Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on where to live

Options
  • 31-05-2019 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

Been offered a job fairly close to the Sandyford Luas and a number of Bus Stops on Blackthorn Rd.

Have limited knowledge of the area so looking for advice on what areas I should focus on living in? I know the Luas servers Stillorgan, Dundrum and Ranelagh but are there any other areas nearby or served by the Luas that I'm not aware of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Are you from Dublin?
    How long of a commute are you willing to do?
    What's your budget and do you want to house share or rent a house by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

No not from Dublin.
    Probably share for a while. Would rather keep the commute short if I can, ideally just one Luas/bus trip rather than having to make connections. Budget can be up to 1k a month for the right place but ideally a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Gael23 wrote: »
    Been offered a job fairly close to the Sandyford Luas and a number of Bus Stops on Blackthorn Rd.

Have limited knowledge of the area so looking for advice on what areas I should focus on living in? I know the Luas servers Stillorgan, Dundrum and Ranelagh but are there any other areas nearby or served by the Luas that I'm not aware of?

Have you actually looked at the Luas line map? The three areas you have mentioned are all going towards town from Sandyford, there are plenty of areas going the opposite direction also

Have you actually looked at the Luas line map? The three areas you have mentioned are all going towards town from Sandyford, there are plenty of areas going the opposite direction also

I have but unsure where some of the stops are. For instance Glencairn isn’t a suburb but has a stop

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Look at a map for the Luas stops - this should be a rather obvious first step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Pretty much anywhere within 20minutes walk of the Luas line/several bus routes will be fine for you. The question therefore is, aside from work what other amenities are a priority for you?

Big room/House?
    Keeping cost down?
    Pubs/restaurants/places to go out?
    Fitness offerings?
    Parks?
    The sea?
    Minimising commute?

That's how you can start to narrow it down.

Pretty much anywhere within 20minutes walk of the Luas line/several bus routes will be fine for you. The question therefore is, aside from work what other amenities are a priority for you?

Big room/House?
    Keeping cost down?
    Pubs/restaurants/places to go out?
    Fitness offerings?
    Parks?
    The sea?
    Minimising commute?

That's how you can start to narrow it down.
    Double room, en-suite would be a bonus but not essential.
    Short commute to work
    Close to amenities, gym, supermarket etc.

Those would be my top 3

Don’t mind having to commute a bit but I would rather not leave work at 5:30 and not be home until after 7 for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Dundrum, stillorgan, sandyFord itself. I'd get on daft.ie and filter for those 3 towns first. Google maps should be able to show you where an individual address is in relation to luas stops.

64 listing to share in those 3 towns at the moment well within your budget. Nice areas too, easy to get to city centre for you. Not all double rooms though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Wouldn't the first places to look be the places within easy walking distance?

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anywhere along the green luas will be fine, but also will be among the highest rents in Dublin.

• Advertisement
Advertisement