Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned cable ties

Options
  • 31-05-2019 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

After the elctions, all posters have been removed around my way

But the amount of abandoned cable ties on lampposts and ESB poles are a bit annoying. Whats the story with these parties does anyone know
    I have removed a few but really think the guys that put them up should also remove them as well

Are there cable ties left around your area 32 votes

Yes
    78% 25 votes
    No
    21% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Ring the litter warden and make a complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

And half them belonging to pr1cks boasting about if they are elected how much they will do for the environment.
    Fcukin wafflers the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

.red. wrote: »
    Ring the litter warden and make a complaint?
    He won't be able to do a thing, can't prove who they belong to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There should be no election posters around the place, end of.

For a period of 2 weeks before the election they should be a allowed put up a single poster on a temporary board / harris fence on each town centre in their electoral area. They must all share space on the single board or harris fence.

The amount of waste generated by these people is sickening.

There should be no election posters around the place, end of.

For a period of 2 weeks before the election they should be a allowed put up a single poster on a temporary board / harris fence on each town centre in their electoral area. They must all share space on the single board or harris fence.

The amount of waste generated by these people is sickening.

You’re dead right.
    I’d even suggest all voting advertisements should be online and nothing physical be produced.
    The fact they are still using plastic corriboard election posters while spewing verbal waffle about the environment is a fcukin joke

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I live in Carrigaline and the posters were banned by the Tidy Towns, now that didn't stop a few appearing on the roads on the way in, but generally it was adhered to and was a great idea.
    A lot nicer than the shock of the amount of them stuck in your face in the likes of Douglas.

But for the cable ties, they should be made take them off too, branded ones on each party/candidate poster may be a way to identify culprits. Any posters with generic ones on them should get a fine and any branded ones left have the same treatment.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I live in Carrigaline and the posters were banned by the Tidy Towns, now that didn't stop a few appearing on the roads on the way in, but generally it was adhered to and was a great idea.
    A lot nicer than the shock of the amount of them stuck in your face in the likes of Douglas.

But for the cable ties, they should be made take them off too, branded ones on each party/candidate poster may be a way to identify culprits. Any posters with generic ones on them should get a fine and any branded ones left have the same treatment.

I’d fully agree with a national ban on election posters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Election posters should be banned. A family member used to work as an environment officer (rural equivalent of the litter warden) and took great delight in sending fines out to parties that did not have their posters down within the required time period.

A single pamphlet per party indicating their candidates and aims could be sent to each house in the post, similar to the seanad leaflet, which would actually give more information to voters and cost far less both financially and in terms of damage to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

With social media now and nearly every person in Ireland eligible to vote having access or exposure to it, election posters in leaflets are just pointless waste IMO.

Now I know not every 70 year old + will be on FB or the likes to see what candidate they might vote for but I'd guess social media must account for a serious amount of voter reach at this stage and not just in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

GavRedKing wrote: »
    With social media now and nearly every person in Ireland eligible to vote having access or exposure to it, election posters in leaflets are just pointless waste IMO.

Now I know not every 70 year old + will be on FB or the likes to see what candidate they might vote for but I'd guess social media must account for a serious amount of voter reach at this stage and not just in Ireland.

I'd stay a million miles from letting Social Media control who we see as a potential candidate. Talk about undemocratic. Why would you trust a non-national corporate to provide this?

I have a FB account, but I have not viewed my feed on in about 6 months. There's no way I would expect to view my candidates that way. I expect to see a photo, so I can put a name to a face. Fine with it being in designated areas, or even on removable trailers... but let facebook control it? No, I wouldn't be ok with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There should be an Electoral Commission (like the Referendum Commission) who should be responsible for dispensing information on candidates/elections etc. Every house in a particular constituency should be sent a booklet with details of the candidates standing in that area. Give them a page to outline who they are, their policies etc. so that they can pitch for your vote. Candidates are free to campaign beyond that of course but ban posters on every lamppost and allow one poster per candidate in every town or village in a central location (this is common enough on the continent).

Advertisement