Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Marketplace Ads

Options
  • 31-05-2019 10:45am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I decided against putting this in the Cycling Adverts forum as it isn't an advert or promotion of one.
    I'm curious to know: Facebook (when I do open the app) tells me about various bikes for sale on their Marketplace and these generally tend to look decent enough and are priced fairly cheaply.
    I can't help wonder if they're likely to have been stolen. Am I mistaken?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Some might be, some won't be. Same as donedeal, adverts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I find that people who advertise their bikes on marketplace are absolutely clueless about the bike(s) and their ads have next to no detail.

Recently I enquired with a seller about a Ribble Sportive bike he had advertised. His ad simply said 'little use in great condition' No size, groupset or any other details. I asked about size and groupset and was told that the bike is up to his waist and it has gear changing levers on the handlebars. He didn't live far from me so I went to see the bike as he clearly wasn't much use. He genuinely owned it and bought it a few years previous from donedeal but never used it, he was a nice polite young lad and his mammy came out and even asked if I wanted to come in for coffee.

You probably have to base each ad on its merits and going to see it in person, if they want to meet at a filling station or carpark and cant give you any details on the bike it may be suspicious/stolen but in my case, he gave me his eircode and I met him at his home and I would have been happy to buy the bike except it was too small for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I find that people who advertise their bikes on marketplace are absolutely clueless about the bike(s) and their ads have next to no detail.
    Thanks.
    I'm not in the market to buy currently but that doesn't stop me looking.
    I always find it strange that someone has what appears to be a good bike and all they can say is that it's a "racer" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Some are some aren't. I sold my crashed Scott Frame and was very honest about it, sold it cheap just to get rid, I was ordering a skip to get rid of stuff and decided to flog off a load of bits I had cluttering the place. Turns out I don't need a skip now :/

Anyway, you never know the circumstance and judge each one on it's own merits

Advertisement