Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How is a man supposed to find a woman in the 21st century

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    The woman generally stayed at home and raised the kids in previous generations. The family could buy a house, eat and pay bills on one salary. Nowadays with women’s liberation and progress, both parents have to work to fund a mortgage and bills. Childminders generally raise kids nowadays.

Capitalism at its finest.

You'll find people who blame women's liberation and progress. Bit off topic but this is what happens when we remove discussion of wealth taxation and only tax income. Wealth is protected so it accumulates. Income is taxed so if you don't have wealth you find it very difficult to get any wealth because your income is fair game for tax, but wealth isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don,t think womens lib is the cause of rising house prices, people are still getting married .
    Dating may be more complex now ,when a woman can click an app
    or tinder and see a 1000 potential dates ,
    when in the old days you went to a bar or a nightclub and tried to chat someone up,
    or ask for a dance.
    i think the people are waiting longer to get married,
    or just moving in together and living together for years .Before the 90s,
    it was possible for just one person to buy a house ,
    now it takes 2 to buy a house in a city ,unless you are on a very high wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The woman generally stayed at home and raised the kids in previous generations. The family could buy a house, eat and pay bills on one salary. Nowadays with women’s liberation and progress, both parents have to work to fund a mortgage and bills. Childminders generally raise kids nowadays.

Damn them darn women for wanting a career in this generation. How dare they!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Maybe watch a few animal mating documentaries to give a general flavor of how to approach the thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Sell drugs, any lads I know that sold drugs had women hanging out of them ....����

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Sell drugs, any lads I know that sold drugs had women hanging out of them ....����

This is true.....but bringing even more wimminz.hassle than usual doing this though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

anewme wrote: »
    Damn them darn women for wanting a career in this generation. How dare they!

Not saying that but it just means you need two salaries now to pay a mortgage and both parents in full time employment. Just saying that it’s two steps forward one step back. What have women really gained from working full time? Now they can’t be with their kids, they work full time and have to pay a child-minder on top of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Not saying that but it just means you need two salaries now to pay a mortgage and both parents in full time employment. Just saying that it’s two steps forward one step back. What have women really gained from working full time? Now they can’t be with their kids, they work full time and have to pay a child-minder on top of it.

That only applies to women who have and want kids. What about the women who love their careers and don't want to have kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You're working to pay someonw else to rear your children and often to be in rhe house you never see during daylight and to enjoy it with them. Makes you wonder . Those who don't or wont work get to select the house Nd number of rooms where they want to live and the working poor pay for their rent as well as their own mortgages and childcare. It's a total farce. Two households living side by side one working and never seeing their children and the other dossing off their labour and effort and having as many xhildren they want without bothering to wonder how or who they will ge supported by. Thus country is gone mad. Why bother meeting someone when you can spawn your way through the masses and never have any responsibilities or accountabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

That only applies to women who have and want kids. What about the women who love their careers and don't want to have kids?

They're making a mistake.

When they're older they'll realise their career meant almost nothing.

• Advertisement

OMM 0000 wrote: »

No, they are not. They are making a choice for themselves.

Different strokes for different folks.

Not everyone can have kids.

Not everyone wants kids.

What would be a mistake to me, is to sit at home minding kids, going slowly out of my mind, while relying on someone else to give me my pocket money. If others want to do it, so be it, but its not me.

There is not one solution to fit all and its not really your place to tell others that they are making a mistake because it's not what you would like or agree with.

No, they are not. They are making a choice for themselves.

Different strokes for different folks.

Not everyone can have kids.

Not everyone wants kids.

What would be a mistake to me, is to sit at home minding kids, going slowly out of my mind, while relying on someone else to give me my pocket money.

There is not one solution to fit all and its not really your place to tell others that they are making a mistake because it's not what you would like.

I'm not talking about people who can't have kids. Obviously that's a totally different situation.

I'm also not saying having kids means you need to become a housewife.

I'm talking about the women who think they don't want to have kids, and think their career is a good substitute.

I have never met a woman who didn't regret it when she got older.

Sure it's fine when you're 33 and enjoying single life, but when you're 60 and coming home to an empty home? That's a mistake.

Wouldn't every woman rather their kid runs up to her, "welcome home mommy, I love you", instead of being old in an empty home?

And you speak for all women who choose careers over family, is that correct?

And you speak for all women who choose careers over family, is that correct?

What do you think boards.ie is?

It's a place people give their opinion on things. It's an entertainment website.

You're also welcome to give your opinion on things.

I'm not going to assume you're speaking for an entire race or gender.

That would be mental of me, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Nikki if you are the kind of person who is happy to be at home full time good for you. Not everyone wants to do that.

What have women gained from working? I get a huge amount from my job. Financial security and independence, a sense of achievement that I'm making a difference to people's lives, a sense of satisfaction and good mental health. I didn't work my arse off to sit at home and stagnate.

Funny how the pressure to be at home only ever seems to be put on the mother.

It's a place people give their opinion on things. It's an entertainment website.

But you are answering on behalf of women as if you know better than what they want themselves. You don't.

Im not going to answer on behalf of a man, as I'm not a man.

Absolutely it is a forum where opinions can be shared, but I see no sense of thought put into your last two posts. Enormous sweeping generalisations that women would be happy coming home to a house at 60 to their kid saying hello. This may shock you but not every woman wants kids, not every woman wants a full house to come home to and not every home full of kids is a happy one. You saying that women will regret picking career over family is nothing short of an ill-informed and extremely nonsensical point.

Wouldn't every woman rather their kid runs up to her, "welcome home mommy, I love you", instead of being old in an empty home?

No every woman wouldn't.

Some would, some wouldn't.

For me, the best welcome in the world comes from 4 furry paws and a waggy tail.

Absolutely it is a forum where opinions can be shared, but I see no sense of thought put into your last two posts. Enormous sweeping generalisations that women would be happy coming home to a house at 60 to their kid saying hello. This may shock you but not every woman wants kids, not every woman wants a full house to come home to and not every home full of kids is a happy one. You saying that women will regret picking career over family is nothing short of an ill-informed and extremely nonsensical point.

Think things through before posting.

Almost all women want children. That's a fact. How do we know this? Because almost all women have children.

Therefore it's not an "enormous sweeping generalisation" to say "women would be happy coming home to a house at 60 to their kid saying hello".

Do you really believe what you're saying, or do you just come here to argue with people?

You're not making sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

If you want to be able to **** everything that moves you have to be willing to **** anything that moves OP.

Its how you master your craft.

Study this guy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacomo_Casanova

No every woman wouldn't.

Some would, some wouldn't.

For me, the best welcome in the world comes from 4 furry paws and a waggy tail.

How old are you?

I'm not talking about people who can't have kids. Obviously that's a totally different situation.

I'm also not saying having kids means you need to become a housewife.

I'm talking about the women who think they don't want to have kids, and think their career is a good substitute.

I have never met a woman who didn't regret it when she got older.

Sure it's fine when you're 33 and enjoying single life, but when you're 60 and coming home to an empty home? That's a mistake.

I've worked with women who have regretted having children, these women are older now with adult kids so it's not the ranting of a tired woman juggling a newborn. My own mother never wanted children and chooses not to be part of their lives despite now being elderly and alone. Not every woman will have a happy experience, some children are hard for even a parent to love. No one talks about it because of the stigma but there are many parents out there who would rather they never had kids

Open your mind a bit.

Btw I understand there are childless women will defend their decision to the death. They have to, of course. The alternative is pretty painful...

Obviously I know there are some women who really don't want to have children. But they're rare. We know this because most women have children.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I've worked with women who have regretted having children, these women are older now with adult kids so it's not the ranting of a tired woman juggling a newborn. My own mother never wanted children and chooses not to be part of their lives despite now being elderly and alone. Not every woman will have a happy experience, some children are hard for even a parent to love. No one talks about it because of the stigma but there are many parents out there who would rather they never had kids

Open your mind a bit.

You say this like it's common though...

And define regret.

You're saying she really would rather go back in time and have an abortion? Of course not.

Everything is a sacrifice, and having children will always give you some regrets.

Btw I understand there are childless women will defend their decision to the death. They have to, of course. The alternative is pretty painful...

Obviously I know there are some women who really don't want to have children. But they're rare. We know this because most women have children.

Ha ha I thought you were a serious poster at first but your "opinions" are clearly just to get a reaction. I suspected it when you said that mind games don't exist in the workplace a while back but your last few posts have confirmed you are a wind-up merchant. Most women do this, most men do that etc.

Not hard to see the enormous flaws in your statements. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

How old are you?

Old enough to know what I want and know that I love my life and will have no regrets.

Old enough to know what I want and know that I love my life and will have no regrets.

Can you at least admit you're very much in the minority?

You say this like it's common though...

And define regret.

You're saying she really would rather go back in time and have an abortion? Of course not.

Everything is a sacrifice, and having children will always give you some regrets.

I'm not saying it's common, I'm saying it's more common than people realise

I'm not saying it's common, I'm saying it's more common than people realise

I can accept that.

Out of all of the people I know, I'm the happiest, least stressed. I xcome and go and account to no one.

Many of my friends regret having children, not regret them now they are here, but wish their lives were different and that they could have had their own lives and if they had it again might do it differently and might not have had children.

A large number are separating and some are living in the same home, but living apart as finances keep them there. Not working for years means no independence. But would love to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The women can't be with their kids? What about the men who can't be with their kids.

To answer your question, they gained the freedom to have jobs and careers. Capitalism in its infinite wisdom, is able to pay people too little to buy a house and resists attempts to raise wages.

I'll never forget watching Bill o reily fox news one day. He was glorifying the good ole days when his grandfather was a janitor in a hospital for his whole life. He had a wife and family and a house which was all paid for by the one janitor job. Obviously he spoke well of his grandfather.

Bill would rant about how terrible social welfare is and how people in welfare are "takers". But if his grandfather were a janitor today he would be completely dependant on social welfare for housing and living day to day. Owning a House and having a family would be out of the question. But he would also rave against any efforts to raise wages or trade unions collective bargaining for the poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think there are far more people who had kids so that someone would love them and that the kid would be the answer to all their existential issues and perhaps even what their failing relationship needs than miserable people alone with no children. People I know who decided not to have kids are the most interesting people I know who enjoy life too much to ever have had time for kids or wanted them.

Out of all of the people I know, I'm the happiest, least stressed. I xcome and go and account to no one.

Many of my friends regret having children, not regret them now they are here, but wish their lives were different and that they could have had their own lives and if they had it again might do it differently and might not have had children.

A large number are separating and some are living in the same home, but living apart as finances keep them there. Not working for years means no independence. But would love to leave.

I feel you're not being completely honest here. But it's OK. Let's leave it there.

I feel you're not being completely honest here. But it's OK. Let's leave it there.

I have a feeling you have issues with most things women say unless it ties in with your world view

the c suite exec legend graces another thread with their magnificence.

made any woman the happiest in the world yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

She's really not.

I don't have kids, I never wanted to have kids, I'd much rather have a dog :)

I kept wondering if the 'broodiness' that's supposed to totally consume every women once she hits her thirties would change how I felt, but I've still no interest whatsoever in having children.

In any case it's a bit difficult for parents to actually tell anyone that they regret having their children - what if the kids find out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know several women who don't want kids. They're well rounded and intelligent people. Not everyone needs a kid to be happy. Many people shouldn't have them at all IMO.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I have a feeling you have issues with most things women say unless it ties in with your world view

My world view is people should do whatever they want.

But many people make bad decisions.

This isn't a sexism thing.

My world view is people should do whatever they want.

But many people make bad decisions.

This isn't a sexism thing.

Who are you to say what a bad decision is?

That's his/her "thing" though, look at his past posts about workplaces and meeting new people, which I think is in this very thread. The amount of absolute drivel and flamebait is way too out of whack to be real. The worst thing you can do is feed it.

• Advertisement

the c suite exec legend graces another thread with their magnificence.

made any woman the happiest in the world yet?

You're so upset I'm successful you have to bring it up whenever you see my posts.

Imagine having that level of begrudgery and not being able to let it go.

Are you ok?

B0jangles wrote: »
    She's really not.

I don't have kids, I never wanted to have kids, I'd much rather have a dog :)

I kept wondering if the 'broodiness' that's supposed to totally consume every women once she hits her thirties would change how I felt, but I've still no interest whatsoever in having children.

In any case it's a bit difficult for parents to actually tell anyone that they regret having their children - what if the kids find out?

I can absolutely accept she's not the minority on boards.

This website does not reflect the "average" person.

I think you can admit that.

But you really can't agree the majority of women want to have children?

I couldn’t give a monkey’s uncle whether you believe me or not.

Who are you to say what a bad decision is?

It's called having an opinion.

We are allowed have opinions here, right?

And we're allowed have different opinions...

You're so upset I'm successful you have to bring it up whenever you see my posts.

Imagine having that level of begrudgery and not being able to let it go.

Are you ok?

ey buddy you're paying my wages, i wouldnt hear a word against ya

I couldn’t give a monkey’s uncle whether you believe me or not.

Sure. And you're right. Too many people take this website way too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I can absolutely accept she's not the minority on boards.

This website does not reflect the "average" person.

I think you can admit that.

But you really can't agree the majority of women want to have children?

No, unless the majority of women been polled on the subject, I cannot agree that the majority of women want to have children. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Until fairly recently, they didn't have a huge amount of choice in the matter in this country.

You are entitled to your opinions of course, but you need to accept that they are only opinions and are no more valid than those of any other person. Unless you have some third party data to back them up that is.

It's called having an opinion.

We are allowed have opinions here, right?

And we're allowed have different opinions...

Not sure that makes sense. If a woman tells you she's happy with her life and doesn't regret not having children who are you to tell her it was a bad decision?

That's his/her "thing" though, look at his past posts about workplaces and meeting new people, which I think is in this very thread. The amount of absolute drivel and flamebait is way too out of whack to be real. The worst thing you can do is feed it.

You have me confused with someone else.

I'm very much a believer in people doing whatever they want.

If a woman wants to give up her life and spend 70 hours a week working, networking and planning, all for her career, and she makes loads of money, sure, go for it, but I think that's a mistake. Same if a man does it.

• Advertisement

B0jangles wrote: »
    No, unless the majority of women been polled on the subject, I cannot agree that the majority of women want to have children. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. Until fairly recently, they didn't have a huge amount of choice in the matter in this country.

You are entitled to your opinions of course, but you need to accept that they are only opinions and are no more valid than those of any other person. Unless you have some third party data to back them up that is.

Hang on. You're not being reasonable.

Let's try to compromise. Can you at least admit the majority of women have children?

Advertisement