Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPK question

Options
  • 31-05-2019 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

This is my first cycle using OPK's. I have a regular period and thought I had a good idea when I ovulated each month. Ive been testing with the strips for the last week and havnt even got the faintest line for a positive. Im on day 18 now and my period is due in about a week so have I just not ovulted this cycle? Im tempted to think I have dud strips.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The LH surge can be quite short, and some months it happened for me presumably in my sleep so the OPK's missed it. I still ovulated according to blood results those months though.

So could be that? Also, they say that you should have a line darker than the control line but I always went by 'any line is a line' theory and it seemed accurate enough for the purpose.

I only got a positive opk on day 17 and 18 so its possible you havent ovulated yet. Anything below 21 days is still in the normal range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Uptheduff wrote: »
    This is my first cycle using OPK's. I have a regular period and thought I had a good idea when I ovulated each month. Ive been testing with the strips for the last week and havnt even got the faintest line for a positive. Im on day 18 now and my period is due in about a week so have I just not ovulted this cycle? Im tempted to think I have dud strips.

You could have a short LH surge. I bought cheap opks on amazon and tested a few times a day around when I was due to ovulate and sometimes my surge was only lasting a few hours and I would catch it at midnight. I'd also often ovulate the day if the surge too - I took my basal body temp to confirm it had happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On whether you ovulated question...

I eventually came to the understanding that ovulation is the start of the cycle, everything is driven from there. We just number it differently because the period is the visible part. That's why you can get pregnant after a pregnancy, but before you get your next period. Your period will be x days after ovulation (usually 14). I have a very irregular cycle... anywhere between 25 and 50 days... but after loads of blood tests (OPKs never picked up for me) , I figured out I always always start my period exactly 14 days after ovulation. Some women do have anovulatory cycles, (where they don't ovulate , but get a light bleed), but this is pretty rare.

Basically, If you get your period, the most likely scenario is that you did ovulate, but the opk didn't catch it.

Advertisement