Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I responsible?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

They would be likely to scratch the tires, not the metal of the car, ive had cats my whole life and theyve never scratched a car like that.

OK. You've never seen it. But It happens.

And BTW the solution is to wash the part of the car the cat scratches with the odour eater that destroys the smell cats lay down. It takes the object out of the game as no cat has their scent on it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

OK. You've never seen it. But It happens.

Probably but its not likely, her car could have just as been easily scratched by the chickens

Yeah. I didn't say anything about sharpening claws. I said the reason they would scratch something smooth is because scratching produces scent which marks the object for other cats to smell.

There wouldn't prefer scratching metal. But it could be important to mark that area of the car with scent. For example of another cat sprayed it. It could also be sitting on the bonnet and scratching the car as it gets on and off. Not impossible. Not even terribly unlikely.

Run a small rescue, and also have a lot of feral cats visit our property for food and never had any car scratched.

We also have chickens, none of the cats would go near them, and that includes the feral ones also. Not saying it's impossible for them not to but never seen it in over 15 years of having both.

OP is just talking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

Ok...I’ll bite..... if you are feeding the cat regularly, you are responsible for damage caused by it, if you don’t want the cat around....stop feeding it, if you want the cat around accept responsibility for the actions of the animal, I wonder if you would take the same attitude if cat was replaced with child?

I laughed at the thought of a 3 year old wrestling chickens and keying Audi's lol

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Put a bell on the cat?

Better to put a bell on the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Fun thread :p

I did a bit of googling out of curiosity and it appears that OP is correct in that, unlike dogs, cat owners are not liable for their actions as cats are considered as animals that roam and unlikely to cause damage.

Also it would seem it is up to the injured party to find ways to deter cats from their garden.

(I learned something today :))

OP you can take the moral high ground and tell your neighbors you have no legal obligation but I would suggest that your cats life expectancy will be shortened....and when you accuse your neighbors of doing something to your cat... they will ask if you have any evidence!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

OP, you strike me as someone who is utterly irresponsible. You are the reason that there is an inherent hatred of cats in Ireland and in Irish society.
    Don't project your own little hate-fest on Irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

This thread is gas. Reminds me of the time my dog killed and ate a young lad. Neighbour had the cheek to call the gardai! I mean, c'mon, you can just have another kid, get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Run a small rescue, and also have a lot of feral cats visit our property for food and never had any car scratched.

Our cat definitely scratched my parent's cars when I was growing up, she would lie off on the bonnet when it was warm and ended up scratching them quite badly as a result (showed up worse on black paint).

OP my guess is that you are choosing to remain ignorant of any advice you are being given here and were just hoping everyone would back you up but I do think you should get your cat neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

boege wrote: »
    Fun thread :p

I did a bit of googling out of curiosity and it appears that OP is correct in that, unlike dogs, cat owners are not liable for their actions as cats are considered as animals that roam and unlikely to cause damage.

Also it would seem it is up to the injured party to find ways to deter cats from their garden.

(I learned something today :))

OP you can take the moral high ground and tell your neighbors you have no legal obligation.....!!!
    Google some more. As already mentioned earlier, there is case law following loss of domestic fowl to a cat which ruled:
    "If an owner knows that their cat is liable to cause damage and the owner (and others) know that if the cat escapes it is likely to cause that damage, then the owner is held liable for any such damage".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes you are responsible. At least morally anyway.

If your dog did the same thing then would you feel responsible?

However I'm not sure of the legal situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Cats are problem because we just don’t know what they get up to. Caught my own down the lane once and he had this bitch cornered; had a sinister look in his eye she was crying for help it was harrowing.

Couldn’t live with the realisation I was giving refuge to a rapist. Neuter the bastard.

Advertisement