Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

edge 1030 notifications not happening

Options
  • 30-05-2019 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭

I am on my second edge1030 (picked up a warranty replacement today).
    On Android.
    I wasnt getting any notifications ie whatsapp, messenger, sms ,calls etc even though the phone is connected and linked etc nothing is coming through.
    I can load up rides via Garmin Connect.
    In Garmin Connect 'Android Notifications is on.
    Everything that seems to be needed to be switched on in Garmin Connect is stitched on.
    I suspect its a setting in apps or something.
    Anyone shed any light please!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't get them either. The Bluetooth connection is hit and miss on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Yeah BT comes and goes. THough I find if the phine is in a phone holder/case the connection is unstable.
    When the phone is on its own in my pocket its much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Try going into your app permissions on your phone and see if it's something there. I had a similar issue with garmin watches and once I found the floodgate then everything sluiced through unfettered.
    I'm afraid I don't have the total recall to guide you through the steps without the hardware in front of me, but that's what it was in my case anyway, and the same with my wife's garmin set up. Generally I find my garmin (520) to be very quick and reliable in connecting and uploading via bluetooth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

fat bloke wrote: »
    Try going into your app permissions on your phone and see if it's something there. I had a similar issue with garmin watches and once I found the floodgate then everything sluiced through unfettered.
    I'm afraid I don't have the total recall to guide you through the steps without the hardware in front of me, but that's what it was in my case anyway, and the same with my wife's garmin set up. Generally I find my garmin (520) to be very quick and reliable in connecting and uploading via bluetooth

As above but also check the permissions on the garmin connect app on your phone, you have to give garmin permission there too

Nope,
    All permissions on all apps I want on the phone, Head unit and in Garmin Connect
    are switched on.
    Synced everything and still nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

koutoubia wrote: »
    Nope,
    All permissions on all apps I want on the phone, Head unit and in Garmin Connect
    are switched on.
    Synced everything and still nothing.

Try a factory reset on the edge?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Same issue has been around since the 1000. Having the same issues with my 1030 as well

Try a factory reset on the edge?
    Its a brand new edge from the box on Thursday so was being set up from scratch!
    The old one was warrantied and was only bought in Jan and was having the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

In the Garmin app, settings, smart notifications - have you tried them?

Yep.
    Smart notifications.
    I 'Unchecked' the box's. Closed the app. Restarted the phone . Then re done everything all before I went on a spin yesterday.
    Nada.

• Advertisement

Sorry if this is no help ro you have checked it already, but this worked for my partners watch I know you have a 1030 but should be the same setting in this case. Specifically the first part relating to notification access. I had checked the later settings for the app itself but not the notification access bit. Once I did that it worked as expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSOOAxxceJ4

Thanks. Yeah the first part in that video was unchecked..everything else was checked. So hopefully that maybe it!

Sorry if this is no help ro you have checked it already, but this worked for my partners watch I know you have a 1030 but should be the same setting in this case. Specifically the first part relating to notification access. I had checked the later settings for the app itself but not the notification access bit. Once I did that it worked as expected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSOOAxxceJ4

BINGO.
    Just sent myself an email and it popped up on my head unit and replied.
    Nice one. I owe you a coffee!

Ha result :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Not notifications thing (though mine nearly never have shown)

however, recorded a 61 km cycle today yet it only has the first 17 tracked but in Garmin Connect it notes I've done 61 for over 2 hours but only mapped the first 17. Seemed to have a GPS blip at 17km as I'd been in the parents, but it picked it up again after 100 metres or so so I expected it to have a minor issue.

Fit Repair tool only has the 17km, but has them repeatedly in the file

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Surprise, surprise a Gamin with software glitches and more. For such a big company, with huge resources at its disposal it doesn't half shoot itself in the foot.Their customer "service" is brutal i lost patience with them.
    I switched to Wahoo years ago, the Bolt is bulletproof, simple to set up and use, via the app. Never a problem in 4 years.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Not notifications thing (though mine nearly never have shown)

however, recorded a 61 km cycle today yet it only has the first 17 tracked but in Garmin Connect it notes I've done 61 for over 2 hours but only mapped the first 17. Seemed to have a GPS blip at 17km as I'd been in the parents, but it picked it up again after 100 metres or so so I expected it to have a minor issue.

Fit Repair tool only has the 17km, but has them repeatedly in the file

DC Rainmaker has an article on this as well. His new €1500 garmin watch has gps issues which he says common through out the garmin range

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that the one you posted just above Weepsie's comment?

is that the one you posted just above Weepsie's comment?

i think so

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote:

Are you sure it's not a Strava issue. A lot of lads in my club complaining that Strava was acting the arse today.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not a Strava issue. A lot of lads in my club complaining that Strava was acting the arse today.

Might be. The fit file is missing the GPs points, but it was accurately measuring speed etc all cycle.

I've had several Garmin's without issue to be honest other than their handling of powertap pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

godtabh wrote: »
    DC Rainmaker has an article on this as well. His new €1500 garmin watch has gps issues which he says common through out the garmin range

That GPS issue on their watches is during openwater swims where your arm is under the water most of the time. Obviously not great all the same.

Today it drew a straight line from work to howth.

I think something when it shuts down of its own accord when paused is causing it. Might be able to fix this one at least as it got the correct distance

Advertisement