Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain the dislike towards Ryanair?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The amount of people I hear giving out about paying for the extras (during booking, not on the flight). It's quite simple, check the cost on another airline who give you everything included and then check the price on Ryanair, including seat selection and priority boarding (as it includes carry on luggage). Ryanair are usually still cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What annoys me about Ryanair is since they changed there policy on cabin bags most people now have priority boarding. I don't want to stand next to the plebs in the que. Fu*k sake.

You need to get to know some Ryanair staff. I almost always get onto the plane first because one of my mates working there will come out and let me skip the queue and bring me out first.

Same here I flew with Ryanair all my life they are cheap and on time when I’m with them and never had any bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

What annoys me about Ryanair is since they changed there policy on cabin bags most people now have priority boarding. I don't want to stand next to the plebs in the que. Fu*k sake.

You still go first. And get on first. Unless there are buses. Buses screw that up.

Doesn’t really matter these days with assigned seating.

Whether I’m priority or not, I always wait till last. If I’m struggling to find space in the overhead locker for my bag, the staff will always give a hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I think that this post sums up why people don’t like Ryanair - snobbery.

The only actual complaint is the legroom.

On the plus side their seats don't recline.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They do clearly state on the website about bag sizes etc.

I got caught with my little roller bag recently. Only cost me an extra 45e altogether so not too bad considering the price of the flight itself was reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Bassfish wrote: »
    On the last family holiday we flew out with Aer Lingus and came back with Ryanair as the times worked out better. The Ryanair flight was no more hassle than the Aer Lingus flight from booking to landing and at least 30% cheaper, bags and all. Hitting you for all the extras is an industry standard at this stage.
    Most people won't remember the days of Aer Lingus Cork to Heathrow return costing 300 punts return, but it did!

i dont think Ryanair is cheaper is as true as it used to be.

Often I have found AE to be cheaper with better flight times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

naughtb4 wrote: »
    i dont think Ryanair is cheaper is as true as it used to be.

Often I have found AE to be cheaper with better flight times

Not always no but I will fly with which ever one is cheaper and better flight times. Ryanair's sometimes have better flight times too generally in the sense that to some destination they might have two or three flights a week to whereas Aer Lingus may only have one flight a week to.

Also find Ryanair have a better choice of destinations than Aer Lingus in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Flew with them this month. Sat on the tarmac for an hour and a half after boarding for some reason on the way out. Then the flight was about an hour late coming home. They bused us all out to the plane, but had us wait on the very hot bus for about 25 minutes while they cleaned up the plane. Would have been better to just tell us there was a delay than the wait. The reason I don't like them is things like this routinely happen when I fly with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,220 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I thought their 'bad reputation' had pretty much worn off at this stage.

It has more or less. They are indeed a little less ‘convenient’ to fly with then some other carriers but for the saving and some other pluses it’s worth it..mostly. Or is it...

Negatives :

Staff - the quality has improved but in some instances the overall friendliness and helpfulness leaves something to be desired. This might not be the staffs fault in its entirety as it seems to be that flexibility especially is not encouraged.

Boarding / de boarding - to incur less in the way of charges Ryanair in most airports use ‘non contact stands’ or gates without air bridges in the furthest most far flung corners of airports. This means walking in all weathers across the ramp to the steps of your aircraft, rail, hail, sunshine or snow.

Terminals - again to reduce costs Ryanair are often using less passenger friendly facilities. I’ve taken some late flights with them after a day working away to find after a long walk to a gate no other option then a vending machine to get some chow.

Comfort onboard - seat pitch isn’t too bad but I find the newer aircraft the seats are rock hard. Not a comfy journey.

Pluses :

Excellent on time departure record

Mostly unbeatable Price

Variety of destinations

Young reliable fleet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It's part of a British tabloid inspired post colonial mentality here. The British media hate to see an Irish success that the best in the game, they'll take any opportunity to knock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I agree with you re the Ryanair seats - they are uncomfortably hard. Legroom is at least on par with the other airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭cml387

Ryanair are fine, they are cheap and cheerful.
    Overall the problem is not Ryanair per se, but the whole experience of flying has deteriorated markedly in the 30 or so years I've been travelling.

I used to look forward to travelling by air, as an avowed "aerosexual" but now just want to get it over with.

Thats mainly down to the panic-induced security forced on us since the Americans massively effed up on 9-11.

Shoes on or off, liquids, barked instructions from security (in fairness Dub is not the worst).

The methods used to force you to keep shopping by late opening gates (yes, it's done).

ATC go slows by entitled controllers in France or Spain where the job and associated militancy is passed from Father/Mother to Son/daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Unemployment benefit/assistance has to be collected in person from the local post office.

Ninja edit:
    I can state absolutely that my description is 100% accurate. TMI in previous version

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I like Ryanair for the most part. I've seen most of Europe very cheaply. I've only ever had 1 bad experience with them in the days before they started to work on their customer service. My bag was weighed at the gate one time and it was 10.1 kg (limit was 10 kg). Was told I'd have to pay €50 to put the bag in the hold. It seemed excessive for being one tenth of a kg over the weight limit but the gate attendant insisted I check in my bag. I'd say fair enough if it was was really overweight. I just took my book out of my bag and put my socks and underwear into my coat pocket and it brought the bag down to 9.9 kg. Attendant said I could board without checking my bag. I told the gate attendant I was still boarding the plane with 10.1 kg worth of stuff and asked what the point in making do that was. She just looked right through me and suddenly pretended I wasn't there. No common sense applied to the situation at all. Would still fly Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I don’t get the general disdain some people have - as said, they still offer the best value most of the time. But it does seem that later flights (evening/night) are always delayed.

My only two gripes are the hand luggage and seating. Not for the usual reasons though - the new hand luggage rules mean everyone is piled into the fúcking aisle for ages (when the whole idea behind this was to reduce delays?!) and half the time there isn’t room for all the bags anyway. I always liked putting mine in the hold. The seats - I never pay for priority, but I sometimes get window seats. Which means the people in the outer seats have to move to let me in :confused: they could really do with some kind of seat-ordered system, maybe it would be too confusing but I would imagine it could reduce ‘people congestion’.

I rarely fly with anyone else. Even when I lived in Paris, I always flew with them. The airport they use isn’t even in paris, but you can be sure your plane won’t be leaving til the shuttle gets everyone in - whereas going to CDG the train always breaks down, so you end up leaving just as early to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ryanair is a great company - they made air travel accessible to regular people. Irish folk used to get the bus to London back in the day because flying with Aer Lingus was extortionate - literally.

I wonder will people avoid their 787 Max planes when they start flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I miss the yellow stickers. I would always volunteer to have my bag put in the hold. They are making it easier for me, I can board last and no stress over locker space. EasyJet still do this if a flight is busy, you leave your bag in the trolley outside

Plenty of selfish people ripping off their stickers in the stairway, yep cute hoors indeed but enough did it and the air hostess has to walk up and down looking for space that didn’t exist

Now I’ll pay €8-€12 for what used to be free.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I miss the yellow stickers. I would volunteer to have my bag put in the hold. EasyJet still do this is a flight is busy.

Plenty of selfish people ripping off their stickers in the stairway, yep cute hoors indeed but enough did it and the air hostess has to walk up and down looking for space that didn’t exist

Now I’ll pay for what used to be free.

Flying back from Birmingham one day and one hostess was taking small bags from overhead and giving them to their owners to stow under the seats. She held up a small Victoria’s Secrets bag demanding its owner to identify themselves. A young lad, late teens, early twenties raised his hand sheepishly and a huge cheer went up! You won’t get that camaraderie on Aer Lingus!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

This attitude makes me laugh.

I'd take a group of "scummers" on a hour long flight over annoying little brats who's parents can't be arsed to control any day of the week!

To add to that story we were kept in the plane on the tarmac in Dublin airport for over two hours waiting, with no proper explanation. So I spent over 4 hours on a plane one way, with extras from Love/Hate.

J_A_F_A wrote: »

It’s more than being a snob. When you have to sit bedside Tomo from Tallagh and Beyoncé from Ballmun and they are loud and drinking throughout the flight and you have no escape from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

J_A_F_A wrote: »

This! It's great. All airlines should have this on short haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Does anyone actually ever win anything on the scratch cards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

The Ryanair flights I took to Bristol and back when I lived in the U.K. were business. Early flights though. On that route aer Lingus was inferior.

Oh Aer Lingus are no great shakes. If I'm flying short haul, I tend to opt for Ryanair. Much more punctual. Aer Lingus is more relaxing but if they are delayed, forget it. Ryanair will try to make up time, at least.
    I'd be on flights to Amsterdam every few months for work - there is feck all difference between the passengers on each airline, especially at weekends.

Really, I fly midweek with them, in the afternoon and the Ryanair crowd tends to be far younger. You'll always find bunches of lads on the Ryanair flights midweek.
    Wheety wrote: »
    The amount of people I hear giving out about paying for the extras (during booking, not on the flight). It's quite simple, check the cost on another airline who give you everything included and then check the price on Ryanair, including seat selection and priority boarding (as it includes carry on luggage). Ryanair are usually still cheaper.

By far. I use them for short flights, with the exception on Luxembourg where I use Luxair. They have a great service, free food and drink and it costs me < €100, including hand luggage and a check in bag in that price.
    It's part of a British tabloid inspired post colonial mentality here. The British media hate to see an Irish success that the best in the game, they'll take any opportunity to knock them.

Try again. Ryanair have a massive European hub in Stansted and they have more flights in and out of the UK than Ireland.

Know a few people who've won free flights but you have to pay the taxes on them. Don't buy them myself. Don't buy drinks or food on Ryanair flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Will never ever fly ruin air again. It's more expensive on aer lingus but I dont care. Prefer to be treated like a human.

I’d doubt it and the charity side of them is probably a lot less than the stewardesses make out.

You get a load of them for around €12 and still no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Will never ever fly ruin air again. It's more expensive on aer lingus but I dont care. Prefer to be treated like a human.

And Aer Lingus don't treat passengers in the same way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

€80 for over baggage limit
    €40 not checking in online
    €~ on a business trip alone behind a stag party

The final one is the very essence of my failure in life.

Advertisement