Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

POE Switch

• 31-05-2019 9:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

Question for those in the know.
    Can a cheap POE switch slow down your network?
    Reason i ask is i got a cheap POE switch from China and when i put my access point thru the POE switch and power it thru POE my speed test drops from 30M to about 3M, when powered locally its a solid 30M. This leads me to believe its the cheap switch but wanted to hear from others who know better than I....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Question for those in the know.
    Can a cheap POE switch slow down your network?
    Reason i ask is i got a cheap POE switch from China and when i put my access point thru the POE switch and power it thru POE my speed test drops from 30M to about 3M, when powered locally its a solid 30M. This leads me to believe its the cheap switch but wanted to hear from others who know better than I....

Thanks

Sounds like a port on that switch is running at 10mb half duplex. Could be a bad cable, could be a ****ty switch.

I wouldn't like to use cheap untested and unrated devices to pump out power down lightly insulated cables running in my walls. At worst, get a decent POE injecter and use it by the cable end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Hey Cuddlesworth,
    Thanks for the reply...
    It does kinda point to the POE switch, BUT...
    I have 2 AP's using POE from that switch, one is a Ubiquiti UniFi AP and that works over the cheap POE switch and the second AP is a Mikrotik ( https://www.senetic.ie/product/RBMAPL-2ND) The Mikrotik does not seem to work over POE, but when i power it locally and plug it straight into the router it works fine so its not a cabling issue...
    Thanks for the help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Does Ubiquiti continue to work once second AP connected.
    Or disconnect Ubiquiti and test other on its own.
    I am pointing to potentially insufficient power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

Hey Smuggler,

I did not check that, will check later, but i think you maybe right about not enough power, it seems logical, thanks for the help...

Advertisement