Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a motorbike, how do you?

• 31-05-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭

So if you have lined up a potential buyer for your beloved bike what are the right steps?
    i.e say they want to take it for a spin, for safety would you ask for a passport, drivers licence to hang on to so you know who they are? What about insurance etc.
    Never sold anything that required this level of security so wondering what others have done in the past?
    Ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Meet somewhere public - a garage. Ask for the full amount in cash and check the notes before handing over the keys. If they dont like that, walk away. Because if he bins it going down the road he can walk and your left with a repair bill. If they are serious they wont mind being asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

GBX wrote: »
    Meet somewhere public - a garage. Ask for the full amount in cash and check the notes before handing over the keys. If they dont like that, walk away. Because if he bins it going down the road he can walk and your left with a repair bill. If they are serious they wont mind being asked.

Cheers GBX, but say they are just coming to view it? See if they like it etc.
    If they asked "could I take it for a spin" then what? I have a car and could follow, also have another bike so could ride with them.
    But back to the legalities of it. Would I have to ring my insurance company? Would they have to have a full/provisional licence?

Fair point about the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

No matter what, have the cash in hand if they are taking it for a spin.
    I'm seeing more ads in done deal now with sellers insisting on proof of insurance before they let is out for a test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

sirmixalot wrote: »
    Cheers GBX, but say they are just coming to view it? See if they like it etc.
    If they asked "could I take it for a spin" then what? I have a car and could follow, also have another bike so could ride with them.
    But back to the legalities of it. Would I have to ring my insurance company? Would they have to have a full/provisional licence?

Fair point about the cash.

Agree with proof of insurance.
    Show them the bike etc, if they are a serious buyer they will have the cash on them.
    Prove i.d. both ways, agree price, they leave the cash with you, then they can take it for a spin.
    If they damage the bike in any way, or are not back in 15 - 20 minutes, its now their bike whether they want it or not.
    You have to be hard nosed about it nowadays, that bike could disappear into a van within 2 minutes of getting around the corner, then what.
    And don't consider for a moment following in your car, not on their bike either, it could be stolen, maybe on your other bike, but only after getting the cash first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dont feel pressured into handing the keys over. They could be very well legit, but if they are serious, they wont be put off with you being cautious of your property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would let them look over it cold as to show it starts right, if they want a spin and don't have the money then just say look I'll bring it out and show you and when fully interested and cash in hand work away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭honda boi

How does insurance work if your bike isn't insured?
    Is your man test driving it actually legal?
    I know my company say the other bike has to be insured for the driving other bikes extension.
    Or do most companies not require the other bike to be insured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

honda boi wrote: »
    How does insurance work if your bike isn't insured?
    Is your man test driving it actually legal?
    I know my company say the other bike has to be insured for the driving other bikes extension.
    Or do most companies not require the other bike to be insured?

Most companies don't require the other bike to be insured, but as with everything that's abused more will start. With the new law you can get serious fines if you allow someone ride uninsured so you want to get a picture of their licence and policy to CYA once you have checked they will be insured.

Another way would be allowing a reputable bike sales or garage give the bike a going over especially if high end... This way you know the bike won't disappear.

Another way would be allowing a reputable bike sales or garage give the bike a going over especially if high end... This way you know the bike won't disappear.

Garages have vehicles stolen all the time. Once the keys are handed over insurance won't cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,343 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GBX wrote: »
    Meet somewhere public - a garage.

Funny how often you see this advice being given to sellers, but the complete opposite to buyers.
    I wouldn't buy from someone unless I knew who they were and where they lived.

Scrap the cap!

Del2005 wrote: »
    Garages have vehicles stolen all the time. Once the keys are handed over insurance won't cover.

I meant for the garage to give bike a going over not hand keys to potential buyer!!!

Funny how often you see this advice being given to sellers, but the complete opposite to buyers.
    I wouldn't buy from someone unless I knew who they were and where they lived.

Meet at a garage/public place to arrange the deal. Buy from the registered address and make sure they come out of the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Make a complete market search. I prefer to check the pictures of motorbike online and then, would prefer to proceed the deal in showroom.

Make a complete market search. I prefer to check the pictures of motorbike online and then, would prefer to proceed the deal in showroom.

That's fine if you buy from a dealer. The OP is selling privately so both the buyer and seller need to protect themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »
    Meet at a garage/public place to arrange the deal. Buy from the registered address and make sure they come out of the property.

Not a chance of me meeting someone in an anonymous location - here's but one reason why: https://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-car-sales-4525707-Mar2019/

No money, no test ride. And no, buyer leaving 'his' bike as security whilst out on yours doesn't work: not unknown for the bike they leave to be stolen in the first place.......or car for that matter.

I.D. with pic, use your camera phone.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

So meeting all went well, loved the bike and she wants to buy it, we met in a public place just to view it and answer/ask questions. She wants to get a mechanic to check it over which is fine (it has 4400km on it since October last year so practically new) she is going to pay cash most probably at my house when she collects.
    I guess I'll have receipt made up for the transaction.
    Also what then with the tax on the bike (up in Oct) does that still stay as is or do I have to cancel it? Also logbook, I guess I get her details and send back with the new keepers info right?
    Have been living in the UK for many years and the DVLA make it very simple to transfer ownership, is it the same case here?
    Thanks all for the advice so far.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not a chance of me meeting someone in an anonymous location - here's but one reason why: https://www.thejournal.ie/stolen-car-sales-4525707-Mar2019/

Who said anonymous location? I said meet at a garage or public place, these always have CCTV, and do the deal at the registered address. There is no record whatsoever if you meet at a random house.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JCbiker

sirmixalot wrote: »
    So meeting all went well, loved the bike and she wants to buy it, we met in a public place just to view it and answer/ask questions. She wants to get a mechanic to check it over which is fine (it has 4400km on it since October last year so practically new) she is going to pay cash most probably at my house when she collects.
    I guess I'll have receipt made up for the transaction.
    Also what then with the tax on the bike (up in Oct) does that still stay as is or do I have to cancel it? Also logbook, I guess I get her details and send back with the new keepers info right?
    Have been living in the UK for many years and the DVLA make it very simple to transfer ownership, is it the same case here?
    Thanks all for the advice so far.

Tax stays with the bike. I bought mine with a years tax.
    Previous owner put a years tax on it as an added selling point.

You fill out the VLC cert together (change of ownership) and you post it to shannon.
    Don't give it to new owner, let them take a photo.

I made a receipt on my phone and got seller to sign it just for peace of mind

Advertisement