Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawthorn trees flowering pink

Options
  • 31-05-2019 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Is there any reason why slot of hawthorn trees are flowering in more of a pink/blush than the normal white flowers this year?

I noticed a nice tree in the wild in full pink bloom and thought it was a different species of hawthorn to the average hawthorn but since then I've noticed quite a few more of these pink trees and even noticing that all the ditches and hedges between fields here are blushing as opposed to the normal white flower.

I'm in Donegal maybe it's something to do with weather but I never noticed hawthorns as pink as I have this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Same in Co. Carlow! Apparently the blooms turn pink on very old Hawthorn trees. The pink blooming ones here are very old afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What's the difference? Hawthorn, Whitethorn, The May, Sceach Gheal - one and the same :) Ours are a pinkish alright but not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

There's a red flowered variety as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Get a mix around my house every year often side by side with different shades of pink and white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What's the difference? Hawthorn, Whitethorn, The May, Sceach Gheal - one and the same :) Ours are a pinkish alright but not unusual.

All one and the same. The predominant flower colour is white but there is a regressive pink flowering as well. Most areas have a mixture of both but there are areas where pinks extremely rare or even predominant, depending on the pedigree of the plants.

Selective breeding has produced cultivars of Red flowers or strong pink shades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I've been wondering this for the last few years where I've seen single trees with both the pink and white flowers???

Lots and lots this year, and lots of hawthorn just covered to bursting with the beautiful white flowers. Lovely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Our hawthorn starts white and the flowers turn pink/red-ish shortly before the petals fall off.
    I always thought that that was normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

peasant wrote: »
    Our hawthorn starts white and the flowers turn pink/red-ish shortly before the petals fall off.
    I always thought that that was normal.

Mine are starting off pink and turning white when they fully open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,488 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is there an answer to this?

I presumed it was a difference between trees but I've the opposite to the opening poster in that I had a tree that was brilliantly pink almost red flowering a few years ago and this year it's almost completely white flowering. It's been an exceptional year for flowering hawthorns in this part of the world (wexford) but exceptionally white.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is there an answer to this?

I presumed it was a difference between trees but I've the opposite to the opening poster in that I had a tree that was brilliantly pink almost red flowering a few years ago and this year it's almost completely white flowering. It's been an exceptional year for flowering hawthorns in this part of the world (wexford) but exceptionally white.

It has been a great year for haw thorn flowers here in Cork as well. Can't say I have been able to pick up on any particular tree having changed its flower colour from other years but I have noticed recently the nigella that has grown up this year is all blue and white flowers while last year there were some pink as well. The ground was a bit drier than usual when they were starting to flower so maybe that has an effect. I have heard the way hydrangea flowers come out in pink or blue depends on the soil acidity so maybe something similar is happening with the hawthorns and a dry May leads to a different soil pH and more white flowers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,488 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

This is the same tree.
    It might not look it from the ash trees in the background but a few paces to the left and I'd be in the same spot as 2016. So trust me on this. :D
    The flowers on this tree looked even whiter and brighter before this wind today.

20190602-164656.jpg

20190602-165059.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Don’t bring the flowers of the hawthorn into the house.its bad luck from the pookys if you take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

It's the same in Nth Co Dublin; pink and white on the same tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Ours were mostly white this year and then turned to pink before dropping off. I always thought it was climate related as I remember one particularly warm May where they turned a really deep pink. The white bloom's were lovely this year though despite the unseasonably chilly weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

There is also specific red Hawthorn called a Pauls Scarlett. seen them in a nursery a few years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Don’t bring the flowers of the hawthorn into the house.its bad luck from the pookys if you take them.
    and don't pull down a hawthorn tree to build a car factory.
    Construction begins within weeks, delayed only by a disagreement over the fate of a lone hawthorn in the middle of the pasture. The Irish workmen are convinced it’s a “faerie tree” and won’t touch it.

“It was just a scraggly bush,” William Haddad writes, “but to the trained eye it had mystical qualities. According to the legend, if a person cut down a faerie tree, he would soon lose a limb in retaliation… Bulldozers skirted it, trucks avoided it.”

Then one morning the workmen show up and the tree’s gone. Someone has pulled it down overnight.

“It’s a bad sign,” Haddad quotes a dismayed Irish workman as saying. “It’s a dark day. You have wrecked everything we’re building. The faerie tree will see to that.”
    https://theoutline.com/post/6776/john-delorean-rise-and-fall-big-money-the-fbi-celebrities-and-cocaine?zd=1&zi=c6d22hrf

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

That is a blast from my long ago childhood.. No hawthorns around here as I have just realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Ros1234

I haven't seen any pink Hawthorn bushes by me or on the roads I travel, (live in west cork) is this a yearly thing in some parts of the country I wonder?

Advertisement