Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble unlocking Eir phone

Options
  • 31-05-2019 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi
    I bought a used phone which was locked to Eir, when I try to contact Eir I am asked for an account number, which I obviously do not have. I tried their chat option but they do not seem to read the queries as they keep asking me for the mobile number. Please can someone shed some light on this as with Three it is a simple form on their website?

Thanks Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hi
    I bought a used phone which was locked to Eir, when I try to contact Eir I am asked for an account number, which I obviously do not have. I tried their chat option but they do not seem to read the queries as they keep asking me for the mobile number. Please can someone shed some light on this as with Three it is a simple form on their website?

Thanks Patrick

The original owner would need to request it. They won't give it to you. What phone is it? Most can be unlocked by codes available on eBay for very little. Some as little as a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 evereadyeire

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    The original owner would need to request it. They won't give it to you. What phone is it? Most can be unlocked by codes available on eBay for very little. Some as little as a euro.

Hi

It is my understanding that the network is obliged to unlock a phone once the contract has ended. Why would I pay money when Eir are obliged to unlock it?

Patrick

Hi

It is my understanding that the network is obliged to unlock a phone once the contract has ended. Why would I pay money when Eir are obliged to unlock it?

Patrick

They are oblidged to unlock it for the original owner as they had a contract with them. You didn't. You should have got the owner to unlock it before you bought it. You'll be wasting your time contacting eir. For all they know you robbed the phone and want to unlock it.

As I said above codes can usually be gotten cheap online. If you tell us what phone it is we could even recommend a seller and it'll be unlocked in the next few hours.

They are oblidged to unlock it for the original owner as they had a contract with them. You didn't. You should have got the owner to unlock it before you bought it. You'll be wasting your time contacting eir. For all they know you robbed the phone and want to unlock it.

As I said above codes can usually be gotten cheap online. If you tell us what phone it is we could even recommend a seller and it'll be unlocked in the next few hours.

Hi

It is an iPhone 7 thanks

Hi

It is an iPhone 7 thanks

Unlucky, iPhones are more expensive to unlock.

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Iphone+7+unlock+eir+Ireland

Maybe the person you bought it from can submit a request with eir.

• Advertisement

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m4084.l1313&_nkw=Iphone+7+unlock+eir+Ireland

Maybe the person you bought it from can submit a request with eir.

As I said why should I pay money when it is out of contract a few years...

As I said why should I pay money when it is out of contract a few years...

I have seen Eir staff on here sorting this type of problem out.... Anyone from Eir out there?

I have seen Eir staff on here sorting this type of problem out.... Anyone from Eir out there?

There used to be a "talk to eir" forum here on boards but it closed at the end of March. Since you aren't the original owner Eir won't entertain you. If you can contact the seller ask them to request it. If not, I'd try and sell it as "locked to eir" phone and cut your loses.

Or switch to Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'd lose the sense of entitlement you seem to have about the unlock op as it won't get you very far.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The way Apple operate locking some operator locks are processed by the MNO only and you can't pay a third party to do it. iPhones are unique in this sense.

OP would have done well to do a little homework pre purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement