest too,nature is a savage master at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

Eddie B wrote: »
    Yes, grey crows and magpies create big problems for farmers. I was out hunting one morning, (good few years ago now), and came across a ewe that had rolled on her back. Well the crows had got at her, and both eye's were eaten out of her head. Not nice to see a live ewe suffering like that. If it were a wild animal I would have put to sleep, but as it was someone's property, I had to leave it. I did go and inform the farmer, but took me two hours to get to his house. This sortof thing goes on all the time.

Seen the same thing with a cow with, what i think was called blackwater, anyway the poor beast was down never to rise again, and its eyes gone. I always wallop crows and magpies no matter what time of the year and fuk the eu and its seasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement