Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A380 or A350?

Options
  • 31-05-2019 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭

Given the choice with everything being almost equal, which would you prefer to travel on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Gael23 wrote: »
    Given the choice with everything being almost equal, which would you prefer to travel on?

A350. Newer, I haven't been on one, and it's bound to have an airier ceiling compared to the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Part of me would like to experience the A380, but everyone raves about the 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

it would depend on the Airline for me
    I have flown Emirates A380 5-6 times
    Have flown on Finnair A350 4 times

Would take the Emirates A380 over Finnair A350 without doubt
    Finnair A350 have crappy 2.5cm wide hard armrests that despite the aircraft being relatively new are loose and rattle 1cm in every direction

In a window seat on the A380 the fuselage is a good 10cm away from your shoulder and gives so much more personal space

It’s Singapore Airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

A380 as it's a more unique aircraft. I went to Australia last year, first leg on an A350, second leg on an A330 and you can hardly tell the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The A380.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The A380. Flew to Australia and back a few years ago on it.

Quietest aircraft I ever flew on and seats firm but comfortable. Haven't flown on the A350 or B787 so can't draw a comparison, but the A380 is a class above the B777, 747 or A330 imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Haven't been on either one, I'd really like to go on both of them however I'd say I'm more interested in getting an A380 than an A350 though I really want to get an A350 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

geecee wrote: »
    I have flown Emirates A380 5-6 times
    Have flown on Finnair A350 4 times

Same as myself. Would take the A380 ahead of the A350.

The A380 is a unique plane, it stands out just like the 747. The average passenger wouldn't know the difference between a 777, A330 or A350.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

I really like both having flown a few times on 380s (QF/QR) and three legs of a recent trip to Oz and back on CX A350s. Better in my view than 777s/787s. I did notice how much better I felt after two long A350 flights than I have after similar journeys on other types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

A380. 

I've never been on an A350 but I don't think any aircraft comes near the A380 in terms of space and comfort, particularly on the lower deck. The high ceiling and outward curved cabin walls make it feel like a large room rather than a flying metal tube, even in economy. On the upper deck the walls begin to curve inwards but it's still as wide as an A330 and as a more personal feel while being near completely silent due to how far away from the already very quiet engines. 

One downside to the A380 is the windows, while they are standard Airbus size, there is a huge space between the inner window and the outer window which gives it a porthole style. The A350 has larger windows with a smaller space between the inner and outer panes. The A350 window is almost as big as 787 Dreamliner, it's slightly wider but not as tall.

One option offers both of them for an extra €9 so that might be worth considering. But it comes with a very tight connection in Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I've flown on both in the last year, Cathay A350 and Qatar A380 and only because of the in-flight entertainment box's on Qatar's plane, I'd give my preference to the A350.

However for all the travelling/flying I've done to Oz and back the past year, I've come to realise that the airlines and their seat configurations are typically half the problem.

This is something that ties in with the 777 10 abreast thread but I honestly think that most of a flight experience boils down to those sitting around you, especially on long haul.

I was fortunate enough when I travelled to and from Ireland a couple of months back that for all 6 flights I was on I had nobody sitting beside me for any of them. And on the DOH- MEL leg I had all 3 seats to myself for 14hrs on QR's A380. Great! That really made me think highly of long haul travel.

However a few weeks back I flew again with QR from SYD-DUB and I had an awful experience on their A380, between the pig and his cow of a wife sitting next to me and the in-flight ent box down at my feet it was a fustrating 15.5 hrs.

It pains me though to think that in 20 years time most a380s and 747s will no longer be flying and the narrower 777x will be performing most ULH flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

A380 for me purely because I haven't travelled on one yet. I have done a 10 hour flight on a LH A350 and it was really nice. Have also done 10 hrs in the middle seat of a packed LH 747 which was miserable. Seat back TV on the 350 was full ipad size with loads of movies. Cabin felt more spacious than 330, 747 or 777.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's not a lot of difference.

I've flown quite a bit on both, mostly in Business. Emirates for the A380 and Finnair for the A350.

Comparing directly, the Emirates A380 is a lot better than their 777 and the Finnair A350 is better than their A330.

Finnair A350 is better than their A330.

Unless you get the "throne seat" on the Finnair A330!
    finnair-business-class-a330-hel-jfk-030-1024x768.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Such a perfect seat for Finnair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've been in it and it's nice but there's still the crappy screen and the outdated cabin. And very narrow legroom when the seat is fully flat.

Is that seat in Business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Flew LH A350 MUC - YVR recently. I've never been on a more comfortable flight. The A350 has a full AC unit which kept the temperature down for most of the flight (I don't believe the A380 has this).

• Advertisement

Think I’m going to go out all A350 and maybe try and do both on the way back if I can. Always wanted to experience the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A380 purely because it is an experience the first 1/2 times. Generic A350 is good but I found the 787 to be more impressive due to the size of the windows. Flown Q-Suites on the A350 a few times though and it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

If it's Singapore Airlines, and economy, an economy seat either side on the upper deck is a pretty nice experience. Nicest economy I've flown anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Fabio

Funnily enough I found Thai's 777 very comfortable [economy] even in turbulence. Upstairs at the very rear of an A380 I found to be a more bumpy but then maybe the turbulence was a little heavier outside too. Mad landing in an A380 though, from upstairs you don't feel a thing, mad!

Prices keep changing and just now the A380 option is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

Both are great but I think you should give the A380 a try as it’s very impressive. I travel on both frequently and can’t fault them. As others have said, the 787 is very similar in style and comfort to the 350 but the bigger windows add to the experience.

Enjoy ðŸ‘

The A350 will be here for the next 20+ years (barring a 737MAX type issue)
    The A380 will be a museum piece within 5 years... so I suggest you take the A380 before it becomes a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The A380 will be a museum piece within 5 years... so I suggest you take the A380 before it becomes a legend

What a crazy statement - the A380 will be flying for many years to come and the last one is not due to roll off the line for another 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

https://onemileatatime.com/emirates-a380-retirement/?utm_source=BoardingArea&utm_medium=BoardingArea

"Emirates will take delivery of their last A380 in 2021, so the timeframe of a mid-2030s retirement sounds about right. "

• Advertisement

What a crazy statement - the A380 will be flying for many years to come and the last one is not due to roll off the line for another 2 years.

Not really, as soon as the price of oil starts to rise the A380 becomes even less economical to run, which means rising costs for the likes of Emirates.
    They will only run the A380 on routes where they are guaranteed to fill every seat e.g. LHR

Advertisement