Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain the dislike towards Ryanair?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

My dislike for them centres on how they treat their staff, which is quite poorly and they seem like a horrible company to work for. The cheap flights might be great and they have been instrumental in bringing down the cost of flying but ask yourselves would you like to work for Ryanair?

pauliebdub wrote: »
    My dislike for them centres on how they treat their staff, which is quite poorly and they seem like a horrible company to work for. The cheap flights might be great and they have been instrumental in bringing down the cost of flying but ask yourselves would you like to work for Ryanair?

The workers obviously choose to work there so the conditions can’t be that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

There have several thousand people on high 5 figure and 6 figure incomes who seem to be content.

If I was younger and was looking for airline related work they would be very high on my list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I know plenty of pilots who've worked for them. Great starter airline, lots of routes etc. It's hard graft but a great route into the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

bear1 wrote: »
    My recent issue with them is their idiotic policy that if i want to sit next to my partner I need to cough up more money to them.
    The amount of flights where people with families I've been on where they are scrambling to sit together is ridiculous.
    You see a flight for 50e and think that's a bargain. Then they make you add this that and the other and the price suddenly starts to double.
    Want to bring more than 2 shirts on your holiday? OK that's another 20e one way please.
    Priority no longer means anything as everyone buys it.

Funny that. I booked a return flight online to spain with aer lingus out 2 years ago. Myself, partner and 4 year old daughter. We could not pick seats on the flight heading out but could on the return. We ciuld not get talking to anyone in aer lingus to make sure we were sitting together after months of trying.
    Come check in and we told the lady of not being able to pick seats. She guessed it was because the type of plane was not known. We foolishly assumed that she would out us sitting together or at least one of us siting with our daughter.
    We boarded the plane where the attendant comfirmed that my partner was sitting beside my daughter. Well we looked for our seat and to say there was the metaphorical mile between the seats is a grave understatement. Roll on tears from the daughter and very upset partner. All sorted in a few minutes but totally unnecessary. We will never fly with aer lingus again over it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Strumms wrote: »
    It’s simply a tool to extract more fûcking money from your pocket.

If you are getting a train down the country WITH a few mates, going to the cinema WITH them, going to a match WITH them...would it be acceptable for Irish rail after you booked with them want MORE or your money to sit together ? Acceptable for the Odeon cinema to want MORE of your money to sit WITH them ? Ok for Bohemians football club..ok for them to charge EXTRA so you are in the same row beside your mate ?

We have become too used to this airline demanding people follow their rules like a bunch of concentration camp inmates. Too used to accepting thing going wrong or inconvenience because they are CHEAP.

There is a massive difference between NOT EXPENSIVE and VALUE for money.
    Ryanair in my view are beginning to lean toward the NOT VALUE FOR MONEY unless you are a solo traveler.

Booking seats costs extra money on Irish rail in certain circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I used the train going to and from work and a course, and I didn't need to book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

If you don't like Ryanair, that's fine, I don't like coffee but I'm not making up bullsh1t reasons why I don't like coffee, I just dont.
    People complaining saying they don't care if the flight is cheap, they shouldn't have to pay extra to assign a seat.....the flight is cheap to allow you to save money if your don't care where you sit, or assige the seat if you want. It's the best of both worlds but some people are just whinging ****s

The workers obviously choose to work there so the conditions can’t be that bad!

Many of their staff come from poorer countries where there aren't the same opportunities are there are in Ireland. Do they have any Irish flight attendants? They're poorly paid and treated in my opinion.

0lddog wrote: »
    There have several thousand people on high 5 figure and 6 figure incomes who seem to be content.

If I was younger and was looking for airline related work they would be very high on my list.

My focus was on the far more numerous support staff not so much senior management and pilots who would be paid a high salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It stems from the fact that a lot of people don’t seem to understand or won’t accept that you only get what you pay for.

You simply can’t expect to pay say €40 for a flight and receive 5 star treatment.

I have to laugh at all those whining and moaning about Ryanair whilst still using them every time. If they’re that bad then why would you not pay more better service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

No. Complete opposite.thats why I dont mind paying a bit extra.

I mostly fly with Ryanair as I generally find that the places I go to the Ryanair flights suit better this summer Aer Lngus are more convenient so I will be going with them. I haven't any particularly bad expierences with Aer Lingus but have had one with Ryanair however taken into consideration that I've flown with Ryanair more often I can't really speak for Aer Lingus.

I don't see the argument that Ryanair don't treat their passengers as human I don't see what's so inhumane about queuing up showing your passport and boarding pass to the person behind the desk, walking to the plane across the tarmac and up the steps, showing the boarding pass to the flight attendant, placing my bag into the overhead locker, sitting down and off you go.

I find Aer Lingus to be less organised at the more basic stuff for example there recently I was on an Aer Lingus flight that was supposed to leave terminal 2 according to my boarding card but ended up departing from terminal 1 despite having gone through security in T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Anyone complaining about Ryanair should try Frontier or Spirit in the US. Ryanair are cheaper per mile flown, and the experience is so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭holliehobbie

I actually got a full refund from Ryanair for myself and my daughter as I couldn't fly due to developing a DVT. Aerlingus refunded €14 in taxes. In fairness I did have documentation from the hospital but I would have expected more from Aer Lingus than Ryanair. I normally have travel insurance taken out for a whole year but because I was extremely ill (blood transfusions, emergency surgery at 11pm at night, followed by the Surgeon cheerfully announcing that everything he touched was bleeding!) around the renewal time I'd forgotten to renew it. Helped a bit with having to miss my summer holiday and nearly dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Stephen15 wrote: »
    No. Complete opposite.thats why I dont mind paying a bit extra.

I mostly fly with Ryanair as I generally find that the places I go to the Ryanair flights suit better this summer Aer Lngus are more convenient so I will be going with them. I haven't any particularly bad expierences with Aer Lingus but have had one with Ryanair however taken into consideration that I've flown with Ryanair more often I can't really speak for Aer Lingus.

I don't see the argument that Ryanair don't treat their passengers as human I don't see what's so inhumane about queuing up showing your passport and boarding pass to the person behind the desk, walking to the plane across the tarmac and up the steps, showing the boarding pass to the flight attendant, placing my bag into the overhead locker, sitting down and off you go.

I find Aer Lingus to be less organised at the more basic stuff for example there recently I was on an Aer Lingus flight that was supposed to leave terminal 2 according to my boarding card but ended up departing from terminal 1 despite having gone through security in T2.
    I find ruin air so bad with their measuring bags and aggressive attitudes and ignorance that I am quite happy to pay out a bit extra to fly with aer lingus. I am still waiting 4 years later for a response to a complaint sent to o Leary money bag re a group booking involving young children. I update same letter every year or so. An airline that was wonderful was city jet. But I dont think they fly from Dublin to London anymore. They were definitely the cream of the cream and a lot cheaper than aer lingus. Amazing staff on ground and also on the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭trellheim

Ryanair were the cheapest before they started charging for checked baggage, assigned seating . This ancillary revenue is pure gravy for them , their being able to offer the cheapest flights was there before any of that.

This priority boarding is a complete wheeze which hasnt speeded up departure in the slightest its just more ching ching for them.

Good things about Ryanair : getting on and off at the front and back of the airplane , try and do that on Aer Lingus at night in Dublin after a long long flight from down South and your in 29a

I find ruin air so bad with their measuring bags and aggressive attitudes and ignorance that I am quite happy to pay out a bit extra to fly with aer lingus. I am still waiting 4 years later for a response to a complaint sent to o Leary money bag re a group booking involving young children. I update same letter every year or so. An airline that was wonderful was city jet. But I dont think they fly from Dublin to London anymore. They were definitely the cream of the cream and a lot cheaper than aer lingus. Amazing staff on ground and also on the flight.

Surely people know at this stage that when flying Ryanair bring a small suitcase and travel light it's simple stuff really especially now that most luggage on sale in shops these is advertised as being suitable for Ryanair as hand luggage and all the information is clearly posted online on their website and app where you booked the flight.

It's fine that you are not a fan of Ryanair but I generally don't fly to expierence top notch customer service I fly to get from A to B as inexpensively, quickly and as convenient as possible a choice which for me Ryanair typically fulfills.

I'm not sure what the fuss is about assigned seating either of course it's different when you travelling with small children and probably want to sit together. But generally as an adult I wouldn't have a problem sitting apart from the people I'm travelling with for an hour or two considering I'd be seeing enough of them for the days/weeks I'm away.

Right. A short haul flight is faster than a bus to Cork in most cases. The problem with flying is not the flying.

It stems from the fact that a lot of people don’t seem to understand or won’t accept that you only get what you pay for.

You simply can’t expect to pay say €40 for a flight and receive 5 star treatment.

I have to laugh at all those whining and moaning about Ryanair whilst still using them every time. If they’re that bad then why would you not pay more better service?

I’ve had numerous Ryanair flights costing less than €20 return while paying €30 return for bus from Cahir to Airport!

• Advertisement

Ryanair only check bag size now when it’s plain to see that it exceeds their allowance. The only aggressive attitudes I see stems from passengers ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I feel sorry for the cabin crew that have to deal with the dregs of society on a regular basis.

Ryanair is fantastic. No frills product for a no frills price, keeping the whole short haul industry competitively priced although I would prefer to pay a little more to have them treat their staff better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Candie wrote: »
    Ryanair is fantastic. No frills product for a no frills price, keeping the whole short haul industry competitively priced although I would prefer to pay a little more to have them treat their staff better.

What about the environmental factor? Cheap flights mean more pollution. What would a carbon tax do for ticket prices?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I love RyanAir.

Had one issue with them early this year when I bought one of their flexible tickets as didn't know when I'd be coming back from the UK. When I had to change the flight, they tried to charge me the increase on the price of the flight, which I hadn't known about and was a little ticked off about.

I was REALLY annoyed when I realised that the flight I was changing to was more expensive when I was logged into my ryan air account compared to when I was in an incognito tab. I had it changed for free after I called them out about that on social media, but it really annoyed me.

... and i'm writing this from portugal, via a cheap ryanair flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Choc Chip wrote: »
    I love RyanAir.

I was REALLY annoyed when I realised that the flight I was changing to was more expensive when I was logged into my ryan air account compared to when I was in an incognito tab. I had it changed for free after I called them out about that on social media, but it really annoyed me.

"I found out Ryanair gouge a few extra euro out of their regular customers, people like me; I love Ryanair."

It's this attitude that explains why we've had some variety of FFG in power since 1922, I guess...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

"I found out Ryanair gouge a few extra euro out of their regular customers, people like me; I love Ryanair."

It's this attitude that explains why we've had some variety of FFG in power since 1922, I guess...

Except that it costs you nothing extra to vote for another party.

Flying another airline costs about 3x as much for most of my flights and between work and personal life, i fly every week or two.

They've made flying affordable, so yep, i love them.

It's a bus with wings, which is absolutely fine. Until something goes wrong.

When something goes wrong, you want to be flying with an actual airline, preferably one that's part of a group.

And not a bus company. Who have outsourced everything, so you can't even talk to a bus company employee when your flight gets cancelled at 2am.

You seem very angry about Ryanair. Don’t use them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eurozonelady

Personally I love Ryanair and all the budget airlines. I´d love to shadow O Leary and think he´s an excellent business man and character.

My first flight to the continent was nearly 20 years ago and cost about 300 punts, a small fortune for me then. Now travel is accessible.

Generally speaking if you know and have a quick read of the standard Ts & Cs before you fly then you won´t get caught out. And if you don´t, well sorry but you should do for the next time.

If an employee is a dooshbag to you, regardless of what company, it´s up to the client or customer to decide if they want to make a complaint.

I´ve flown tonnes of times with all sorts of airlines and only ever had 2-3 somewhat negative experiences that were employees fault and I stood my ground until both parties were happy.

I´ve also chanced my arm with a few extra kilos or extra bottles of wine etc (back when you could bring them in your hand luggage) and been let through. A couple of times I´ve had stuff taken off me, but I knew that it was a risk and had accepted that outcome.

So I think people who complain have kind of fecked up themselves and won´t assume responsibility, maybe not in all cases but 99% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Gorteen

It's simply about price for me.
    Booked flights yesterday for family of four to Portugal.
    Ryanair = €659
    Aer Lingus €932

Advertisement